Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THE src9 was every thing the research said it would be ....accurate, a pleasure to shoot, easy to handle recoil and a really really nice trigger. A great looked too. My first time ever shooting her was a jam extravaganza. I shot 150 rounds of Aquilla (made in Mexico) 115 grain ammo.I couldn't get through one mag without multiple jams. It did improve some toward the end. This is my fourth Ruger and my first problem. I'm thinking ammo, break-in as possible causes. I did clean and oil it before the range. The issue seems to be a recycle problem. The spent shell gets trapped in the chamber as the next round attempts to chamber. Sometimes the next round does chamber but the empty round is stuck in with it. I have to drop the mag. The spent shell and the attempted to chamber live round would fall out with the mag. When the live round does actually make it into the chamber ,only the spent shell will come out with the mag, and I will have to pull out the live round from the barrel. I took it down at home and there seems to be metal filings . This is leading me to believe that its not just a break in or ammo issue. I'm calling Ruger support tomorrow. Man! I know i would have been raving about this beauty if not for the issue.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The only time my SR9c acted like that was when I reloaded my first batch of 9mm and the powder charge was too light. Prior to that, I had fired many hundreds of factory rounds that cycled fine. Never tried Aquilla though. If you also experience the slide not locking back on the last round fired, I would then certainly suspect light loads. I suggest trying some different ammo before blaming the pistol. Ruger might recommend the same. Hopefully the shavings you saw came from the jammed cases. Good luck, and hope you find a quick solution.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I did clean it prior to the range. I'm gonna try a diffrent ammo hopefully it makes a different. Im not sure what the filings are from. I don't think its the case filings.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Have another shooter try it as well it may just be you too....is this your first semi auto? you may be limp wristing the gun without realizing it. Or it could be the ammo, try some good quality ammo like Winchester, Federal, or Remington and see if that doesn't make a difference. I've got the SR9, SR9c and SR40c and have never had a problem with any of them.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have another shooter try it as well it may just be you too....is this your first semi auto? you may be limp wristing the gun without realizing it. Or it could be the ammo, try some good quality ammo like Winchester, Federal, or Remington and see if that doesn't make a difference. I've got the SR9, SR9c and SR40c and have never had a problem with any of them.
No, not my first semi auto. I'm going to try different ammo. I used a loop and magnifying glass to inspect the filings. Some filings appear to be the cases (gold color) and what i believe to be the aluminum (silver color) portions of the front and the the very rear of the lower half (plastic portion of the gun) . The areas that the slide rides on. It could very well be the ammo and just break in. Ill keep the thread posted.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yea that is unusual....I'd sure be interested to hear what those filings are all about, I've never encountered anything like that with any of my SR's. Good luck. I know Ruger CS will make it right!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update! I changed ammo and was able to get through two mags with one fail to recycle.than I switchedback to the (Mexico) cheap ammo and had no fails. In the end of 150 rounds of changing ammo back and forth, there were 3 fail to recycles. I believe that it needed a break in period. I will take it down and see what happeneds on the next trip. Much better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had 3 FTFs in my first 150 rounds with the SR9c but I've read on various other forums that failures are rare after the gun breaks in. My only gripe is the STIFF slide but otherwise I love this little pistol. I really love the trigger...perfect!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the video . I did clean and oil a gun before I even fired it . I still had a bunch of failure to cycles. I brought it home and cleaned it again. The results was my update . I don't believe the ammo had anything to do with it. I think another cleaning and another trip to the range will complete the break in ..However, I will clean the striker this time . I did called Ruger , and they suggested I change ammo and that it was a break in issue .

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've had 3 FTFs in my first 150 rounds with the SR9c but I've read on various other forums that failures are rare after the gun breaks in. My only gripe is the STIFF slide but otherwise I love this little pistol. I really love the trigger...perfect!
go to Galloway Precision for a 14# recoil set up.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, this is an update....my third time at the range was 150 rounds without an issue . Apparently the whole jam issue was a break in period. There was a guy at the range with an Sr9 c that has never had an issue since new. I guess some guns are tighter than others and some need break in and some don't. This gun was really acurate at 15 yards. I had no problems hitting small paper plates at that distance . I really love this gun a lot.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I guess some sr9c need a break in period and some don't. I didn't even clean mine when I took it too the range for the 1st time. And the only 2 jams I got was because I wasn't holding the gun properly. This was my 1st gun and my 1st simi auto. Once I was told the proper way 500 round without a hick up. I have over 4000 rounds with zero issues.

·
Registered
49 Posts
brigond, Thanks for the update, glad to hear its shooting right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
At least I am not the only one having issues with the SR9c

This is what happened to my SR9c Only 42 shots fired and this happens, You can see the bad casting
How could anyone trust this firearm if really needed. This was not a smart choice on my part buying Ruger again and I bought 2 (sr9c & sr40c) at the same time. Support was lazy & unprofessional. This Thursday will be 2 weeks waiting for a RMA form.

·
Registered
2 Posts
At least I am not the only one having issues with the SR9c

I love the guns, They Grip nice, great trigger ,balanced very well, but how can one know if this is an issue will all of them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts