Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find any standard SR-556 rifles on the Ruger site, only the take down. Are they discontinuing the line?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I wonder if they are trying to push buyers to the AR?

If they are getting rid of the SR standard that means my SR is worth a few dollars more than I paid for it?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Just went back to the new Beta site and I think I had better get down to my dealer and order the RPR before they decide to pull it from the line!

MSRP is $1,399. Stupid easy money for the product. I'll order it in .308 tomorrow!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I couldn't find any standard SR-556 rifles on the Ruger site, only the take down. Are they discontinuing the line?
The Wiki page for the Ruger SR 556 shows all discontinued except for the Takedown and CLA model (Carbine Light Adaptable), like you stated only the takedown is listed on their website.

The Shotshow is just around the corner, maybe a less expensive model will debut. The SR's only negative point was its much higher cost, IMO.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
The SR's only negative point was its much higher cost, IMO.
I put a deposit on mt SR556 about two week before Sandy Hook. I paid $800. I went in to the LGS the day after the terrible event and I couldn't get in the place!

I finally pushed to the counter and nodded at the clerk, who is extremely good at his job, and he took my SR556 out of a guy's hands (it had a sold tag on it) and handed it to me.

The guy offered me "twice what you paid for it" and for one long moment I was tempted. But, I had saved, read about and wanted to have this rifle in the safe.

I'm not at all sorry I didn't take the offer. "Baby" is my favorite!

I'm not even sure I would take the offer today at the most recent MSRP.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I put a deposit on mt SR556 about two week before Sandy Hook. I paid $800. I went in to the LGS the day after the terrible event and I couldn't get in the place!

I finally pushed to the counter and nodded at the clerk, who is extremely good at his job, and he took my SR556 out of a guy's hands (it had a sold tag on it) and handed it to me.

The guy offered me "twice what you paid for it" and for one long moment I was tempted. But, I had saved, read about and wanted to have this rifle in the safe.

I'm not at all sorry I didn't take the offer. "Baby" is my favorite!

I'm not even sure I would take the offer today at the most recent MSRP.
I received an email from Gunsite on Thanksgiving for a Black Friday sale. You neede to email after midnight for one of several SR556 CLA's they were letting go for $700 bucks. Well, I forgot about it until late Friday. The weekend and part of the next week passed before I saw the email in my junk folder saying the gun was mine at the special price. A quick check on-line shows them no lower than $1700-1900.

I was looking for another Colt, but this deal was too good if I could get one...and I did. Good Luck and Good shooting to you.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
I'm kind of curious about this. Dunno if Ruger is just discontinuing them due to low sales, or if they have something else up their sleeves. Perhaps a reworked version will replace the original.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I went to the website and it gave an option to go to their beta site. Had to download the catalog pdf and it shows 5 SR-556 models. The takedown, 2 standard models ( 1 state compliant 10 round model), and 2 carbine models.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow, I wonder what the old SR 556 FB with the tritium iron sights would go for now... Have to look at the AR models to compare...

-Don

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
I went to the website and it gave an option to go to their beta site. Had to download the catalog pdf and it shows 5 SR-556 models. The takedown, 2 standard models ( 1 state compliant 10 round model), and 2 carbine models.
Hmmm... since they're re-doing their website, I suppose it could be a "glitch."

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
At my LGS yesterday and the still have one of the SR556 Varmint models on the shelf. Heavy barrel, no iron sights and an A2 stock. $1,400.

I'm going back up this morning and put a deposit on it until I can figure out what I'm going to do with it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If though I didn't need another AR. I was gifted a SR762 when I retired last year. So far no issues! I liked the rifle so much I went out found a SR556. In Real Estate its Location, Location, Location. For my Firearms it starts with Fit and fell. The Ruger SRs are perfect for my fit and fell....IMHO. My dilemma is the SR556 I found was a SR556E. This SR556E had everything except the Chrome Lined Barrel. Since I was impressed with the SRs I even bought a AR556, because they offered a Rebate at the time. (Wife lost it. 3 Rifles in 3 months so it was Wine and Flowers for a couple weeks.) NOW I am worried! I went to the site to order a upper for the SR556. Seeing this thread I can agree that a SR556 could become more valuable if discontinued, however, my rifles get used. 'Discontinued' often leads to 'Unsupported'. Does anyone know the 'Real' store? AR15.Com threads are teotwawki type post. Maybe its a partial omit as they roll out their new web site.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I own two SR556's and was looking forward to owning more. But Ruger dropped the 6.8 SPC a few years ago and they have yet to release a dedicated 300 blackout AR rifle, other than the takedown optional barrel or the Mini offered in 300. And now it appears they may be abandoning their piston rifles for the more traditional, and cheaper to produce, gas impingement versions. Last January i was on the fence about purchasing an AR556. I would enjoy owning and shooting one, especially since it was lighter than my 556-E and capable of firing heavier rounds. But I kept reminding myself that it's just another M4 style AR15 with nothing special that sets it apart from all the others. Which is exactly why I bought the second SR, the VT version, instead of the AR556. If they are truly phasing out their piston AR's then i hope Ruger is currently working on other variations of their new DI rifle, including a longer barreled SPR type and possibly a 300 blackout. And maybe we'll finally get a 204 Ruger AR rifle from the company it's named after.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts