Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to you all ,
Is it just me or is there anyone else out there that thinks a stainless 41 magnum blackhawk ( not hunter model ) , preferably a flattop version , would make a perfect mountain toting sing action ? Thoughts ?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I would have to have one of those babies!!!!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Hi to you all ,
Is it just me or is there anyone else out there that thinks a stainless 41 magnum blackhawk ( not hunter model ) , preferably a flattop version , would make a perfect mountain toting sing action ? Thoughts ?
I have that but in a blued gun, 6 1/2". Lacking advanced single action skills, and having smallish hands, I would rather have a double action for an easier draw and fire while a bear is on top of me. That is if I thought 41 Mag was the right caliber for what I would likely be shooting. I would be lost in that debate about how small a caliber makes a qualified wilderness gun and what I should really expect to encounter. My Diamond D rig for wearing outside a coat fits my SW657 in 41. The longer barrel Blackhawk is carried cross draw (in theory). I don't actually have occasion to walk around wearing a big gun openly, but you can't if you don't own the holster.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At liberty ,
I understand your thinking on this and have contemplated the same scenario with our bears around here . My thought process usually goes like this , " if a bear is in my face , ( quite literally perhaps ) , I'd probably be better off with my gp-100 . But I want more than a 357 magnum ,maybe my smith & wesson 625 mountain gun in 45 colt ( with my El Paso saddlery tanker holster ) , but I love my single actions , so maybe "... and then I try to decide between my stainless or blued 44 special flattops depending on weather . These are in a crossroads holster as well .
Our national forest starts 5 miles from my house and I spend a lot of time in it . 2 years ago I came right up on a HUGE cinnamon colored boar that was eating on a gut pile , maybe 15-20 yards away , got my attention right away �� !
Any of the above guns would've been fine , I was carrying a blackhawk in 45 colt at the time , been thinking about getting a 4"Redhawk ever since .
It never ends , haha .

·
Registered
517 Posts
I like my 5 1/2" stainless Blackhawk, super accurate with a 215gr. hardcast and a healthy dose of AA#9.It's not a flattop but a Bisley model. You could look for one of those. I got mine off Gunbroker. I do like the idea of a flattop.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have occasionally seen those bisley model Blackhawks in 41 mag , also on gunbroker . I would love to have one . I seem impossibly drawn to all dealer exclusive models . Seems like if it's an exclusive then I want the darn thing .
I know there are the hunter model Blackhawks as well but they are heavier with a 71/2" barrel .
After having 3 flattops ( a first year 357 magnum and both the stainless and blue 44 specials ) , I've come to love the smaller frame size with the 4 5/8" barrel and am convinced this would be awesome chambered in 41 magnum . Maybe it will be offered someday ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would definitely be in line for a stainless 41 Magnum Blackhawk. A 4 5/8 inch barrel would be my personal choice. Lipsey's, are you listening?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yep and it'd look a lot like this....my .44 Spl Flat Top! Sign me up....Rod

·
Registered
737 Posts
They're Rosewood, Surveyor and home made. Pretty easy project if you've got the wood and access to a drill press, and sanding drums...Rod

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.