Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm trying to determine if the Ruger Bisley Blackhawk Convertible 45LC/45ACP (Model # KRBN455WX) uses an aluminum frame, or a stainless steel frame?

This model does not appear to be in current production, but I do see new ones come up for sale from time to time. I think it was a distributor exclusive.

Now for a more general question.... I'm new to single action revolvers, and know that I want a Ruger. One of my requirements though is that I want an all steel gun, no aluminum. Does this leave me with only the Super Blackhawk? From what I have read, most of the regular "New" model Blackhawks use an aluminum frame?

Thanks!!

James

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
A little clarification please:

OP: are you asking about the GRIP frame or The Frame (with the S/N on it?)

Ruger Grip frames are traditionally aluminum. Brass was used/offered sometime ago and are just about impossible to find for sale.

Their frames are either blued mild steel or SS. They've never been chromed that I know of. Nick has never been used as far as I know either. It can been difficult to tell for sure sometimes because they offer such a perfect polish on their SS frames.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spike12,
I'm talking about the GRIP frames, not the serial numbered frame itself.

I know the Super Blackhawk revolvers come with STEEL grip frames, but I've been told most of Rugers other single action revolvers use an aluminum grip frame.

TMB (poster above you) mentioned that he thinks all Bisley grip frames are either steel or stainless steel, not aluminum. Interesting..

James

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,413 Posts
pctech, All stainless steel SA models have stainless steel grip frames. All blued Super Blackhawks and all blued Bisleys (all calibers) have steel grip frames. SBH blued steel grips frames will fit any blued Ruger SA from a Single-Six to a Blackhawk, which are aluminum. All Ruger SAs except for Old Model Bearcats have steel cylinder frames.

I wouldn't worry about an aluminum grip frame .... Ruger has been using them since 1953 and they hold up just fine, however it is a non-issue if you buy a Bisley because all of them are steel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Iowegan:
Thanks for clearing this up for me. I know there is nothing wrong with an aluminum grip frame, and that Ruger has used them for years, it's just a personal preference of mine. I like my revolvers to be all steel, and generally stainless steel!

Thanks,
James

·
16,413 Posts
pctech, I own quite a few Blackhawks with aluminum grip frames but decided to convert one of my 357s to a Super Blackhawk. The cylinder frame for a BH and SBH is identical (except caliber) so all I had to do was install a SBH hammer and SBH steel grip frame. Here's the result ... a 357 Mag "Super Blackhawk".

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
All Ruger SAs except for Old Model Bearcats have steel cylinder frames.

I wouldn't worry about an aluminum grip frame .... Ruger has been using them since 1953 and they hold up just fine, however it is a non-issue if you buy a Bisley because all of them are steel.

Ahh, you forgot about the Lightweight Single Sixes which had an alloy cylinder frame and alloy cylinder.

While aftermarket, there's a couple handfuls of elusive brass Bisley grip frames out there too. Two reside here.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I like my revolvers to be all steel, and generally stainless steel!
I have a BH .357 that came through with the aluminum grip frame. Even with the 4 5/8" barrel it just felt "nose heavy". I replaced it with a steel birds head grip frame, and the balance and handling are the nicest of any BH/SBH I've ever held and shot.

I'm surprised that Ruger doesn't offer it on a SBH.

·
16,413 Posts
BlkHawk73, Thanks for catching my omissions. One thing about Ruger .... if you say "always" or "never", likely there will be an exception.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hello All,

I'm trying to determine if the Ruger Bisley Blackhawk Convertible 45LC/45ACP (Model # KRBN455WX) uses an aluminum frame, or a stainless steel frame?

This model does not appear to be in current production, but I do see new ones come up for sale from time to time. I think it was a distributor exclusive ...
The KRBN455WX shown in the attached photo has a stainless steel grip frame.

I had occasion to query Ruger about the gun and they said:

"This particular model is an active Williams Distributors exclusive, model #0472, that indeed is not on the website. This gun started shipping on July 24th of this year ..." (2012)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Pell, that's one of a series of stainless Bisleys made as distributor exclusives. Initially in .44 mag followed by .41 mag, 45 Colt and .357 mag. They were also initially done for Acusport hence them being known as Acusport Bisleys regardless of if they were one of the later runs that did indeed go to Williams' Shooting Supply. There's been mulitple runs of the .41 mag and the convertable .45 model. These later runs had the barrel warning in the new location and had the red/brown grips instead of the grey laminate ones.

·
Registered
256 Posts
BlkHawk73: Thanks for that post. I had not heard of the Acusport Bisleys. Just googled it and had 3,110 results.

Funny story ... I went to the LGS to buy a "regular" 45 convertible with my son. As we were driving, I was telling him that the gun would be a compromise ... what I would REALLY like would be a convertible in stainless with a Bisley grip. At the LGS I was handling a "regular" convertible when my son, who had wandered away, came back and said "Hey, Dad ...". He had found 2 just-received Williams guns in another case.

This gun does have the warning @ the bottom of the barrel, along the ejector housing, and uses the black laminate grips. Mine was test fired 20Jul12.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts