Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I have a new to me low round count SR9C that I shot for the first time this past weekend with some reloads I worked up and ended up with cratered primers depicted below. All of the rounds ran perfect, but I ended up with this flow back into the striker hole. I am very familiar with cratering but have never seen anything like this, so here I am.

First: 124gr Xtreme PRN
CCI 500 primer
4.8 - 5.2 Unique
OAL 1.135
Mixed brass taper crimped at .376 - .378.

If the primers were flatter I would think pressure, but since the primers look good and this was on all the loads, I figure it's gotta be something else. I know that the striker and hole were clean and lightly lubed, so that is working properly. I did call Ruger and was told to look and be sure that the striker hole was chamfered, which I did while he was on the phone and it is. His next guess was to switch primers.

I have read on other forums that this seems to be an issue, but most of the time the solution was a new striker. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
It looks to me more like flow back into the firing pin hole in the breech face. Nothing to worry about. Putting in a larger diameter striker would reduce it, but it has no significance, as long as it isn't enough to cause faulty ejection.

Jim

·
Registered
38 Posts
Kinda new to reloading here. So I checked Hornady #9 and they list 124 gr any bullet at 5.0 maximum with unique. Not sure that you aren't overloading a little

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Hi All. I have a new to me low round count SR9C that I shot for the first time this past weekend with some reloads I worked up and ended up with cratered primers depicted below. All of the rounds ran perfect, but I ended up with this flow back into the striker hole. I am very familiar with cratering but have never seen anything like this, so here I am.

First: 124gr Xtreme PRN
CCI 500 primer
4.8 - 5.2 Unique
OAL 1.135
Mixed brass taper crimped at .376 - .378.

If the primers were flatter I would think pressure, but since the primers look good and this was on all the loads, I figure it's gotta be something else. I know that the striker and hole were clean and lightly lubed, so that is working properly. I did call Ruger and was told to look and be sure that the striker hole was chamfered, which I did while he was on the phone and it is. His next guess was to switch primers.

I have read on other forums that this seems to be an issue, but most of the time the solution was a new striker. Thoughts?

Welcome arrowshooter,
This question may get more answers if posted in the reloading forum.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Compare those primers to those shot from factory loads... you could be high in pressure. And 9mm is rather unforgiving with bullets that get pushed back during feeding, you might want to check that too

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kinda new to reloading here. So I checked Hornady #9 and they list 124 gr any bullet at 5.0 maximum with unique. Not sure that you aren't overloading a little
HI, Speer has it at 5.2 - 5.8 for the TMJ (total metal jacket). Internet loads range from 4.5 - 6.0. Pretty sure I am good.

Thanks moakes58, I'll put it over there too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Have a vintage 1989 Hornady lists 124 fmj max at 5.1 Unique, 1.040 col, 1100fps. Yours might have gone over the edge a tad.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Compare those primers to those shot from factory loads... you could be high in pressure. And 9mm is rather unforgiving with bullets that get pushed back during feeding, you might want to check that too
Roger that. I'll pickup some factory and bring the calipers next time out.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
That would be my thought as well. The primers' edges are still rounded and the gun functioned properly so I don't think pressure is an issue. I am a bit surprised at Ruger's response though .

Please keep us informed about this.

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will do Mister Lewis. Next time out I'll run some 4.6 and 4.7 with the same setup and see what happens. If I have the same issue, I'll run another ladder up to 5.2 with .001 or so off the crimp to see if the round was getting to far into the chamber. Have to watch for bullet setback too.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,703 Posts
arrowshooter, Your load is at the bottom of the chart so it is not a pressure problem. The shape of the spent primer indicates it flowed into the breach face. My guess ... you have a defective slide .... bad breach face. To confirm, try a few factory loads. If the primers flow on those loads, you got a sick slide. Even though the gun is functioning OK, it's a good idea to get it fixed because in its current condition, a blown primer is likely and could be dangerous.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
arrowshooter, Your load is at the bottom of the chart so it is not a pressure problem. The shape of the spent primer indicates it flowed into the breach face. My guess ... you have a defective slide .... bad breach face. To confirm, try a few factory loads. If the primers flow on those loads, you got a sick slide. Even though the gun is functioning OK, it's a good idea to get it fixed because in its current condition, a blown primer is likely and could be dangerous.
Exactly why I love these forums. I'll save the reloads and take just the factory out next time. Thank you Iowegan!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,703 Posts
rplewis145, You need a spell checker!!

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I just looked at this post again & I did not think the Ruger's SR9c was a "CA Compliant" pistol. Am I wrong here?

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Will do Mister Lewis. Next time out I'll run some 4.6 and 4.7 with the same setup and see what happens. If I have the same issue, I'll run another ladder up to 5.2 with .001 or so off the crimp to see if the round was getting to far into the chamber. Have to watch for bullet setback too.
I use 5.4 grains Unique with a Berry's 124 gr. RN plated bullet in Winchester brass with CCI SP primers & I seat it at 1.160" per Berry's suggestion & it functioned well and was accurate, but I have better results with CFE Pistol.

My Alliant manual has the max load of Unique at 5.8 grains.

I keep Unique as an emergency powder & tested data for everything I reload. I did the same with Universal also, and have 3/4 of a pound, but it was a ghost in my area for 2 years. They are both very versatile powders, with Unique getting the nod, but Universal meters better.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts