Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Stainless Bisley project Blackhawk 45 colt.....Buy or Pass ?

My friend Jim is a seller at a Gunshow here in NM this morning.

He just sent me pics of a Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk 44 mag (Not 45 Colt as stated in Post) that is missing the front sight that some Bubba tried to change out and did some other changes to.....its pretty beat up but the price is right $300 asking......Could get it for $250-$275

I would have no problem with the barrel and truing it up , crown , etc.... and cleaning up the stainless is no problem, but the brazing/soldering a new sight has me concerned.

It looks like a drill press port job was attempted and buggard up badly...so the end of the barrel would have to be cut back about 3/4 to 1" and a new sight installed. If it were Blue I would get it.....but its stainless ?

Don't know if I should try it or not.....I wouldn't attempt to drill and tap as there isn't a lot of steel there.
Anyone have any advice on brazing/soldering stainless ???
My mind is in overdrive as far as solutions with the sights....or the fact its base is completely GONE......I have to decide rather quickly.

One additional thought is to drill a couple small holes in a suitable sight base and just tack Mig it in place so nothing ugly is showing...... decisions , decisions.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
For the love of Guns, don't MIG it!

Silver soldering a front sight on a stainless SBH isn't difficult. Rent or buy the jig and it's super easy.

For $250, if I wanted a shorter barreled SBH, I'd buy it, but I've done several barrel bob and resight jobs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
For the love of Guns, don't MIG it!
Its Now MINE ! Jim offered him $200 and he took it !

I called a local gunsmith and he said if I bring it in with a Ruger front sight base he would do it for $55 as he has done quite a few in the past.

I will do all the the barrel work and cut/square/crown to about 6.5" ...... Gunsmith can finish the sight.......$255 for a new to me Revolver of any kind is just to good to pass up ! And since I don't have a 44 mag.......will have to find some dies , brass , bullets.

My other alternative is to take a tapered Octagonal barrel that was for a 44 mag rifle and cut and repurpose it for the Blackhawk.....that's a thought too as I haven't seen any Super Blackhawks with a DT front sight, a brass Post , and a 8" octagon barrel.......EVER ! Hopefully the ejector rod housing will cooperate to make it possible.

I will be sure and post a few pics when he comes back on Monday.

PS.....he had to throw in 6 boxes of CCI mini mag 22 LR ammo also......lol.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
That would be a interesting looking piece with an octagon barrel. Old school looks with new school function. Cant wait to see whatcha decide and the end result.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts