Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am a new Ruger owner. Never had a hand gun before. I just bought it two days ago and noticed that when I would work the slide with the 17 rnd mag the rnd would jam going in. I figured it was just a break-in thing with a stiff spring in the mag. If I only put 5 rnds or so in the mag, I didn't seem to have the same problem. I should note that I did not clean and oil the gun at all. I tried manually jacking the rnds in and out, working the slide manually but it jammed most times. I just took it out to the range to fire full mags and it jammed around 15 times on the first 40 rnds. It jams two different ways. The ejecting case would get caught or the incoming rnd would not make it up into the chamber. I never got more than 3 or 4 shots off without a jam. I am using Independence 9 mm Luger 115 gr FMJ ammo. At this point I am thinking of taking it back to the dealer. But I thought I would check out the internet to see if this is a known problem and what others do about this. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you're new to handguns I wonder if the jambs when firing could be limp wristing and the jambs when loading a round could be following or easing the slide forward. Did you try the 10 round magazine? If not maybe there is a problem with the 17 round mag. I have never had a problem with my sr9c in close to 4000 rounds and I've shot lots of Independence 115 grain. I have on occasion tried to loosen up my grip and cause a limp wrist jamb just to see how loose a grip would cause this and still it functioned perfectly. If none of the above is the answer get someone at the range to fire it, if it still happens call Ruger CS, they will make it right.

·
finder of holes
186 Posts
Hi,
I am a new Ruger owner. Never had a hand gun before. I just bought it two days ago and noticed that when I would work the slide with the 17 rnd mag the rnd would jam going in. I figured it was just a break-in thing with a stiff spring in the mag. If I only put 5 rnds or so in the mag, I didn't seem to have the same problem. I should note that I did not clean and oil the gun at all. I tried manually jacking the rnds in and out, working the slide manually but it jammed most times. I just took it out to the range to fire full mags and it jammed around 15 times on the first 40 rnds. It jams two different ways. The ejecting case would get caught or the incoming rnd would not make it up into the chamber. I never got more than 3 or 4 shots off without a jam. I am using Independence 9 mm Luger 115 gr FMJ ammo. At this point I am thinking of taking it back to the dealer. But I thought I would check out the internet to see if this is a known problem and what others do about this. Any recommendations?
Whenever you buy a new firearm you need to clean the factory oil/grease off and oil the slide and internal mechanisms lightly. Try cleaning and oiling it then go shoot it again.

If this doesn't work go straight through Ruger not the dealer. Ruger has great CS.

·
Registered
218 Posts
As others said above, you need to give it a good clean & lube and keep a firm grip. It's easy to limp wrist the subcompacts like the SR9c

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read about the limp wristing on this forum after I had shot a couple clips. This could be part of the problem but I have shot several 9 mm handguns before and have never experienced a jam on any of those guns. In fact the only jams I have seen when shooting with my daughter and son-in-law were caused by the ammo (son-in-law loads his own). I did field strip the gun and clean and lubricated this afternoon (after shooting it). I didn't see any excess grease or anything that might cause the jams. I will give another chance later this week. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
26 Posts
SR9c Jams

Hi,
Mine had about 1 failure to feed in about every 50 rounds until I had about 200 rounds through it and the problem went away. Regardless of what some may say this is a pistol that just needs a little breaking in. I love this gun...probably my only complaint is the stiffness of the slide. After over 400 rounds through it, it seems to be VERY stiff.:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Anyone at your range to ask...?

Hi,
Is there a range master where you shoot that you could ask to observe you shooting? I saw two new handgun shooters at my range today that had some problems. One of the guys there helped them with grip and arm technique and they had a blast after that...and no more feeding issues. Little things can make a big difference.

I'm NOT an instructor, but one of the best tips I ever got (long time ago) was to grip the pistol HARD with my shooting hand and use the other just as a rest. Since then, my accuracy improved, things fell into place. Just a thought - not guaranteeed fix. Take your time sighting and getting back on target before squeezing off the next round.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I just bought it two days ago and noticed that when I would work the slide with the 17 rnd mag the rnd would jam going in.
The way you worded the above makes it sound to me like the problem occurs when you MANUALLY work the slide to charge your weapon. If that is the case the problem most likely lies in the way you're manually releasing the slide. The guide rod springs are pretty stiff on the SR9c and especially so when it's brand new. If you get an experienced pistol [as opposed to revolver] shooter to check out your new toy I think you'll find you need to refine your slide releasing technique. Then too, just getting used to the specific gun plus the effect of use on the new springs may help. Those SR9C guide rod springs are STIFF!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Another problem could be how you are loading the Mags. Make sure each round is pushed fully back in the mag when loading. What I do is after I load the mag I tap the casing side of the mag against the heal of my hand. This helps to seat all the rounds into the mag.

If you follow all of the advice given so far, you will eliminate your problem and really enjoy your SR9c.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have shot 1000+ rnd in my sr9c and not one jam...Try giving it a good cleaning. I also shoot 115g rounds of whatever is cheepest. I clean my weapon about every third trip to the range but run a bore snake through it after evry trip. If you shoot at a range ask one of the guys who work there, they might be able to identify what is going on. The range I shoot at the staff is very helpful...Don't give up, it's a great little gun!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own 3 Rugers one being an SR9C. It is my opinion that Ruger auto's should be cleaned before shooting the first time. Both my sr9c and sr9 jammed when new and I had not cleaned either one before the first shooting. My sr9c had severe FTE issues. In this case I cleaned it thoroughly and locked the slide back for 3 days. Have never had another problem. The LC9 has never jammed not once. I like the sr9c the best of the 3 however I just did the ghost/rocket trigger mod on the sr9 and WOW, what a difference. It now shoots as well as the sr9c.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I picked up an SR9c a couple weeks ago and have put 200 rounds through it including 100 rounds of Tul Ammo (9.50/ 50rd box at walmart) and 100 rounds of Winchester (25/ 100rd box) and have not had a single issue whatsoever. I took a ppk, 1911, M&P, and my SR9c to the range today and my SR9c was the only one that didn't jam at all. I am very impressed with this firearm so far!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate all the inputs above. I have cleaned the SR9c several times and shot it on a couple occasions. The third time I field stripped the gun to clean I discovered that there was a very small metal edge on the casted barrel on the upper left notch as the round enters the chamber. Couldn't see it until I felt it (snagged the cleaning cloth). I carefully filed that off and no more problems. I also find that if I try to fire in a semi-rapid manner, I am less likely to limp wrist it.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Glad to hear you resolved the problem. Because of other posts, I've also inspected the barrel on my SR9c and filed off the burrs. I wasn't having any problems but wanted to remove the peened edges.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Certainly happy to hear you got it worked out memmons. I am strongly considering the 9c for my first pistol as well and had a quick question for you... and any others who qualify.

For those of you who have one or the other, what were your deciding factors between the sr9c and the sr40? Given they are the exact same price, have the same capacity, and ammo costs seem about the same (from what I can find)......
I'm trying to decide if I should go with the 40 or the 9mm.

Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have the SR9 and the SR9c. The reason I went with 9mm was because of the lower cost of ammo. I also have several .45 pistols so if I need something more powerful than the 9mm, I would go with 1 of the .45 guns.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went out to buy the Ruger LC9 as it was recommended by a former Police Chief friend of mine. I am a big person and I found the LC9 too small to feel comfortable. I really wanted to buy the Springfield XDm but it was more than I could afford. I settled on the SR9c just because it felt good in my hand and the price was $100 less. So I guess I went with Ruger in mind and limited by price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts