Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this thread isn't in the correct forum. I wasn't sure where this would be best so I threw it in the DA revolver since both mentioned are DA Revolvers.
Today I was lusting over a new LCR in .357 Mag. The cylinder was stainless and in Diamond Black color.
Does anyone know how they color the stainless steel like that? Would it be possible for me to have my stainless GP stained or have done whatever it is they do to get that color in the LCR?

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
I'm guessing the cylinder is nitrided. You can have stainless nitrided at various places. It's a surface traeatment that makes the metal darker, harder, and corrosion reisistant.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Ruger's website specs say the black finish on the LCR's stainless cylinder is PVD. PVD is physical vapor deposition where a vapor of material is deposited on metal under high heat and vacuum creating a thin film of bonded material. I haven't seen any place you could send off a revolver for a full PVD treatment but Cerakote is always an option and readily available.

For example, here are a couple of stainless steel GP100s that were Cerakoted black.

Cerakote is tough finish and there are applicators just about everywhere and the cost is reasonable. DIY is always an option as well.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the look of Cerakote too. How does the cylinder stop rubbing affect the wear of the finish around the cylinder? Does it hold up?

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
If a guy cleans up the locking bolt, it'll hold up a long, long time before showing a turn ring. It does eventually cut through, as will any finish/coating/polish. When it does, cerakote is one of the cheapest (would say IS the cheapest) to have touched up or recoated on a small part.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Like Varminterror said, it will hold up well but eventually a turn ring will develop. But not as quickly as a turn ring develops in a typical blued revolver.

The one I Cerakoted all black has about 500 rounds through it now and there is still not a visible turn ring, although if you catch the light right on it you can see a faint line starting to develop. At this rate it may take a 1,000 rounds or more to get a noticeable ring. But no big deal - easy to re-do the cylinder if I really care. Which I won't. Turn rings are a part of normal revolver looks to me.

Here's a more recent picture of the GP100. I polished the ends of the cylinder because that's where the Cerakote will ablate from firing. The PVD finish on the LCR seems more impervious to this effect.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Hey there waveform on your 2nd picture of your GP100 that has the cylinder left in stainless steel and the barrel high light on the sides in stainless steel. What type of wood grips are those with the Ruger Medallion on them?? These grips would look really sharp on my Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I haven't seen any place you could send off a revolver for a full PVD treatment but Cerakote is always an option and readily available.
There are lots of them, just Google "PVD gun finishes"
Or "PVD" and the name of the closest large city to you.

BTW, you can get PVD in a Brass finish, which might be of interest to some or you SA guys out there.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Hey there waveform on your 2nd picture of your GP100 that has the cylinder left in stainless steel and the barrel high light on the sides in stainless steel. What type of wood grips are those with the Ruger Medallion on them?? These grips would look really sharp on my Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp.
Those are rosewood and made by Eagle.

·
Registered
110 Posts
PVD Coatings

Hey Gang,
I know this is an old thread, however just purchased a 3in barreled LCRx in 22-mag from Buds; did transfer 01.22.2018

Specs say the cylinder has a PVD coating, wondered what that is, so did a Google search.

Here's a company that does PVD coatings... American Plating & PVD - they also explain what it is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts