Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a new Vaquero. I want a 4.75" in .357. I just don't know if I should get it in stainless or blued. What do you all think? Pros and cons? Pics?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Whatever you like best. I don't think anyone can answer this for you,it is too subjective. I like both, but favor stainless.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Anygun will rust if neglected. Stainless just takes longer to rust if not cared for. Blueing can wear off with holster use but that adds character and brushed stainless can get polished spots also from holster wear.

But gunman said it best.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I have bought nothing but stainless in many years, because I live in the sunny South and work in hot attics, almost always have sweat to contend with, and high humidity here...do not put my guns in the safe...stainless is much more forgiving about moisture...sights can be blackened or painted if need be...the beauty of the bluing is not what it used to be....the cost of re-bluing is going up, and scratches show and make the gun vulnerable...I would buy blue only if the gun were not available in SS...

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's some of my thinking sheepdog. I'm just worried that the case hardened look will go to crap on me to soon. If it holds up well it looks good. But if it doesn't....

It will probably be one of deals where I happen to walk into the gun shop and see the gun I want. Then it will be decided for me.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Go stainless, and you have a gun that's good for your great grandchildren wear will show but not be as glaring as will wear on a blued gun.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
A very real problem I have run into with all stainless guns is the glare on the front sight on a sunny day. I have had it cause me to miss by several inches when the sun was glaring on the front sight. The glare causes the sight to look like it's in a different place than it really is. A quick but not permanent fix is to blacken the sight with a felt tip marker. It can be re blackened as needed. Frank

·
Banned
723 Posts
I have two New Vaqueros that I shoot SASS with. I got the Stainless because it wears better and it's easier to take care of. Also, it looks like the nickled guns of old, so it's still looks period correct.

Biker

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Bountyhunter, get that .357 yet? That'd be a pretty economical/versitle shooter. Mild .38s & heavy .357s Let us know what you do. Frank

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been looking at a couple of .357's on gunbroker, but the only thing I can find around here is. 45 colt in the OM versions. I like .45 colt, but the price of ammo is crazy and I don't reload. I can get the .45 Vaquero about $100 cheaper though.

·
Registered
219 Posts
quote: Bountyhunter sez

I've been looking at a couple of .357's on gunbroker,
Bountyhunter you know I am a newbie here, and I have a question. Do many folks actually buy off gunbroker.com.? I have been looking hard at gunbroker and auction arms and it appears most of the starting bids are higher than retail prices in the PHX area and the number of revolvers that do receive bids and end up selling is very small. I used gunbroker prices the other day haggeling on a 3 screw Single Six. Walked the owner thru gunbroker showing him the listings, while priced high, were not being bid on.

We in AZ seem to have about the best guns laws in the Nation so maybe I am living in a bubble. Not being negative on the auctions, I enjoy them, just wondering.

Thanks
Chance

·
Registered
842 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Pale Rider

Stainless is nice for wet or humid climates, but blued guns with nice stocks are classic in appearance.
+1. I have a few stainless guns and they are nice and maybe a bit easier to take care of, but to my eye the best looking guns are blued steel with wood grips. Don't have to be fancy, plain suits me just fine. Don't own a Vaquero(yet).
Baker

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
quote:Originally posted by Chance

quote: Bountyhunter sez

I've been looking at a couple of .357's on gunbroker,
Bountyhunter you know I am a newbie here, and I have a question. Do many folks actually buy off gunbroker.com.? I have been looking hard at gunbroker and auction arms and it appears most of the starting bids are higher than retail prices in the PHX area and the number of revolvers that do receive bids and end up selling is very small. I used gunbroker prices the other day haggeling on a 3 screw Single Six. Walked the owner thru gunbroker showing him the listings, while priced high, were not being bid on.

We in AZ seem to have about the best guns laws in the Nation so maybe I am living in a bubble. Not being negative on the auctions, I enjoy them, just wondering.

Thanks
Chance
I think most prices are a little too high myself. I've never bought a gun online, but I wouldn't hesitate if the right gun found me. It's a good resource if you're looking for a particular gun in a particular caliber. I myself would like to find an original model Vaquero in .357. SS or blued. My second choice would be a Vaquero convertible. .45 colt/acp. I also like my barrels to be 4.75" and no longer. The local shop gets these guns in once in a while, but I have to be there at the right time. So all in all I think that gunbroker and other such sites can be great at times. IMO.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Bountyhunter, don't be afraid to check with gun shops out of your state. As long as you have a local shop that is willing to receive it for you I think most shops will mail to another FFL. Frank

1 - 20 of 30 Posts