Ruger Forum banner
161 - 180 of 199 Posts

· Registered
1,784 Posts
A smooth buffer tube without rail is required for an AR to be a pistol.
Putting a foam pad over a buffer tube is a violation, need a stamp.
Most sources are saying a PC Charger with 1913 rail on the butt doesn't qualify for the free stamp
3 million on-line submissions already.
I'm waiting at least 30 days for clarification.

· Registered
172 Posts
A smooth buffer tube without rail is required for an AR to be a pistol.
Putting a foam pad over a buffer tube is a violation, need a stamp.
Most sources are saying a PC Charger with 1913 rail on the butt doesn't qualify for the free stamp
3 million on-line submissions already.
I'm waiting at least 30 days for clarification.
Compliance will get you killed.

· Registered
172 Posts
I am not advocating lawless behavior here, but holy smokes, short barrels at Brownells, Ballistic Advantage, Midway, Aero, pistol uppers, etc are on huge sales this weekend. Stuff that was 240 last week is 120 this week!
Didn't dealers have only 60 days to comply with the new rules? Looks like they're having a fire sale.

· Banned
977 Posts
I am not advocating lawless behavior here, but holy smokes, short barrels at Brownells, Ballistic Advantage, Midway, Aero, pistol uppers, etc are on huge sales this weekend. Stuff that was 240 last week is 120 this week!
Do you have any links? I have a few lowers that could use a cheap upper.

I didn't see anything in the $100-200 range at brownells or PSA on a quick search.

· Registered
Ruger: Model 19122 pc 9
4,694 Posts

· Registered
160 Posts
My understanding is the ATF has guidelines on how an individual can mark the brace to tie it to your NFA registration.

This begs the question, does this prevent you from switching it out for a stock, after it is an SBR.

Disclaimer - I don’t own one and read the regs pretty quickly.
The way I read it is that the brace itself is what makes it a SBR so, if I am correct, switching it to a stock would make it a whole different SBR and you'd have to start the process to register that.

· Registered
263 Posts

· Registered
1,784 Posts
The ATF's FAQ answers a few questions (attached).
TLDR:
  • You can swap the brace to a stock after submitting registration.
  • No special markings are required unless it's an unmarked 80% lower.

Item 10 clarifies that you can change the brace to a regular stock.
10. ONCE THE FIREARM IS REGISTERED AS A SHORT-BARRELED RIFLE (SBR) CAN I REMOVE/CHANGE THE “STABILIZING BRACE” OR ATTACH AN ITEM MARKETED AS A STOCK? IF SO, AM I REQUIRED TO NOTIFY ATF IN ADVANCE?
• Yes, the firearm is registered as an SBR, and you can change out the “brace” device or stock for a different brace or stock. You do not need to contact ATF/NFA because changing the brace/stock does not change the configuration of the SBR. However, if the length of the firearm has changed you will need to notify the NFA Division.

Item 27 clarifies special markings. If your pistol has manufacturing info then no special markings are required.
27. ONCE THE FIREARM IS REGISTERED, AM I REQUIRED TO MARK THE FIREARM SINCE I MANUFACTURED A SHORT-BARRELED RIFLE (SBR)?
• If the SBR equipped with a “stabilizing brace” is registered within the 120-day tax forbearance
period, the possessor is allowed to adopt the markings on the firearm. The maker’s marking
exception is only applicable to firearms that are registered pursuant to the final rule.

Attachments

161 - 180 of 199 Posts