Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals, I've a quick question. One of my acquaintances that i go to the range with constantly talks about/warns other people about how my SR9C has what he refers to as a "hair trigger"(he shoots an M&P 9). Now, the only modification I've made to the firearm is a Galloway stainless steel striker indicator, but to my knowledge that shouldn't drop the weight from the factory weight to 2.5 - 3 lbs as he claims it is, and I've tested my theory using a highly scientific method involving a empty bottle increasingly filled with water until it depressed the trigger. I'm just looking for some verification on the striker indicator not making much of a difference though, thanks.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
From what I understand & read on Galloways site is that putting the stainless steel striker adds weight to the trigger. It mentions that they sell a trigger bar/& disconnector to bring the trigger pull back to stock when replacing with their stainless steel striker. The only thing I've done to my SR9c is replace the stock plastic recoil assembly with one of Galloways steel recoil rod assemblies with 18lb spring. I personally like the stock trigger on my SR9c which is why I opted to not replace the striker. I also have a S&W Shield 40 & can attest to the Ruger having a way better trigger! I'm fairly accurate with both pistols but the SR9c is by far easier to shoot & more accurate of the two.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Hey guys and gals, I've a quick question. One of my acquaintances that i go to the range with constantly talks about/warns other people about how my SR9C has what he refers to as a "hair trigger"(he shoots an M&P 9). Now, the only modification I've made to the firearm is a Galloway stainless steel striker indicator, but to my knowledge that shouldn't drop the weight from the factory weight to 2.5 - 3 lbs as he claims it is, and I've tested my theory using a highly scientific method involving a empty bottle increasingly filled with water until it depressed the trigger. I'm just looking for some verification on the striker indicator not making much of a difference though, thanks.
Your acquantance is incorrect. He's probably jealous of the Ruger's better trigger.

There is a real reason a lot of M&P owners are Apex trigger customers.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I have a SR9c and an M&P 45. My SR9c has the stainless steel striker indicator and guide rod assembly installed (and I do not feel it made any difference in trigger pull weight) and the M&P is stock.

The SR9c is far from a hair trigger, but it is so much better than the M&P trigger.

The SR9c trigger is a tad lighter, breaks cleaner, and resets quicker than the M&P with the 2 piece trigger. The M&P trigger has more take up, is "mushy" feeling, and reset is longer. I think they did this because the M&P is technically a safety-less pistol and this combats ND's. I do not know this for fact but it does make sense. I will be upgrading my M&P with Apex components at some point in the future to be sure.

So if I was to shoot M&P's all of the time and then picked up a SR9c, I could see where he would think it had a hair trigger, but really it doesn't, it is just all around better.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
The SR9c trigger is a good one but, it is hardly what I would classify as a "hair trigger". My 9c is totally stock and measures just over 4.5lbs. on my scale You can get a simple trigger gauge for a few bucks to measure your trigger . Mndoggie is right about the M&P triggers which are not as good as your 9c without modification.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
As already mentioned, I suspect the contrast in trigger pulls is the reason your friends think your 9c has a "hair trigger". To experience this first-hand, shoot 10-20 rounds from a DAO, then immediately switch to your 9c - just watch out on that first shot. You will swear it went off prematurely.

·
Registered
459 Posts
so why when you are dry firing the sr9c does the trigger stick back... my other guns don't do that?
BTW, I understand that you can also order these things online and have them shipped to Maine.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Boss, If your trigger is "sticking" in the rear position, you need to strip your gun and clean it thouroughly and lubricate it. The likely cause is that there is some "gunk" causing the problem. There is a Ruger video showing how to do this.
If there are no laws prohibiting the purchase of a Ruger SR9c, you can order it on line and have it shipped to a licensed dealer who will legally transfer the weapon to you. If you purchase from an on line retailer such as Bud's, Kentucky Gun, Tombstone, etc., they will guide you through the process.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Trigger pull is subjective. Everyone perceives the weights differently. Kind of neat to live in a world where that's okay.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
so why when you are dry firing the sr9c does the trigger stick back... my other guns don't do that?
BTW, I understand that you can also order these things online and have them shipped to Maine.
That is normal for an SR centerfire series during dryfiring. The trigger resets when the slide operates.

During actual operation, the recoil runs the slide so it is done for you. When you dryfire, you need to move the slide back about 1/2 inch to do the resetting.

·
Registered
61 Posts
A guy at the range the other day let me try his NIB M&P 40 cal. I swear it had about a 15 pound trigger pull. I would never purchase a pistol with such an atrocious trigger. I let him try my Ruger 9E and asked if it was a custom trigger. I still say dollar for dollar those 9Es are tough to beat. Love that piece.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I own an M&P as well as five SR series Rugers. the M&P trigger is in my opinion too light for EDC. the Rugers are slightly heavier and crisp. they also improve with use.
light, for me, is just for target shooting, never for a potential high stress situation. if I need to shoot, I do not want it to be governed by a sneeze, fart, or twitch!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Perhaps because you have dry-fired it one too many times without a magazine properly inserted. :confused:

DRY FIRING
Going through the actions of cocking, aiming and pulling the trigger on an
unloaded gun is known as “dry firing.” It can be useful to learn the “feel” of your
pistol. Be certain that the pistol is fully unloaded (both the chamber and
magazine are empty) and that the pistol is pointing in a safe direction even when
you are practicing dry firing. The RUGER® SR-SERIES pistols can be dryfired
without damage to the striker or other components as long as an empty
magazine is inserted.
CAUTION: Dry firing your RUGER® SR-SERIES with the magazine
removed may result in damage or unnecessary wear to the magazine disconnect
mechanism and/or striker.
NOTE: When dry firing the SR-SERIES pistols, the trigger will not
automatically move forward to reset. The slide must be retracted at least 1/2” to
reset the trigger and firing mechanism.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Perhaps because you have dry-fired it one too many times without a magazine properly inserted. :confused:

DRY FIRING
Going through the actions of cocking, aiming and pulling the trigger on an
unloaded gun is known as “dry firing.” It can be useful to learn the “feel” of your
pistol. Be certain that the pistol is fully unloaded (both the chamber and
magazine are empty) and that the pistol is pointing in a safe direction even when
you are practicing dry firing. The RUGER® SR-SERIES pistols can be dryfired
without damage to the striker or other components as long as an empty
magazine is inserted.
CAUTION: Dry firing your RUGER® SR-SERIES with the magazine
removed may result in damage or unnecessary wear to the magazine disconnect
mechanism and/or striker.
NOTE: When dry firing the SR-SERIES pistols, the trigger will not
automatically move forward to reset. The slide must be retracted at least 1/2” to
reset the trigger and firing mechanism.
Thanks for the Note to answer the stuck trigger, just noticed that yesterday dry firing at Gander Mountain... The "BTW" is just a smart aleck reference to post #2. Not trying to start it over. bh

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
Out of the box, the 9c has one of the best triggers out there. That's why it always amazes me when someone posts about buying their new sr9c and right away starts asking about mods:confused:

Or you can buy a gun anywheres and have it shipped to Main.:confused:;)

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Boss, I hope that you are not dry firing your 9c without a magazine installed. The manual states that this should not be done else you could damage your gun.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts