Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While purchasing primers and powder yesterday at a LGS, I spied a new SR9C in the case. Has 17 and 10 rd mags. After playing with it awhile, I decided to lay it away as the owner said after that one, he won't be able to get any more for some time. Price was $449. They could be had for less before the current crunch.

I usually do more research before a purchase. I currently have a Beretta M9 and a Nano in 9mm. I just wanted something in between in size.

Will I be a happy owner? I know that question is subjective, but just wanted some input. The trigger didn't feel bad, but was not as smooth as other pistols I have - will probably be better after some break-in time.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
You won't be happy until you get that SR9c out of layaway and get some rounds downrange with it.

Then you'll be really happy. You made a great choice.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Should be fine and your lives together will be grand. Some (like me) however has had issues but fear not, if you do, Ruger will fix it just fine. I'm glad I bought mine even though it was in intesive care for about two weeks.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
The SR9c.... To shoot it is to love it!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
You will definitely be happy with your purchase! I went with the full-size SR9 last year and LOVE it. Want to get an SR9c next (I have handled and shot one and it is great!).

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Great buy. Clean it well including the striker area. Enjoy the range. A lot of initial problems are from not cleaning the weapon. You have a keeper.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You'll be EXTREMELY pleased with it's performance. Mine had to take a trip back to the factory for an ejector problem but they paid for shipping both ways, fixed it, and now i haven't had a single problem with it. (I also commented on a tiny bit of wear on the front of the barrel that shouldnt have been there, they switched it out with a brand new one, no questions asked.)

But it's my main carry piece so that should say something. (I carry a 1911 from time to time as well but i just do that more for kicks. I shoot better and feel more comfortable with the sr9c)

·
Registered
786 Posts
I know I like mine. The trigger will smooth out after a good cleaning (including the striker channel) and a few hundred rounds downrange. I dry fire mine quite a bit and sure that helped it to break in better.

A few things to remember on this type. There is a double recoil spring so the slide is stiffer that what you may see with larger semi-autos. I learned to allways rack overhand and it's much easier that way. You'll get used to it. In fact, that double recoil spring is what dampens the recoil to allmost nothing. Ruger doesn't recommend dry firing without a mag in place. I removed my mag disconnect so it's now a non-issue. The gun has a slide hold lever and not a slide release. You need to pull the slide back to take the pressure off and then press the lever. When loading the first round, let the slide ram home without riding it. Otherwise, a round may hang up on the feed ramp.

Once you start shooting it, everything becomes intuitive with this gun. Only down side is that you're allways looking for more ammo, it's just fun to shoot. :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
I know I like mine. The trigger will smooth out after a good cleaning (including the striker channel) and a few hundred rounds downrange. I dry fire mine quite a bit and sure that helped it to break in better.

A few things to remember on this type. There is a double recoil spring so the slide is stiffer that what you may see with larger semi-autos. I learned to allways rack overhand and it's much easier that way. You'll get used to it. In fact, that double recoil spring is what dampens the recoil to allmost nothing. Ruger doesn't recommend dry firing without a mag in place. I removed my mag disconnect so it's now a non-issue. The gun has a slide hold lever and not a slide release. You need to pull the slide back to take the pressure off and then press the lever. When loading the first round, let the slide ram home without riding it. Otherwise, a round may hang up on the feed ramp.

Once you start shooting it, everything becomes intuitive with this gun. Only down side is that you're allways looking for more ammo, it's just fun to shoot. :D
I feel like the SR9c teaches alot of good habits like pulling the slide back to chamber a round instead of using the lever, overhand racking, etc. It changed the way i use other handguns.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Love my SR9c! I also have the LCR 38 and the LC 9, which are both great for concealed carry, but for confidence in getting the bullet on the target, neither of them can compare with the SR9c. You aren't paying all that much more than mine cost me last July.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have one and love it. IMHO you won't be disappointed.
Agreed. Bought mine a couple of weeks ago for $50 more than you paid. I still feel like I got a bargain. I've put 270 rounds through it flawlessly. It's a nice weapon.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts