Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I absolutely love the way the SR9c shoots. I was a bit concerned when I had several times where the trigger didn't reset. Because I read this forum, I saw that many have suggested that Ruger Support be contacted....So I did. They had me return it to them and within 7 days sent it back to me working like a champ. Since then, I have put several hundred rounds, of different types of ammo, through it and it has been flawless.

Now this brings me to the "but....." in the subject line. While my training as a police officer has always been to count rounds and be keenly aware of the situation, I find that the SR9c does not help me in areas of my tactical training.

Tactic: Be aware of your resources (rounds left) and if necessary, knowing that you have one round left in the chamber, hold a suspect at bay and do a tactical reload so that you will not run out of ammo.

Problem: The SR9C does not allow you to fire the weapon if there is not a magazine in the weapon. This defeats common sense in a situation where you need to count on the ability to use the chambered round if necessary when reloading. How do others SR9c users work with this inability?

Second item would be one that I can live with and learn to adjust my tactic. I have been trained on .45 caliber 1911 style weapons for duty so it is a normal to use the slide release to bring the slide forward after a reload. The SR9c does not have a slide release, it has a slide stop so this practice is not one that can be used...so I will re-learn.

I have 37 years in law enforcement and it is hard to unlearn at times. On the Ruger website they have a "LE/MILITARY" section for the law enforcement and military professionals. They market the SR9, SR9c, SR40 and other weapons. I guess my question on this is do they really think LE/Military would consider these weapons for critical duty tactical usage?

Now I don't want to create a forum fight at all, and I know my training is not always used in the shooting of the weapon, but I guess I am just a bit disappointed that the weapon does not help us in tactical situations.

I do use the weapon at home for defense now, I don't carry it any longer and this is my choice. I just need wisdom from others, what have others seen that may help this great weapons few shortcomings?

I appreciate your comments and God Bless America.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Being that the SR model pistols are Ruger's first attempt at striker fire pistols, I think there will be changes in the next generations of these guns. Take the slide safety for example... with the original design of this gun (no Glock style trigger), this safety was necessary. Personally I think there are too many safeties on this gun now. With all of the safety features, I think Ruger has made their target consumer to be one that is looking to buy their first handgun and is scared. The more safety features the better, right?? Not necessarily in my opinion.

I think if Ruger wants to be taken seriously by LE/Military, they will at least have to rid themselves of the magazine release safety. I think removing the slide safety would also be a wise idea. But to a consumer looking for a less expensive gun and is inexperienced with firearms, they might be drawn to the multitude of safeties on their gun.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You are right. It is very easy to remove the magazine disconnect. It falls out when disassembling the striker for routine cleaning. I don't think LE would want to modify their guns to be able to use them especially considering it will more than likely void the warranty. It would make a lot more sense for them to spend $100 more for each gun and buy a Glock that will allow them to shoot straight out of the box.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I absolutely love the way the SR9c shoots. I was a bit concerned when I had several times where the trigger didn't reset. Because I read this forum, I saw that many have suggested that Ruger Support be contacted....So I did. They had me return it to them and within 7 days sent it back to me working like a champ. Since then, I have put several hundred rounds, of different types of ammo, through it and it has been flawless.

Now this brings me to the "but....." in the subject line. While my training as a police officer has always been to count rounds and be keenly aware of the situation, I find that the SR9c does not help me in areas of my tactical training.

Tactic: Be aware of your resources (rounds left) and if necessary, knowing that you have one round left in the chamber, hold a suspect at bay and do a tactical reload so that you will not run out of ammo.

Problem: The SR9C does not allow you to fire the weapon if there is not a magazine in the weapon. This defeats common sense in a situation where you need to count on the ability to use the chambered round if necessary when reloading. How do others SR9c users work with this inability?

Second item would be one that I can live with and learn to adjust my tactic. I have been trained on .45 caliber 1911 style weapons for duty so it is a normal to use the slide release to bring the slide forward after a reload. The SR9c does not have a slide release, it has a slide stop so this practice is not one that can be used...so I will re-learn.

I have 37 years in law enforcement and it is hard to unlearn at times. On the Ruger website they have a "LE/MILITARY" section for the law enforcement and military professionals. They market the SR9, SR9c, SR40 and other weapons. I guess my question on this is do they really think LE/Military would consider these weapons for critical duty tactical usage?

Now I don't want to create a forum fight at all, and I know my training is not always used in the shooting of the weapon, but I guess I am just a bit disappointed that the weapon does not help us in tactical situations.

I do use the weapon at home for defense now, I don't carry it any longer and this is my choice. I just need wisdom from others, what have others seen that may help this great weapons few shortcomings?

You obviousy have to carry a firearm that you are comfortable with, It would appear that the SR series doesn't meet your need.

I hightly doubt that Ruger is planning on removing all the "liability minimizing, keep the lawyers happier" safety garbage. If you look at their last few years worth of new models, the tendency is to add more because it lets them get into more markets.

I really had no opinions on the mag disconnect safety feature (required by some states) until recently.

I was having breakfast with a law enforcement friend of mine and he asked to see my SR9c. First question he asked was if it had a mag disconnect and I said yes. He said he would never have a duty weapon that did not have a MD. He said the mag disconnect saved his life in the early 1990's and he proceded to tell me the story. A drug hyped guy bigger than him (and my friend is a big guy, too) got the jump on him as they were struggling in an area where slippery conditions existed They both fell and the bad guy ended up falling on top of my friend.

(Please no comments on waiting till back up comes. Sometimes things just don't happen that way. If we could all wait for backup, none of us would need to carry, ever.)

However, back up was on its way (later it took 5 officers to subdue the perp) but my friend was on the floor with a big guy sitting on his chest swinging at his face and reaching for his duty weapon. Knowing that he was going possible going to pass out from lack of air, he figured that he could take a beating easier than a bullet. He popped the mag and got it across the room. He remembers the guy getting the gun (a S&W) and the click as it was pointed at his forehead with a round chambered. This happened almost 20 years ago.

I will always look at mag safeties in a different light.

I'm not sure how the tactical reload is an issue with one in the chamber and a mag disconnect. I'm assuming that the old mag isn't dropped until you have the new one in hand ready for insertion. the second and a half needed for a mag changes either happens then or after you've used that last round and you have an open slide. I'm assuming too, that the situaltion is half way under control since your are "holding the suspect at bay."

If you really don't want a MD, it takes about 15 seconds to remove the mag disconnect compnents on an SR series firearm. In fact, when the striker is being removed for cleaning, the parts pretty much fall out. Don't kid yourself, the striker channel must be cleaned on any firearm. They do get dirt, etc. and light strikes will happen.

Same thing happens when dirt gets between the firearm wall and the trigger bar. When it gets dirty in there, the trigger bar gets sluggish and may not reset. After 2000 rounds, I've had neither happen but I do clean both of those areas.

Perhaps many of the Law Enforcement agencies don't require the external safeties but I think that the Berettas used by militaries have at least some of them. There is also a 92 model with a mag disconnect.

External safeties and racking the slide rather than using the slide release (or slide lock) are a training issue. Muscle memory can be retrained. Sometimes is isn't wrth doing. Only you can make that decision for yourself.

(This was a long post for my feeble typing skills. I see that others did mention the Mad disconnect removal info while I was typing)

·
Registered
250 Posts
I’m pushing thirty years of LEO service and currently carry a departmental issue late model 3rd gen G-22. Your tactical reloads or malfunction “tap/rack/bang” drill’s should always be paramount in your mind while shooting. If by some bizarre chance I knew that I only had one round left in my handgun while covering a suspect I would never attempt a reload because the suspect sure isn’t going to know any different. S&W used to make a big deal out of officer safety with the 39/59 etch series of pistol’s because of the magazine disconnect safety. Officers would remove the magazine before going into the jail with a prisoner or if they got into a scuffle with a suspect. Officer training, an accessible BUG and the proper mindset really dispel any concern’s I would ever have pertaining to a magazine disconnect safety. Oh BTW I own a Ruger SR9 and consider it to be a first class pistol.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Yes, the mag disconnect is simple to remove. In fact, if you're doing much range work and need to "show clear and hammer down" you'll want to do that anyway to avoid unnecessary wear on the striker.

I've read several posts that would indicate that the magazine disconnect and LCI were added to meet consumer safety laws in Massachusets, California and some other states. I have no idea if that's really true but just throwing it out there as something I've read on different forums.

The slide lock can be a bit of a pain but, IMO, once you get used to it, not that big a deal. No, it's not the best choice for a competition gun but I didn't see them advertising it as such.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hightly doubt that Ruger is planning on removing all the "liability minimizing, keep the lawyers happier" safety garbage. If you look at their last few years worth of new models, the tendency is to add more because it lets them get into more markets.

I really had no opinions on the mag disconnect safety feature (required by some states) until recently.

I was having breakfast with a law enforcement friend of mine and he asked to see my SR9c. First question he asked was if it had a mag disconnect and I said yes. He said he would never have a duty weapon that did not have a MD. He said the mag disconnect saved his life in the early 1990's and he proceded to tell me the story. A drug hyped guy bigger than him (and my friend is a big guy, too) got the jump on him as they were struggling in an area where slippery conditions existed They both fell and the bad guy ended up falling on top of my friend.
MNDoggie you have given me a perspective that I have never thought of and I thank you. I do see the importance for the MD and I don't think I will remove it. I will keep it at home for home use since I can put a butt load of 9mm bullets in the extended mag (If I can't defend myself with that I need to just give up).

Thank you to those that gave me the info on the Mag Disconnect video and info, your comments were appreciated.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
MNDoggie you have given me a perspective that I have never thought of and I thank you. I do see the importance for the MD and I don't think I will remove it. I will keep it at home for home use since I can put a butt load of 9mm bullets in the extended mag (If I can't defend myself with that I need to just give up).

Thank you to those that gave me the info on the Mag Disconnect video and info, your comments were appreciated.

Although I've never removed my MD other than for cleaning, I always kinda though it would come out permanently one day.

I was pretty much in the 60% range against it. Now I'm down to only 40% against of it because of my friends story. There is no doubt, there are times when it is a pain.

It's really something people need to think about and decide what works for them and their comfort level.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Although I've never removed my MD other than for cleaning, I always kinda though it would come out permanently one day.

I was pretty much in the 60% range against it. Now I'm down to only 40% against of it because of my friends story. There is no doubt, there are times when it is a pain.

It really something people need to think about and decide what works for them and their comfort level.
Yes sir, it did make me think twice about it also.
Respectfully,
Joe

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I have seen posts complaining about the mag disconnect, but it is staying on mine. It is a reassuring thing when taking the wife or children to the range to know that with the mag dropped, they are not going to have an unintentional discharge.

Sitting in a drawer with the mag out but handy earns points for safety also. Slip in the mag and it is ready to serve its purpose without operating a slide. Quick and quiet.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I think most of us will never experience a point where the MD actually causes a real life "situation" and most people complain just to complain.

If I were ever in a bad situation with a bad guy, I personally feel as though 1 -my reloading is fast enough, and 2 -If I didn't get the bad guy with the first 17 shots, maybe he lost count also.

In terms of a military/LE pistol, I agree that you are correct with your concerns. For the other 95% of us, The SR9c is fine, IMHO.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts

The mag disconnect can be diabled if you really want to do that. A lot of guys have. Personally, it doesn't bother me, as my main carry weapon is a Colt Defender, 3" 1911. Check out YouTube for Remove SR9c Magazine Disconnect. I got an immediate hit of to videos for how-to's on removing it.

As far as I know, Ruger doesn't submit their weapons for any sort of military or LE usage. They have a hard enough time keeping up with production for the public. I don't know what they would do if they had Glock's business!

The SR9c is extremely reliable. With about 1,000+ rounds or so through mine, I've yet to have a single failure and while I don't shoot the Russian stuff, I buy fairly inexpensive ammo. Sellier & Bellot is one of my favorite 9mm rounds. I know that several LEO's on the forum depend on SR9c's for SD or a BUG.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I initially removed the MD, but didn't feel enough difference in trigger pull to be worth it.
So, I put it back in.
The frame safety is a non-issue. You can use it, or not.
The slide release works no better, yet no worse for me, than one on a Glock or M&P.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
My slide "lock" was very hard to release at first, but now it works as a slide release perfectly well. It says in the manual that it can be used in either way.
I just went thru the latest SR series manual on the Ruger website and found no instances where it said the slide stop could be used by itself to release the slide causing it to move forward.

In every case, it said pull back on the slide to release it.

Do you have a page number where Ruger says it can be used as a slide release?

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
I just went thru the latest SR series manual on the Ruger website and found no instances where it said the slide stop could be used by itself to release the slide causing it to move forward.

In every case, it said pull back on the slide to release it.

Do you have a page number where Ruger says it can be used as a slide release?
I think the prefered method to release the slide lock on an SR9c or 40c is to just pull back the slide and then let it go forward on it's own, providing you have ammo loaded into it. I don't like letting the slide snap back hard when there aren't rounds loaded into it.

Both my 9c and my 40c were too stiff for me to use the lock as a release at first. They're just now getting loosened up to the point where I can snap it off with my off hand. I don't have the thumb strength to do it with my shooting hand, though I can do it easily on any of my 1911's.

It looks cooler to release the slide with a flick of your thumb on your shooting hand, but it really makes no difference to me.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I think the prefered method to release the slide lock on an SR9c or 40c is to just pull back the slide and then let it go forward on it's own, providing you have ammo loaded into it. I don't like letting the slide snap back hard when there aren't rounds loaded into it.

Both my 9c and my 40c were too stiff for me to use the lock as a release at first. They're just now getting loosened up to the point where I can snap it off with my off hand. I don't have the thumb strength to do it with my shooting hand, though I can do it easily on any of my 1911's.

It looks cooler to release the slide with a flick of your thumb on your shooting hand, but it really makes no difference to me.
As you are well aware, this topic has come up in many, many threads. Ruger has always stated in their manuals that it is a slide lock .

When people called Ruger and said they wanted it fixed because it they couldn't press it down to release the slide like on some other firearms, they were told to not use it as a slide release.

I responded to the post becasue someone said the manual says it can be either a slide release or a slide lock. If that is the case, it would be a shift in Ruger's position. My printed manuals don't indicate that, nor does the .pdf file listed on Ruger's website.

I never use the "slide release" on any of my semi autos. If there is a round to be chambered, it's sling shotted. Otherwide I pull back on the slide and press down the slide lock and slowly ease the slide forward.

I'd like additional confirmation that Ruger has really changed their postiion. In a year from now, somone will read this thread and say Ruger says it's a slide release. If that is true, fine. I'm not positive it is the case. If it is not it should be corrected now.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have been seeing post about the MD on the SR9c but being a civilian I never gave it much thought but after reading this thread the MD on my SR9c will remain intact. Appreciate the the posts, thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.