Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is anyone manufacturing a stainless guide rod for the EC9s?

Is there a replacement available for another model that will fit and function with the EC9s?

IAT

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nothing close or even in the horizon. I have contacted a couple of manufacturers and they do not show an interest in considering its manufacturing.

It might all date back to the attempt by Galloway Precision ( Discontinued Captured Sure Feed Guide Rod Assembly for Ruger LC9s EC9s Pistols ). Galloway explained it away as a "lack of interest". Some explain it as a mechanically unsuccessful effort.

On the bright side, the sporadic pre-2018 manufactured failures of part number 32 on the LC9s seem to have disappeared.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,744 Posts
A member here last year gave me a Galloway LC9s steel guide rod assembly. I put in my EC9s that failed after 3k rounds. The Galloway Precision Guide Rod Assembly was a Gods send. I put it in the EC9s and tested it at the range and it worked as good as the Ruger guide rod. The EC9s seemed to feel tighter and I have had NO feed issues with the Galloway. I still train with this EC9s and rely on it for a BUG when securing our property. Lucky for me that is the only issue I have had with any of our LC9s or EC9s series of firearms. I have not had any issues with guide rod since putting it in. Not lately have I seen any in stock and no reports of anyone offering to start making them again. Maybe some others may have more data than I so good luck.

Reactions: jehzsa

·
Registered
64 Posts
I believe Galloway Precision dropped the captured recoil assembly and now sells only stainless steel guide rods for it. It might be listed as a LC380 rod. They all use the same rod. eBay has a few sellers of them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The golf-tee rod for the LC9s and the EC9s seems to have a steel insert covered by some sort of polymer. My EC9s was presumably manufactured in 2018. That gives a bit of reassurance that it will not be mangled like the pre-2018s LC9s, as some other captured systems with merely polymer rods. Like with my Walther PPS M2, for which I had it replaced almost immediately with a stainless one from Lakeline.

As to the Galloway, I keep looking in ebay for someone that did not have the striker spring installed and decided all too quickly that it was not for him/her. And is selling the set.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
mine has about 3000 rounds through it . It is perfect for me for edc for me. Light , easy to carry and conceal. great trigger. I keep it clean. never a failure either with my range reloads or my carry ammo. It was also very inexpensive. I did consider the galloway when they were available but turns out I really didn't need it. accurate enough for body mass shots out to 10 yards . head shots to 7.5 yards. all I need for summer carry. good luck .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. That's quite reassuring inasmuch as I haven't read of one instance where an EC9s RSA has been mangled beyond recognition. Confirms Galloway's announcement of lack of interest in its system.

But I'd still buy one of them.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
The golf-tee rod for the LC9s and the EC9s seems to have a steel insert covered by some sort of polymer. My EC9s was presumably manufactured in 2018. That gives a bit of reassurance that it will not be mangled like the pre-2018s LC9s, as some other captured systems with merely polymer rods. Like with my Walther PPS M2, for which I had it replaced almost immediately with a stainless one from Lakeline.

As to the Galloway, I keep looking in ebay for someone that did not have the striker spring installed and decided all too quickly that it was not for him/her. And is selling the set.

Thanks
I have a pre 2018 LC9s with just under 2400 rounds fired thru it. (Bought in Feb of 2015 SN 327-796XX)

Never had any issues with it. Still has the original recoil spring guide rod which is not polymer.

I've heard that some believe that the LC9 series had polymer guide rods but I've never actually saw real proof that they really exist. Some people mistake the sleeve inside the spring to be an actual structural part of the guide rod. It merely keeps the two springs from scraping on each other.

The problem with the early LC9s guide rods seemed to be the flattened head on the end would break cuz it hadn't been done right, not the material used.

Some claim that the polymer recoil rod on the SR22 pistol needs to be replaced, too. I still have the original polymer guide rod for my SR22 (very early production run,,,actually says SR 22 PISTOL on the slide) next range trip will with my SR22 will surpass the 11,000 round mark. I have changed the spring once.

People also claimed that the LCP pistols had polymer guide rods. They never did, they were always steel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
"Come on, man!" 😁

The reports of rods flying out of the LC9s appeared in social media around 2017/2018 (?). Then Ruger instituted an exchange program (they didn't refer it as a recall) where people would call them and request the new golf-tee rod (RSA). I wouldn't be able to talk about it, only make the references, because I've never owned or even handled a LC9s. But after the switch was made, the reports of rods shooting out ceased entirely in social media.

What I have is an EC9s, which has the golf-tee rod with what seems like a steel insert encased in some sort of polymer.

Thanks for your insight.

EDIT: Just to clear an apparent confusion, the LC9 and the LC9s use a different rod. Stainless Steel Guide Rod for Ruger® LC9® and LC380® Pistols
The rod (RSA) for the LC9s and the EC9s is the same (part number 32).

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Some claim that the polymer recoil rod on the SR22 pistol needs to be replaced, too. I still have the original polymer guide rod for my SR22 (very early production run,,,actually says SR 22 PISTOL on the slide) next range trip will with my SR22 will surpass the 11,000 round mark. I have changed the spring once.
I used to be tempted to buy a steel one for my SR22 but I know it doesn’t need it, so I got over that compulsion. Sometimes it’s hard to leave something alone. The nose of the stock one used to catch on the edge of the hole it protrudes from in the slide upon reassembly, but I rounded it with some fine grit sandpaper and now it reassembles easily.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
"Come on, man!" 😁

The reports of rods flying out of the LC9s appeared in social media around 2017/2018 (?). Then Ruger instituted an exchange program (they didn't refer it as a recall) where people would call them and request the new golf-tee rod (RSA). I wouldn't be able to talk about it, only make the references, because I've never owned or even handled a LC9s. But after the switch was made, the reports of rods shooting out ceased entirely in social media.

What I have is an EC9s, which has the golf-tee rod with what seems like a steel insert encased in some sort of polymer.

Thanks for your insight.

EDIT: Just to clear an apparent confusion, the LC9 and the LC9s use a different rod. Stainless Steel Guide Rod for Ruger® LC9® and LC380® Pistols
The rod (RSA) for the LC9s and the EC9s is the same (part number 32).
"Come on Man" ??? I still don't know what your are talking about.

I've been a member her since well before the original LC9 was introduced and during the time of the LC9s and then the EC9s and carefully watched all the growing pains associated with both models before I made my purchase.

Your reference to a "golf tee rod RSA" is the first I've heard. Perhaps you could include a link to enlighten me about that phrase.

Again, I have one of the 2015 LC9s models. I include a picture of the original RSA. If you look closely at the left side of the pic, you will see that is it conical shaped. Perhaps that is the "golf tee" you are referring too. My picture very closely matches the picture in the current Ruger manual you posted.

Again I bought my LC9s in Feb of 2015, the pistol was manufactured in 2014. That predates exchange program you mention, yet my RSA seems to be the same as the new one.

The problem people were experiencing with early versions (my version included) was that the conical shaped portion was staked on the rod and manufacturing was doing a erratic job with the staking operation. That staking method of attachment still appears to be used on current models. It is clearly showing in the PDF manual that you attached to your post.

As to the use of any polymer materials in the RSA, you can clearly see the pitting and scraping on the inner sleeve of my RSA. It is metal. A thin magnetized screwdriver blade confirms that fact.

Because the LC9s/EC9s are striker fired pistols, the spring strength of the RSA and the spring in the striker assembly have to be closely matched or light strikes and other issues occur. As I recall that was the issue many people had with the Galloway replacement.

It seems to me that the "golf tee RSA" was being used by Ruger well before 2017-2018. There seemed to be a staking problem that allowed the end piece and some springs to fly apart. From what I can see, it was "fixed" by getting a handle on the manufacturing processes that made a more reliable staking (or flattening) of the end of the rod that went thru the piece that held the RSA together.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts