Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
finder of holes
186 Posts
Interesting. I'd call Ruger and send it in for repair. Their turn around time right now is 2 weeks.

Welcome to the forum by the way. I'm new here as well and there are tons of great people on here except 303Lithgow. Just ignore him.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have to tell you that I have 800 rounds through my SR9c in less then a month, 600 of which came at high rates of fire. I shoot 200 rounds every time I go to the range. I have three 17 round and two 10 round magazines that I load up and empty as fast as I can without getting kicked off the range for rapid fire. I have gotten my gun very hot. I tell you this, because my gun has none of the ware that your pictures show. I would call Ruger and send the gun back. It should not look like that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This is my primary CCW, granted I could probably borrow the .380 from the old man right now, so two weeks is a long time. Plus, structurally, it's not compromising the chamber so it's more of a cosmetic issue than anything. I've put more rounds through this gun in two weeks that some have in their entire life, so I'm still very happy with the gun overall.
5437, nice to know I'm not crazy in torturing this gun, definitely interested in you not having any excessive wear. What ammo are you using by chance, it could be a factor because the 115 gr Winchester FMJ I'm shooting may not be hot enough or too hot of loads, not 100% sure if they are +P, +P+, or what because I can't get too much info on them.
My carry load is Winchester 115 gr JHP right now, but looking into the Guard Dog HP for carry loads.

·
finder of holes
186 Posts
Well that's good. I'd just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get much worse. If you're concerned about sending it back and being ccwless you could always buy another sr9c this one being in all black so you have both color variations :).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That could get interesting because I also my significant other a black SR9c when I got my stainless one, it was our anniversary gift to each other and me having a black one too could get confusing. I think I will talk with Ruger about it all, and while I'm not opposed to sending it in, I don't want to send it in, have nothing for two weeks (or more), to be told its just cosmetic and no repair will be done. I've heard of a few cases where this has happened.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Interesting. I'd call Ruger and send it in for repair. Their turn around time right now is 2 weeks.

Welcome to the forum by the way. I'm new here as well and there are tons of great people on here except 303Lithgow. Just ignore him.
TeeHeehee ;) I'm telling

·
finder of holes
186 Posts
You could try to find the rare OD Green one. Except I think that was made in the sr9 only...
You are a lucky man to have a lady that likes guns.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Most of the minor peening issues happen early on and then it stops. I'd take a file and very, very lightly get rid of it. It should only take a few passes of the file, remove only the burr.

When there is much build up of material in a place where it isn't intended to be, that new materal will impact other areas.

I lightly filed the peened area on my SR9c around 400 rounds and have run more than 1700 more rounds with no additional peening.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
Phone call might just sort it all out.

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
I had some peening on the barrel of my SR9c but it was VERY minor compared to yours. All mine took was a few strokes with a jewelers file and it has been fine ever since. I would be concerned about the pit in yours though. Definitely send it back to Ruger. Their CS is the best.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I would be sending that back and not accept a "thats normal" response. Looks like a chunk missing out of it where it contacts the slide. Peening a the lugs could result in accuracy issues.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I would be sending that back and not accept a "thats normal" response. Looks like a chunk missing out of it where it contacts the slide. Peening a the lugs could result in accuracy issues.
What chunk missing?

He said material is being removed by the peened burr. Remove the burr and no more material will be removed. The sooner that is done, less material material getts removed....

·
Registered
357 Posts
This is my primary CCW, granted I could probably borrow the .380 from the old man right now, so two weeks is a long time. Plus, structurally, it's not compromising the chamber so it's more of a cosmetic issue than anything. I've put more rounds through this gun in two weeks that some have in their entire life, so I'm still very happy with the gun overall.
5437, nice to know I'm not crazy in torturing this gun, definitely interested in you not having any excessive wear. What ammo are you using by chance, it could be a factor because the 115 gr Winchester FMJ I'm shooting may not be hot enough or too hot of loads, not 100% sure if they are +P, +P+, or what because I can't get too much info on them.
My carry load is Winchester 115 gr JHP right now, but looking into the Guard Dog HP for carry loads.
I've only used American Eagle (Federal) 115 grain full metal jacket. It is the cheapest I can find local at around $12 a box.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. I had very minor peening on my 9c when I cleaned it after the first 200 rounds. I smoothed it down with a fine jewelers file and now have over 1500 rounds and it never got any worse. The pics you took look far worse than what I had. If you file it down now it shouldn't get any worse. But it looks bad. I think I would contact Ruger to see what they say. If they are willing to replace the slide and barrel you have nothing to lose. Plus they really need feedback from folks like you to encourage them to look at the design of this gun to avoid this issue in the future. I have not heard of any other makes or models that have this same issue.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
That barel is stainless steel, not aircraft aluminum.

I would clean up the raised metal and shoot it some more. It would not hurt to talk to Ruger and send them pictures.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Stainless? I would expect to have seen some discoloration in the metal from the heat, but I'm not seeing that. I'm surprised it would be stainless because of the weight and how easily you can polish everything with wet/dry sandpaper. My experience is that stainless is generally harder and would take more effort, but I'm also not a metallurgist so I most definitely could be mistaken.
With that, then maybe my conclusion about the cause is wrong, which needs more careful consideration.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts