Ruger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here with a 2 week old SR9C. My first compact 9mm. I've loved my 92FS, but wanted a compact to get used to while I stand in line to get my CCW. I love the size, grip, trigger...no complaints. I looked at virtually every compact 9mm on the market before picking this one up; M&P9, Glocks, Springfield XD, even a used but nice Walther PPK (I have a PP in .32 auto, so I just had to look it over).

My second range session with the SR9C was nice. Took some time to sight it in a bit; ended up raising the rear sight just under 3 full turns. Much better and I know I'm the problem when I have a miss. Have close to 500 rounds through it now. Having had my 92FS for so long, I'm impressed with how easy the SR9 is to shoot...just a pleasure to send rounds downrange. To me, recoil feels softer than I expected for a smaller gun. It's getting easier each time to get the gun back on target fast after each round.

I did some ammo testing this time. FMJ: Winchester White Box, Federal Champion brass, Blazer brass and some Redline 115 reloads (100 rounds of those alone)...all fired smooth and with zero issues. I thought after a good 500+ ball ammo break in, I could try some hollow points.

At the end, I shot 6 each: Winchester Elite 147g; Hornady Personal Defense 124g; Federal Hydroshock; Speer Gold Dot. All fired beautifully.

Got home, checked the gun...not bad at all. Out of the approx. 350 rounds I shot today, it seems none of the ammo was what I'd classify as "dirty" ammo. Just did a quick cleaning and put it back together. Had so much fun I almost drove back to shoot some more!

Thinking of it as a concealed carry gun, I thought about weight, size, holsters, etc. I picked up a DeSantis mini slide. Wearing it for a few days, it gets more comfortable and I find myself getting to like it more and more. I'll pick up an IWB holster eventually, but this isn't hard to conceal, imho.

I know it's only a couple of weeks and just over 500 rounds, but I could not be more happy with the SR9C. Getting easier to rack the slide the more I fire it, easy to strip and clean, not crazy about the magazine safety but I like the manual safety a lot - especially if I plan on carrying with a round in the pipe.

Like it! :D

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I like the manual safety a lot - especially if I plan on carrying with a round in the pipe.

Like it! :D
After carrying the LC9 for six months, the trigger on the SR9c is almost scary light. I would have no problem carrying the LC9 with the safety off, but not the SR9c. A great weapon, though. Accurate, comfortable to carry and to shoot.

·
Registered
90 Posts
After carrying the LC9 for six months, the trigger on the SR9c is almost scary light. I would have no problem carrying the LC9 with the safety off, but not the SR9c. A great weapon, though. Accurate, comfortable to carry and to shoot.
I carry the SR9c for my EDC and love it. It has performed flawlessly no matter what I feed it

I agree, I would not carry it with the safety off. I use a crossbreed supertuck and still don't trust that I won't mistakenly get a finger or something caught in the trigger guard while holstering or something. No, still pretty new. I need the safety pacifier.:eek:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
My SR9c is my everyday carry piece. I've shot it a lot with a lot of different ammo. The only problem I ever had was with one round of Hornady Critical Defense 124gr. Those rounds have a truncated head and one of them got hung up on the feed ramp one time only. If I had polished the ramp, it probably wouldn't have happened. I'll get around to doing that one of these days.

For regular carry I generally just use plain old PMC 9mm FMJ. It always feeds well. It may not be the most powerful ammo, but I have lots of them. I always carry both the 10 round and the 17 round mag when I'm out.

The SR9c is a pure joy to shoot well. Somebody would have to come up with a superstar of a pistol to ever get me to switch from my Ruger.

I do carry my SR9c with one in the chamber and the slide safety on (in an OWB holster). If I'm driving I usually check it a lot as my seatbelt has a tendency to push the safety off when I'm driving.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Defense ammo

My SR9c is my everyday carry piece. I've shot it a lot with a lot of different ammo. The only problem I ever had was with one round of Hornady Critical Defense 124gr. Those rounds have a truncated head and one of them got hung up on the feed ramp one time only. If I had polished the ramp, it probably wouldn't have happened. I'll get around to doing that one of these days.

For regular carry I generally just use plain old PMC 9mm FMJ. It always feeds well. It may not be the most powerful ammo, but I have lots of them. I always carry both the 10 round and the 17 round mag when I'm out.

The SR9c is a pure joy to shoot well. Somebody would have to come up with a superstar of a pistol to ever get me to switch from my Ruger.

I do carry my SR9c with one in the chamber and the slide safety on (in an OWB holster). If I'm driving I usually check it a lot as my seatbelt has a tendency to push the safety off when I'm driving.
I like the external safety, mostly because both of my other handguns have it - I'm simply used to it. I like consistency-it becomes muscle memory over time. For defense/carry ammo, my preference is Winchester Elite or Speer Gold Dot. Local shop here had sales last year on both and I stocked up thanks to family giving me gift cards to the shop for birthdays, etc. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Beretta is like an extension of my arm after having it for several years and praticing with it as my home defense pistol. The safety is something I never have to second-guess anymore.
As for problems with different handguns, pretty much andy make/model that exists I've heard first and second hand about mechanical issues with them. I'm happy with my choice. The Ruger is a nice quality gun and it shoots beautifully for me. 9mm is plenty of firepower for my needs.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I bought a stainless KSR9c in 8/11 and it's been my EDC since. The KSR9 has been my nightstand gun for 2 yrs now. I love them!

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
My Beretta is like an extension of my arm after having it for several years and praticing with it as my home defense pistol. The safety is something I never have to second-guess anymore.
As for problems with different handguns, pretty much andy make/model that exists I've heard first and second hand about mechanical issues with them. I'm happy with my choice. The Ruger is a nice quality gun and it shoots beautifully for me. 9mm is plenty of firepower for my needs.
The SR9c was a great choice. It's an excellent firearm and I don't have any negatives for it. I also have an SA XDm9c 3.8" and I've got to say, I think it might be the better shooter of the two and it holds 13+1 or 19+1, depending on the mag. I do have Trijicon HD sights on it and that helps a lot. The SR9c just has the stock white 3 dots.

But for a carry gun, the SR9c wins hands down. It's a much less bulky gun and very easy to carry. During the fall shootoff I'm going to pit them against each other and see which one wins. It's going to be close.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I bought a stainless KSR9c in 8/11 and it's been my EDC since. The KSR9 has been my nightstand gun for 2 yrs now. I love them!
What's the K for?

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I can't add much to the conversation, I have had my 9c since August and love it. I looked at tons of guns and kept coming back to the Ruger. It just felt better and the ability to carry with the 10 rnd magazine sold me. Now I am looking for a good pocket pistol but the LCP just doesn't appeal to me.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
"K" is the designation for stainless slide. "B" is the designation for blued slide
Ah, it must be the model number on the box. I guess mine is a K and my SR40c would be a B.

Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts