Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got this 22. I think its a standard model, it doesn't have mk 1 or any thing else on it. serial # 200xxx. I haven't shot it yet, any quirks or problems with them? Its a great looking gun, seems well taken care of. Ive heard they are a bit of trouble to disassemble ? Any Opinions would be helpful. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I recently got this 22. I think its a standard model, it doesn't have mk 1 or any thing else on it. serial # 200xxx. I haven't shot it yet, any quirks or problems with them? Its a great looking gun, seems well taken care of. Ive heard they are a bit of trouble to disassemble ? Any Opinions would be helpful. Thanks

That's a Standard Model (Mk I would have adjustable sights) :thumbsup:

Disassembly/re-assembly isn't that bad. Plenty of good videos to show the process. You can download a copy of the manual off of the Ruger website.

When you shoot it a lot, make sure to clean under the extractor hook. 300 rounds of Rem "Golden Bullet" in an afternoon is enough to truly gunk up the extractor to the point it will affect feeding.

If you like to practice dryfire, 4-6-8 7/8" drywall anchors are a perfect snap cap for .22 LR (they will even feed from the magazine)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info eastman. Just got it yesterday and its been a little cold to get out and shoot. I cant wait to go put some rds thru it though. I shot one yrs ago (different model/bull bbl) but thought they were pretty neat guns, happened on this one while buying another gun. the guy said it was made in 61

·
Registered
531 Posts
FJ,

Hello and Welcome to the Ruger RF Pistol Forum! :)

You do have a Ruger 1961 4.5" Standard, with an A54 grip frame (magazine thumb follower is on the right side)!
Here's a good video to assist with the upper receiver and lower grip disassembly and reassembly, facilitating cleaning and lubrication of action components! Although he's using a MkII, the steps and sequences are identical for your Standard!

For maintenance, I like to use THIS! Once you separate the upper and the lower, No need to take down and apart all the action components to get a good cleaning and lubrication (except maybe the first time, as you may have 50+ yrs of rimfire grit build-up in yours)?!!

Congrats on your wonderful find...Enjoy! :D

Ted

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
welcome to the forum and nice pick up, everyone ask why I don't have a standard in my cabinet, I then ask myself why as well ...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I haven't shot it yet, any quirks or problems with them? Ive heard they are a bit of trouble to disassemble ? Any Opinions would be helpful. Thanks
I bought an old Standard model a couple years ago. It shoots very well, better than the much-acclaimed Mark II, which I also have. Quirks? Yes, but only one specific to this model. It came with a 9-round magazine. You can either modify a new 9-round magazine from Ruger the to hold 10 rounds - by cutting back the little peg that holds the spring in place on the bottom of the follower - or just use a Mark II or III 10 round magazine and switch the follower button to the other side. Under no circumstances attempt to modify the original 9-round magazine you have. They do not come apart easily and have a certain "collector" value. Use the new Ruger magazines for any mods. Other than that, I think the original Standard is pretty similar to the Mark II models, but I am not an expert on model differences.

I've had no problems with my Standard, and it is a 1951 model.

They are a bit tricky to take apart & put back together, but downloading & watching a video while you do it is the best way to make it a bit more painless. Having said that, I freely admit it took me three tries to get it back together properly despite frequent pause & replay of the video I had when I did it the first time. Be advised, the two different videos I've used always seem to have a perfectly clean, smoothly machined, and well-oiled gun as the example, and I assure you mine was not. I encountered three problems when I disassembled & reassembled mine.

First, getting the upper (Barrel & bolt) off the lower (grip frame/trigger mechanism). I had to use a rubber mallet to do that, unlike the "finger pressure only" example in the video. Don't worry, they do come apart. Perhaps mine had not been apart to be cleaned for a long time, perhaps it was machined to very tight tolerances, perhaps both. Regardless, it was a bit disconcerting at first to need a hammer to get it apart.

Second, getting the bolt stop pin up through the upper when reassembling. Another example of how it was not nearly so easy to do on my gun as the gun in the video. Why, their's just popped in place perfectly, while mine took some finagling to get lined up and a bit of force to get installed. But it works fine, it just wasn't as easy as the video made it appear.

The third problem was the one that is often the downfall of many first-time owners, the dreaded hammer strut not lining up correctly when reinstalling the mainspring housing. This is the part that really took me three tries to get right; I'm not proud of that, just relaying my experience. I did finally get it done and the gun functions fine. But I'm not anxious to do it again.

I noticed both my Standard and the Mark II had several scratches along the exposed mainspring housing lever on the back of the grip frame, no doubt to previous owners using a knife point or screwdriver to pull up the release lever. So when you go to do it the first time, use a paper clip, a loop of fishing line, or something similar to pop up the release lever. There is a difference between hard earned field use badges of honor and just being Bubba lazy.

Have fun with your new (old) gun!!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Great gun ...you gonna love it .

I had the one with a longer barrel and adjustable sights ( MKI Target) and never had any problems putting it back together . The MKII is the one that gave me fits...but I got the song and dance down now.
Gary

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have had my Mk II apart several times, and putting it back together is much easier now. One thing I did that helped me understand the assembly and function of the pistol: I put the main spring housing in place WITHOUT the barrel assembly. Then I could see how the main spring worked with the hammer and how it looked when assembled correctly.

It might not work for you, but it helped me.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have had my Mk II apart several times, and putting it back together is much easier now. One thing I did that helped me understand the assembly and function of the pistol: I put the main spring housing in place WITHOUT the barrel assembly. Then I could see how the main spring worked with the hammer and how it looked when assembled correctly.

It might not work for you, but it helped me.

Have a blessed day,

Leon
Great suggestion, Leon!!

With my first Ruger Mk pistol in 93' (MkII Comp), I'd also leave the upper off, but install the mainspring and test\watch the function of the lower action components. This (and the OM) surely assisted Me to quickly gain the simple skill for quick and effective re-assemblies! :D

Ted

1 - 9 of 9 Posts