Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have noticed a few rnds not firing cheap ammo yesterday ,it was winchester forged 115, this has happened a few times once 6 out 27 rnds of Tulamo which my cousin put in his Hi-Power and it fired every rnd looking at his casings the firing pin hits much harder and deeper.
Have cleaned the SR as well as I can but hasn't helped .
Any ideas b-4 I dump this gun. Had two bad experiences with bears and a Glock 17 not firing bought new clips diff, ammo for that gun before dumping it.
Like the SR but as a carry this wont do.
It never has done this with good brass , but seems like a good weapon should cycle about anything .
Is this a simple fix ?
BTW I was just trying to scare the bears off not shoot them, one of them was a hoss! the other was a momma that wasn't much bigger than her two cubs.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well did look at a lot of old threads and was wondering if anyone noticed if the strikes looked deeper after repair or cleaning it.
Have carried about 6 months since purchased seems like a on going problem for the past few years for this weapon.
I just picked up a few casings from yesterday and it actually looks like the strikes are deeper than when it was new go figure?
I have complete faith in Ruger if I send the gun back it will be taken care of although I wonder if they get to the root of the problem or just swap parts that are common to the issue.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Could also get a extra power striker spring from Galloway Precision I installed one in my SR 9 just because I read even that model had issues with lite primer strikes.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Well did look at a lot of old threads and was wondering if anyone noticed if the strikes looked deeper after repair or cleaning it.
Have carried about 6 months since purchased seems like a on going problem for the past few years for this weapon.
I just picked up a few casings from yesterday and it actually looks like the strikes are deeper than when it was new go figure?
I have complete faith in Ruger if I send the gun back it will be taken care of although I wonder if they get to the root of the problem or just swap parts that are common to the issue.
Clean it first and run it dry. I have more than 6000 rounds thru my SR9c with no significant signs of wear

My striker has been removed and cleaned 4 times.

This photo shows the crud that I removed yesterday....it was cleaned just 900 rounds earlier. (I have gone as long as 2000 rounds between cleanings.)

The metal shavings come from the firing pin dragging across the primer as it is getting extracted and ejected.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Could also get a extra power striker spring from Galloway Precision I installed one in my SR 9 just because I read even that model had issues with lite primer strikes.
Adding a stiffer striker spring ultimately makes it harder to rack the slide (because the force needed to rack the slide is the sum of the recoil spring + the striker spring.)

Increasing the rate of the force needed to rack the slide can result in more instances of the slide short cycling due to weak ammo or limp wristing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I haven't noticed any difference in racking the slide after the install of the new striker spring. I haven'e had a single issues after doing this I have shot well over 500 rounds after doing this upgrade.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input I have cleaned the channel, have never seen that much shavings in any gun I have cleaned this one just had some dust size metal.

Would really like know if anyone has noticed if the strikes are deeper after repair or cleaning , would seem that should be a definitive sign one way or the other if I understand whats happening.
After another deep clean compared casings b4 and after could not tell a diff.

Btw thanks for the review link with with instructions much better guide than I was using.Hope to get it worked out, like the gun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have experienced this same problem and im 6 years and thousands of rnds in to my gun. I installed the Galloway kits still problem comes up when i used Remington range anmo and Winchester. I have found CCI blazer ammo to work consistently well and have never had a problem. I think its the ammo. With that said if you don't clean the firing pin channel regularly this malfunction will also happen. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I just purchased another Ruger SR9c yesterday (mainly due to the great fit of the one I've had for several years, and just to have an extra-the price was right). Both of mine are completely stock. What items from Galloway Precision have people on this forum experienced for the SR9c besides the striker spring?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts