Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new SP101 will be my first stainless steel revolver I've ever owned. Anything special I do to keep it clean - or not do?

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Stainless is easy to maintain. You will find different people uses different things. Something that works good for me is Eezox. It is a dry lubricant that goes on wet and dries. I have been using it on all my guns for several years and all my new guns have never had anything but it used on them. It works perfect for me but there are a lot of other things that also work. Just give a little TLC and you wont have any problems with whatever you use. :)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
There is a cleaning rag available just for stainless, do not use it on blued guns. I cannot remember the name but do remember it is yellow.
How is that for showing intent but being of no help? :)
Hopefully some one can help with the name. I think I have seen it on Midway's website

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds great Hairtrigger! Please do let me know if you remember or can find out the name of that stainless wiping cloth.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The one I got at Gander Mtn is Hoppes 9 Quick Clean. Good product.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cleaning my SP

I want to thank you all for your input on this subject. I bought a couple of cans of Eesox and a "lead removing" cloth as well. After about 75 rounds thru the SP this past weekend - .38's, 38+P's & .357 PD rounds - it was a MESS! :( I was just hoping these products would help me out. They did a marvelous job. First I sprayed the bbl & cylinders with the Eesox. Let it set a bit. Used a wire brush. Then ran thru patches, which came out BLACK! Then another spray and more patches. When the patches came out clean I gave the barrel & cylinder another good spray, followed by canned air to blow out the excess. The insides were looking great! I wiped it down with a clean cloth and then used the "lead removing" cloth on the still dingy exterior. WOW....that really took care any residual outside build up. She was really pretty once again. I guess I should have disassembled the trigger & cylinder to get a thorough cleaning inside. Next time I will - hopefully shooting again tomorrow. Again, THANKS for you help here folks! :)

·
Banned
274 Posts
If you really want that Stainless Ruger to look sharp, pick up some of this.

http://www.flitz-polish.com/?source=gg&camp=flitz&grp=name&term=flitz%20metal%20polish&&s_kwcid=flitz%20metal%20polish|746662339&gclid=COD07-ThqJICFQFbiAodCDdMLw

I use it on all my Stainless Steel weapons. Apply it with a small piece of terrycloth, and rub in the direction of the brushing. The cloth will turn black as it removes dirt and tarnish. Then buff it off until the surface is clean and bright. You will be amazed at how nice the gun will look. I have a Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 Magnum that was looking a little dull, so I took my time and went over the entire gun with Flitz while I was watching a Formula 1 race one morning. Afterward it damn near looked like it was Nickel plated! After I gave it a good wet cleaning in clean Kerosene followed by a good blow job with compressed air. I then re oiled it and wiped it down. It really looked beautiful. I now do this regularly with all of my Stainless Steel weapons. It keeps them looking really clean and nice. Bill T.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bilit

Are you referring to their "Stainless Steel & Chrome Cleaner"? Your web address in the previous post did not come thru correctly. Thanks!

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I haven't had my Stainless Guns very many years, but here is a Stainless Knife that I've had 10 yrs and carried every day. I've used it to field dress wild hogs and deer, castrate calves, cut plastic hay twine all winter for 10 yrs and numerous other things that you use a knife for. I have treated it just like I do my Guns and you can see it stills looks brand new. With a reasonably amount of care Stainless will look good for many years.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Calvin, that is a really nice knife you got there. It looks like it has been sharpend a few times in its life. It is my belief that every man should own at least one stag handled lock back folder. Here is mine on top.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts