Ruger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Statue of hero in Littleton criticized

Navy Seal Danny Dietz, killed two years ago in Afghanistan while defending our freedom, is being honored with a statue in his hometown of Littleton, Colorado, to be placed in the neighborhood where he grew up, across from the elementary school he attended. Dietz was also awarded the prestigious Navy Cross for “extraordinary heroism in actions against the enemy.”

All is not well, however, as “concerned citizens” object to placement of the monument because it depicts—gasp—a soldier with a gun. After all, in the eyes of children, “it’s just a nine-foot guy with a gun.” The town is also the site of the infamous Columbine High School shootings in 1999, a “stigma” for Littleton “whether they like it or not,” said one parent who objects to the statue.

Fortunately, most Littleton citizens are more reasonable than the naysayers. “If they object to children seeing guns, they better object to every TV in the house. They’ll see more guns there than anywhere else,” said one local supporter.

Would that all gun dissenters remember the words of Darrell Scott, father of Columbine High victim Rachel Scott, who, testifying before a House Judiciary subcommittee on crime, said: “What has happened to us as a nation? We have refused to honor God, and in so doing, we open the doors to hatred and violence and when something as terrible as Columbine’s tragedy occurs politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the NRA... We do not need more restrictive laws... No amount of gun laws can stop someone who spends months planning this type of massacre. The real villain lies within our own hearts.”

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
It's up to the parents and TEACHERS to teach the children that it's NOT "Just a nine foot guy with a gun"----it's a reminder of a MAN who stood nine feet tall while he defended our way of life with a gun...think they will? I'd sit with my kids and tell them what the man went through and why-what he gave up for us all... that he was one of the "rough men" that stand between them and all that's evil in this world...and, if more like him had been around, Littleton, Co would still be just a little Colorado town instead of the scene of the Columbine massacre...I'd teach them that evil only understands massive doses of superior force...I'd train them, as I have my 3 boys, how to, when to, and to be willing to step up and pick up one of those horrid guns to protect and save precious lives...I need another cup-I'm gettin' mad...why are there so many weak-minded among us now that we have trouble honoring our HEROES?!!!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
sheepdog.........."why are there so many weak-minded among us now that we have trouble honoring our HEROES?!!!"

I'm really tired of these people too. Don't they remember how our country was built & how many have given their lives defending Her so that we can live our lives in freedom? I'd better shut-up, I'm starting to boil!

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Sheepdog, you hit the nail on the head. There has been a big breakdown in Parents and Teachers teaching kids what respect for people and our country is. Our young generation has turned into a me and what I want, regardless of how it affects others, generation. It scares me to see how little some of our young people care about other people. Hopefully there are still enough young people teaching their children family values, that they can make a difference in the future generation.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hey guys! Its been a while since I have posted anything here, but be assured that I check in damned near daily.

Now as to this 'objection' to the tribute to a fallen hero...:( May I not so respectfully suggest that those who have the duty of having this statue emplace tell ALL of those whiny, STUPID, gutless wonders, to just shut up and move on!

I have had my fill of these 'citizens' and feel its about time to put them in their well earned places. In the dung heap![^]

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yup!! Shovels around, please!!!! If it were THEIR son-they'd have a different attitude...kinda hard to deny an empty place at the table...

·
Registered
253 Posts
I don't care for hopolophobes.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Boy, don't use words like that on Sunday!!!...or without a two-cup warning...I feared it weren't in my little, close-at-hand dictionary, and it weren't......hurt my back dragging out my huge, every-word-that's-been-thunk-of dictionary, and it weren't either...forced to go to yahoo on half a cuppa coffee and entered heyou.com---not exactly what I was expectin'...all that to find out I don't like 'em either!!! Kinda like a man who doesn't trust anyone...or one who says "Let me tell you the truth..."

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
P.S....just checked the print date on my boat anchor dictionary---1983---they hadn't even identified that sub-species back then-still under the skunk family....guess I need to get a more modern than 24-year-old dictionary...just hate to have another thing in my home that says "Made in China, assembled in Mexico..."

·
Registered
253 Posts
"Hopolophobe" is a term coined by Jeff Cooper. It means someone with an inordinate or irrational fear of firearms or other weapons.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Actually, though both spellings are used, the more accurate one is "hoplophobia", without the extra "O".

Mea culpa.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
bestseller, boy, you sure have a way with words! [8D] Keep it up! We need a little refining around here!:D Good to have you!;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
quote:Originally posted by kansas45

bestseller, boy, you sure have a way with words! [8D] Keep it up! We need a little refining around here!:D Good to have you!;)
The word is Col. Cooper's, not mine, but thanks.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
It's up to we who have benefited from these late, great gunners' lives, words, and writings to share them with the folks who missed the pleasure...keep up the good work, bestseller92!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts