Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 199 Posts

· Registered
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DOJ announced today that it is effective when published in the Federal Register next week. With less than a 16 inch barrel, pistols with an "arm brace" will now be considered short barreled rifles and subject to that tax.

Per story by Reuters, "The new rule gives owners, manufacturers and distributors 120 days to report their stabilizing braces to the ATF tax-free. They may also remove the stabilizing brace or turn in any pistol modified by a stabilizing brace to the ATF."

· Registered
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it says "120 days to report their stabilizing braces to the ATF tax-free." So I'd guess as short barrel rifles, they will be NFA items.

More : "For decades, short-barreled rifles have been subject to strict regulations, including a law known as the National Rifle Act, which requires additional taxation and background checks for private transfers, among other provisions.
The new rule clarifies that pistols modified by a stabilizing brace are subject to those additional requirements, department officials said."

• Angry
Reactions: Patriot12992

· Registered
200 Posts
DOJ announced today that it is effective when published in the Federal Register next week. With less than a 16 inch barrel, pistols with an "arm brace" will now be considered short barreled rifles and subject to that tax.

Per story by Reuters, "The new rule gives owners, manufacturers and distributors 120 days to report their stabilizing braces to the ATF tax-free. They may also remove the stabilizing brace or turn in any pistol modified by a stabilizing brace to the ATF."
Was kind of expecting this, do you have a link to the story?, specifically, I'm wondering exactly what needs to be done now to not pay the $200 when submitting a Form 1.

· Registered
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

· Super Moderator
7,024 Posts
Not a lot out at this point, but the long and short of it is that handguns with braces are now being considered an SBR. Now there is 120 days to register your Handgun as an SBR tax-free.
Once again, an example of ATF overreach. There is already a lawsuit against this rule. In fact, it has been out there for a couple months, but the lawsuit was put on hold due to the rule not being finalized. Now that the exact verbiage has been released and registered, the lawsuit can now proceed.

· Registered
6,351 Posts
I am concerned. There is a show down coming. At the same time we have Constitutional Carry in an increasing number of states, we are seeing draconian state level infringements to their own citizens 2A rights. This is setting up to be a states rights versus federal government issue.

I’m not sure what I would do if I had one.

· Registered
210 Posts
I am concerned. There is a show down coming. At the same time we have Constitutional Carry in an increasing number of states, we are seeing draconian state level infringements to their own citizens 2A rights. This is setting up to be a states rights versus federal government issue.

I’m not sure what I would do if I had one.
I’m in NY it’s becoming a state vs state issue as well, same in Oregon. I’m downstate and the loonies around here run the show. But upstate doesn’t want any part of this nonsense. Same situation in Oregon except it’s east west. Iowa is having the same showdown as well. We’ll see if we can stand up to the population centers.

· Registered
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I very briefly considered the pistol version of my 15-22. Thought the brace was (IMHO) a goofy get-around. How many people actually use it as designed? Half the barrel and handguard, no sights included, for a higher price. Possible law or not, my carbine size was a lot better gun and better buy.

· Registered
200 Posts
I'm curious if you registered your brace, when you get your stamp or whatever paperwork at sends can you the put a rifle stock on it since you have a legal sbr?
As with most firearm legislation, I have a feeling that this is one of those vague areas that is going to have to go to court.

On one side you have the people who will point out the entire reason for all this is braces are being used as stocks, effectively making them SBR's, and you have just forced me to go through the process of registration as I would have for an SBR, so braced pistols are SBR's and now fall under all the established rules for them.

Then you have another group, which lives in a state/area where braced pistols are legal but SBR's are not, who will be very much against having them declared SBR's, and want a braced pistol classification for NFA items.

I live in IL, where I am assuming that most braced pistol owners will be in the second group. Besides the recent changes for what we have to register and can own, there is a ban on SBR's, except for a strange loophole for holders of Type 03 FFL's. I have my FFL and already have SBR's, but there are many people I know who do not, so the ability to register their braced pistol is kind of useless if doing so makes it an SBR.

· Registered
6,351 Posts
I'm curious if you registered your brace, when you get your stamp or whatever paperwork at sends can you the put a rifle stock on it since you have a legal sbr?
That’s a good question. I think the ATF would expect that though.

I believe there are a bunch of owners of these braces that don’t want to be on the NFA list, even for free, and are going to take exception to this rule.

1 - 20 of 199 Posts