Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I found the sight after searching on SR9c Jams when new. I bought one and went to shoot it today and it jammed several times. Rounds fail to feed up into the chamber. And sometimes the last one does not eject properly. Went through about 80 rounds and this happened maybe 6 or 7 times. Not real inspiring. Looks like I will need to send it in.

Mike

· Registered
3,855 Posts
Mike, I agree. Send it in. The round trip is about a week and it is worth the trouble. Ruger will email you a shipping label and your only hassle is boxing it up and taking it to Fed Ex. Not much of a hassle. The gun should not be jamming like this.

Just one question -- are you shooting round-nose bullets or some other type of rounds such as hollow points? It should shout about anything fine, but it is a fact that some semi-autos struggle with feeding some types of hollow-point rounds. (This is less prevalent than it used to be.) Does the pistol jam on standard FMJ round nose bullets?

· Registered
332 Posts
Hi,
I found the sight after searching on SR9c Jams when new. I bought one and went to shoot it today and it jammed several times. Rounds fail to feed up into the chamber. And sometimes the last one does not eject properly. Went through about 80 rounds and this happened maybe 6 or 7 times. Not real inspiring. Looks like I will need to send it in.

Mike
Mike, I gotta ask you ...

Are you positive you are *not limp wristing *when you fire the SR9C?

What ammo are you using?

· Registered
34 Posts
Mike Welcome to the forum.
Did you give your gun a good cleaning before you shot it the first time? They sometimes come from the factory loaded with crap. I've got an SR9 and it runs great.
Welcome to the forum from Iowa. I agree with the others about giving it a good cleaning and shooting it again before sending it back. I didn't do it when I first bought mine and had a couple FTE causing jams. Went home, tore it down, cleaned and oiled it, and now have over 400 rounds with no problems at all. Very fun shooter and my every day CCW.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike, I agree. Send it in. The round trip is about a week and it is worth the trouble. Ruger will email you a shipping label and your only hassle is boxing it up and taking it to Fed Ex. Not much of a hassle. The gun should not be jamming like this.

Just one question -- are you shooting round-nose bullets or some other type of rounds such as hollow points? It should shout about anything fine, but it is a fact that some semi-autos struggle with feeding some types of hollow-point rounds. (This is less prevalent than it used to be.) Does the pistol jam on standard FMJ round nose bullets?
I have only shot Remington 115 gr FMJ. Never had that problem with my Smith&Wesson with this ammo.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike, I gotta ask you ...

Are you positive you are *not limp wristing *when you fire the SR9C?

What ammo are you using?
Not sure what you mean by limp wristing? Remington 115 gr FMJ. The 3 ways it was jamming when mag is full at 1st round chamber, fails to properly chamber. On last round in the mag, both 10 round and 17 round. Fail to eject. On last round, slide comes forward like it ready to shoot and empty. In 80 rounds it jammed maybe 6-7 times. I have cleaned it and will try again. I have a Smith&Wesson that has never acted like this.

· Registered
3,855 Posts
Doesn't sound like limp wristing but to be sure you might have someone you know who is an experienced shooter shoot it to see if it happens to him.

Let us know what you do.

· Registered
5 Posts
Not sure what you mean by limp wristing? Remington 115 gr FMJ. The 3 ways it was jamming when mag is full at 1st round chamber, fails to properly chamber. On last round in the mag, both 10 round and 17 round. Fail to eject. On last round, slide comes forward like it ready to shoot and empty. In 80 rounds it jammed maybe 6-7 times. I have cleaned it and will try again. I have a Smith&Wesson that has never acted like this.
Hello from Ohio- I agree with the others on here.. I bought mine and ran 50 rounds through the first night before i had to leave etc..no issues; came back 2 days later & experienced exactly what you're talking about in my first 50 rounds etc..?? 3 misfeeds/jams, failure on trigger reset etc.. went home, CLEANED the crap out of it and have had no issues since. Clean it & run another 100 rounds through it before sending it to AZ.

· Registered
3,766 Posts
I agree. clean it. Sounds like you are not limp wristing the gun. Make sure you pull the striker out and clean and oil the area. You can find lots of video on Utube. Actually very good info. I have gone over a thousand rounds and now am having occassional problems with wwb from Walmart. See ammo forum for this update. The ftf when refired fired. Two different people were using the gun. so it was ammo related. The SR9c is a very accurate and fine gun. Hope you resolve your problem soon so that you can enjoy this excellent gun.

· Registered
4,811 Posts
Cleaning is a good start but unless there is significant grease on the slides, that isn't the problem. If a round isn't being chambered it is because the slide isn't going back far enought to pick up the next round.

The SR series are well known as recoil soft pistols. They have a very stiff recoil spring. That's why people often mention how hard they are to rack.

If your wrists (and elbows) aren't locked, your arms take up the recoil that is necessary to get the slide back far enough to pick up the next round.

They other semi that you have may have lighter recoil springs, less mass in the slide, etc. so limp wristing may not be as much of a problem. That's why the ammo may work fine in that firearm. I'm glad to lock my wrists and have the low recoil of the SR series anyday vs another pistol that is more tolerant of limp wristing but has a higher recoil.

Clean it, shoot it again and be absolutely sure that you are not absorbing the recoil needed for the firearm to function. If it still doesn't work, then contact Ruger.

· Registered
2,346 Posts
If you have problems of the first round not feeding correctly, you are probably not pulling the slide back as far as it should go. Pull the slide back to the stop and then let it slam forward to pick up the cartridge. The temptation to try to seat it gently will cause problems.

Any new mechanical device may require a break in before functioning dependably. Parts wear in over time if you have a tight assembly, and that is better than a loose assembly in the long run.

· Registered
129 Posts
Jamming

In a previous thread I posted that I was having problem with jamming using Remington ammo. I switched back to Winchester white box and no more problems. Tried Remington again and started jamming again. You might try changing ammo.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cleaning is a good start but unless there is significant grease on the slides, that isn't the problem. If a round isn't being chambered it is because the slide isn't going back far enought to pick up the next round.

The SR series are well known as recoil soft pistols. They have a very stiff recoil spring. That's why people often mention how hard they are to rack.

If your wrists (and elbows) aren't locked, your arms take up the recoil that is necessary to get the slide back far enough to pick up the next round.

They other semi that you have may have lighter recoil springs, less mass in the slide, etc. so limp wristing may not be as much of a problem. That's why the ammo may work fine in that firearm. I'm glad to lock my wrists and have the low recoil of the SR series anyday vs another pistol that is more tolerant of limp wristing but has a higher recoil.

Clean it, shoot it again and be absolutely sure that you are not absorbing the recoil needed for the firearm to function. If it still doesn't work, then contact Ruger.
The Smith I have I bought new back in 1983 or 84. The slide is heavier in the Smith. It is a Model 59 in Nickel. It is a bulkier gun. It also has a lower rate spring in the slide than the Sr9c. Much lower. The Smith is much more inspiring. I want to get this SR9c right. It will be a much better Concealed unit.

However in the house if someone is in, I wont have my elbows locked. My hands will be closer to my chest. Is the lower lbs spring the way to go?

It is cleaned and ready to go again. I will keep you posted. Thanks for all the tips.
Mike

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome to the forum from Iowa. I agree with the others about giving it a good cleaning and shooting it again before sending it back. I didn't do it when I first bought mine and had a couple FTE causing jams. Went home, tore it down, cleaned and oiled it, and now have over 400 rounds with no problems at all. Very fun shooter and my every day CCW.
I hope I have the same luck. Thanks.

· Registered
2,346 Posts
Mike, please let us know if a good cleaning does not cause the pistol to function properly. There is always the chance that something may be wrong with it, but if you look through many recent threads, you will find that over lubing by Ruger is a common problem.

I have seen a number of shotguns over the years which malfunctioned from over lubing, so it is a more common thing than one would imagine. They pack them with grease to prevent rust.

Regarding the concern of limp wristing in a self defence situation, I would be as rigid as a board if ever forced to use a pistol to defend myself. Hope neither of us ever has to find out through experience.

· Registered
759 Posts
If you want to avoid the trip back to Ruger, just send it my way.

I would bet that it is an ammo issue. Clean out the Ruger shipping grease, buy a few boxes of Federal 115 and/or WWB, and after you get it broke in it should eat anything.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.