Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new SR9c :) which I haven't fired yet. I've noticed that after dry-firing, I can't turn the thumb safety on (white dot) without first racking the slide. Is this normal?

On my SR-22, the thumb safety can be cycled up and down regardless of whether the slide had been racked or not.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I just bought a new SR9c :) which I haven't fired yet. I've noticed that after dry-firing, I can't turn the thumb safety on (white dot) without first racking the slide.
I hope you're not dry firing your SR9C without the magazine inserted unless you've modified it. :)

I've never noticed whether the safety worked the way you describe or not. My SR9C isn't available for inspection right at this moment.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I just bought a new SR9c :) which I haven't fired yet. I've noticed that after dry-firing, I can't turn the thumb safety on (white dot) without first racking the slide. Is this normal?

On my SR-22, the thumb safety can be cycled up and down regardless of whether the slide had been racked or not.
It's normal.

Two different animals.

One is a striker fired pistol the other is a SA/DA hammer model. They are worlds apart in how they operate.

I have both.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like it's nothing to worry about which is good news.

Also just curious since you own both guns, on perceived recoil comparing the SR-22 to the SR9c...on a scale of 1-10, if the 22 is a '1', where would you rate the '9'?

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like it's nothing to worry about which is good news.

Also just curious since you own both guns, on perceived recoil comparing the SR-22 to the SR9c...on a scale of 1-10, if the 22 is a '1', where would you rate the '9'?
It's significantly more.

Most of the ammo I fire in the SR9c has about 300 ft lbs of energy while the SR22 is pushing maybe 100 ft lbs. One weighs under 20 oz while the other is over 30oz (with ammo.)

I absolutely don't find the recoil objectionable (try firing an LCP, that is definitey not fun, but still doable)

You really do need to keep a firm grip on the SR9c, though, cuz it can get outta hand. I've let a few newbies fire it and they almost dropped it. I never let them fire the SR22 first. They then tend to really underestimate the recoil of the 9 mm. Also if you don't keep a locked wrist, it will short cycle and fail to eject.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an LCP. It was the first Ruger I purchased. I have no interest in carrying a gun, but I thought the LCP was well made and a nice design and I just wanted to have it. I still do.

I took it down to the range a couple of times and ended up hating it. After a dozen rounds, it was no longer fun shooting it anymore. It was a combination of my old hands and the narrow grip. I bought a Hogue grip for it which broadened things a bit, but did not give much of an improvement.

As I've read elsewhere, there seems to be a bunch of opinions out there that the LCP is not a range gun.

I'm certain I'll enjoy the SR9c.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm certain I'll enjoy the SR9c.
I'm sure you will too. The SR9C is the sweetest shooting 9mm I've ever owned or shot ... and that happens to be quite a few. The LC9, which I also own and shoot, is a different animal for a different purpose and it does a great job for what it was intended. The LC9 is not a gun that mout of sight easily and packs a lot of punch in a small package.

The SR22 and the SR9C are my "fun guns". My SR9C is also my primary CCW. When I need a more concealable gun for CC I turn with confidence to my LC9 first, and then to my LCP.

Great guns, all!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm sure you will too. The SR9C is the sweetest shooting 9mm I've ever owned or shot ... and that happens to be quite a few. The LC9, which I also own and shoot, is a different animal for a different purpose and it does a great job for what it was intended. The LC9 is not a gun that mout of sight easily and packs a lot of punch in a small package.

The SR22 and the SR9C are my "fun guns". My SR9C is also my primary CCW. When I need a more concealable gun for CC I turn with confidence to my LC9 first, and then to my LCP.

Great guns, all!!
I've yet to get the LC9, my primary is the SR9c. We also bought the SR22 for range time and love it. While the guns operate fundamentally different, the equipment placement is almost identical. Other than weight, very similar guns.
Myself, I noticed little recoil with the SR9c, but then I rarely notice recoil. (LC9 didn't bother me either). TheSR9 is a very good fit for me with the backstrap flipped out (bigger) I can intuitively put this thing on target without sighting it. The Sr22 is a little small in my hands due to it's being thinner.
All in all I love the two I have, but have now opted out of the LC9 for summer carry, finding better alternatives.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts