Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a NIB series 582 Ruger 14. Over the past few years I have collected over 2k of Tula 223, some FMJ and some Hunting Soft Points. I don't shoot steel case in my ARs so I have been sitting on this ammunition for a while.

My question is how well does the Ruger 14 handle Steel Case 223? I don't plan to shoot my 14 till I sell off the folding/collaspable stock and replace it with a Walnut Stock.

Dane

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have a NIB series 582 Ruger 14. Over the past few years I have collected over 2k of Tula 223, some FMJ and some Hunting Soft Points. I don't shoot steel case in my ARs so I have been sitting on this ammunition for a while.

My question is how well does the Ruger 14 handle Steel Case 223? I don't plan to shoot my 14 till I sell off the folding/collaspable stock and replace it with a Walnut Stock.

Dane
I've never tried it myself , I use brass ammunition in American firearms and steel in Soviet type firearms.

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
738 Posts
Caveat: I normally only shoot brass cased ammo because I stacked it deep in the good old days.
(pre-2020 :D :ROFLMAO: )
It's not the steel cases that are my concern, it's the bi-metal jacketed bullets that are generally used.

That being said, I have built several AR's over the years and always fire a few magazines of steel cased ammo to check function. If they won't cycle steel cased ammo, I know there is a problem.

I have fired steel cased Tula through my Mini-14 and it shot as well as anything else.
I have a couple of Spam Cans of Tula stored.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It will likely do fine for two key reasons:

Minis are somewhat over-gassed by the factory.

The barrel chamber is probably machined for a commercial version spec for 5.56mm NATO, so probably the same or slightly tighter chamber than military sourced 5.56 rifle barrels. Those chambers are given more clearance than match barrels to ensure reliability.

Unless a gun model tells you steel cased ammo use voids warranty, .223 Rem steel cased ammo in a 5.56mm NATO chambered gun is fine. Just don't be lazy about cleaning it when shooting a lot of steel cased bulk ammo.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,819 Posts
I've never tried it myself , I use brass ammunition in American firearms and steel in Soviet type firearms.
Same.

I have 1 ar that will cycle steel case, the minis i have and the other ars wont. Now the ak pattern, and sks all day long.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I recall a comprehensive evaluation on another forum that indicated that shooting bi- metal jacketed steel .223 in a mini 14 resulted in an accuracy loss of the barrel after 4000 rnds. That is about half of what shooting brass cased ammo will do. I don't know how well the "Range" Tula with the copper over lead core , steel case ammo will effect the barrel. I also hear that steel case ammo in the mini 14 can chew up extractors faster than brass cased, but I haven't seen any data to support that claim.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,819 Posts
Same.

I have 1 ar that will cycle steel case, the minis i have and the other ars wont. Now the ak pattern, and sks all day long.
Another note the only ar that i have that will cycle steel case is a carbine length gas, short buffer, the midlength, rifle length has, and rifle buffers will not. This seems to indicate a lower charge pressure, why i forsee it only works in the shorter gas setup with a higher pressure, versus the longer with a lower gas pressure. Its close to that threshold in psi i theorized.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Caveat: I normally only shoot brass cased ammo because I stacked it deep in the good old days.
(pre-2020 :D :ROFLMAO: )
It's not the steel cases that are my concern, it's the bi-metal jacketed bullets that are generally used.

That being said, I have built several AR's over the years and always fire a few magazines of steel cased ammo to check function. If they won't cycle steel cased ammo, I know there is a problem.

I have fired steel cased Tula through my Mini-14 and it shot as well as anything else.
I have a couple of Spam Cans of Tula stored.
Once again, JD is saving me time. I hate the bi-metal bullets, but the steel cases are just fine. I shoot brass in my ARs, but some steel in my Mini 30. Recently, I sold off my steel 7.62X39 and 9mm, and replaced it with brass with just a bit more money.

Odd thing is, my Mini 30 shoots steel case Herters better than anything, so I hunt with it. Target shooting gets brass.

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
738 Posts
Once again, JD is saving me time. I hate the bi-metal bullets, but the steel cases are just fine. I shoot brass in my ARs, but some steel in my Mini 30. Recently, I sold off my steel 7.62X39 and 9mm, and replaced it with brass with just a bit more money.

Odd thing is, my Mini 30 shoots steel case Herters better than anything, so I hunt with it. Target shooting gets brass.
and my son tells me
Darth vader Sleeve Font Personal protective equipment Photo caption

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Most SKS's and Ak's have chrome lined bores.
The barrel has nothing to do with how they cycle with steel case ammo. What does help is the fact that an AK and the SKS were designed to shoot steel case ammo, they’re a little loose in the chamber. An AR’s and mimi’s on the other hand aren’t. Take a loaded AK and a loaded AR, (or mini for that matter) throw them both in a mud puddle then put em out and see which one still shoots….it’ll be the AK.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The barrel has nothing to do with how they cycle with steel case ammo. What does help is the fact that an AK and the SKS were designed to shoot steel case ammo, they’re a little loose in the chamber. An AR’s and mimi’s on the other hand aren’t. Take a loaded AK and a loaded AR, (or mini for that matter) throw them both in a mud puddle then put em out and see which one still shoots….it’ll be the AK.
That's not true. The mini 14 has a chamber very much like a Wylde chamber. Which is a "Loose" chamber.

My comments about the chrome bores of the AKs and SKS's is related to how long they will last when shooting bi-metal jacketed steel case ammo.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I have shot steel out of my mini, AR, AK, and M1A. My citizenship in the United States has not been revoked and all the guns still function. I honestly believe steel ammo can and will wear out parts on your weapon faster. Parts can be replaced and as old as I am I don't see parts wearing out before I tip over. YMMV.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts