Ruger Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
726 Posts
The OP simply stated he has accumulated 2K of Tula, that he does NOT shoot steel cased ammo in his AR's and asked how the Mini-14 handles steel cased ammo.
He never explained why he does not shoot steel cased in his AR's.
The more I think about this, the more I believe that whatever his reasons for not shooting it in his AR's should be the same reasons for not shooting it in his Mini-14.

As for wear and tear on the rifles, Lucky Gunner did a steel case vs. brass case torture test in 2019.
While not a perfect test, it does seem to show that steel cased ammo suffered more failures and the bi-metal bullets degraded the accuracy of the barrels faster than Federal brass cased ammo.
The extra barrel wear is the reason I do not like bi-metal jacketed bullets.
Occasional firing of steel cased ammo is not a problem, and would I use it if that is the only thing available? You betcha.

Tula specifically generated the lowest gas port pressures of all the ammo used and that caused cycling problems.
That is why I like to make sure my AR builds can cycle the Tula.

If you have never read through the torture test, here is a link:
Brass vs. Steel Cased Ammo – An Epic Torture Test

Reactions: Redhawk100

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The OP simply stated he has accumulated 2K of Tula, that he does NOT shoot steel cased ammo in his AR's and asked how the Mini-14 handles steel cased ammo.
He never explained why he does not shoot steel cased in his AR's.
The more I think about this, the more I believe that whatever his reasons for not shooting it in his AR's should be the same reasons for not shooting it in his Mini-14.

As for wear and tear on the rifles, Lucky Gunner did a steel case vs. brass case torture test in 2019.
While not a perfect test, it does seem to show that steel cased ammo suffered more failures and the bi-metal bullets degraded the accuracy of the barrels faster than Federal brass cased ammo.
The extra barrel wear is the reason I do not like bi-metal jacketed bullets.
Occasional firing of steel cased ammo is not a problem, and would I use it if that is the only thing available? You betcha.

Tula specifically generated the lowest gas port pressures of all the ammo used and that caused cycling problems.
That is why I like to make sure my AR builds can cycle the Tula.

If you have never read through the torture test, here is a link:
Brass vs. Steel Cased Ammo – An Epic Torture Test
I don't shoot steel case in my ARs or my Colt M16 because I don't want them hitting my Aluminium Firearm. Steel is harder then Aluminium. Also there is a coating on the steel case that helps protect it from rusting and that coating builds up in AR Chambers causes problems.

I just wanted to know if anyone shoots steel in their Ruger 14s and if there are any issues and/or concerns. I never really owned or shot a Ruger Mini 14 before. I did buy a SS Mini 14 with a folding stock my father back in the 70s that he took to FL. I just tested it out with him at the range before he took it back to the Keys.

I do shoot my steel case 223s out of my son's SBRed Bulgarian AK47 chambered in 223. AKs are built for steel cases.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My experience with shooting steel case, bi-metal jacketed bullets in my mini 14:

1) there seemed to be a significant amount of standard deviation between rounds, even out of the same box.

2) As a result of #1, accuracy suffered.

3) Carbon accumulation built up very quickly. The chamber was extremely dirty after only 1 box ( 20 rnds) through the Mini.

The good news is that every round fired and functioned in the mini 14. I credit the Ruger for the crap Ammo's ability to function 100% in the mini 14. I doubt an AR would function as well with the same ammo ( Tula 55 gr. Bi-metal, steel case .223 ammo ).

As a result of my own shooting experience, and the lucky gunner report, I have decided to only shoot brass case .223/5.56 ammo in my firearms of those Calibers. ( Ruger mini's and bolt action).

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
726 Posts
My experience with shooting steel case, bi-metal jacketed bullets in my mini 14:

1) there seemed to be a significant amount of standard deviation between rounds, even out of the same box.

2) As a result of #1, accuracy suffered.

3) Carbon accumulation built up very quickly. The chamber was extremely dirty after only 1 box ( 20 rnds) through the Mini.

The good news is that every round fired and functioned in the mini 14. I credit the Ruger for the crap Ammo's ability to function 100% in the mini 14. I doubt an AR would function as well with the same ammo ( Tula 55 gr. Bi-metal, steel case .223 ammo ).

As a result of my own shooting experience, and the lucky gunner report, I have decided to only shoot brass case .223/5.56 ammo in my firearms of those Calibers. ( Ruger mini's and bolt action).
I hate to disappoint you :) , but I have fired a few hundred rounds of Tula .223 out of all of my AR's and no problems.
It was after the Lucky Gunner test that I decided not to use it anymore because of the wear caused by bi-metal jacket bullets.

I also remember some lacquer tests which revealed that it does not build-up in the chamber, that the build up is actually carbon. Steel cases do not expand like brass, which causes the carbon build-up.
I'm not sure if any steel cased ammo still uses lacquer anymore, seems they have switched to a polymer coating.

People will shoot the steel cased stuff, then switch to brass without cleaning and that causes a lot of problems due to dirty chambers coupled with the brass expansion.

As an aside,
I know AK's get a lot of kudos for being able to continue firing even when very dirty.
But I'm not sure if that is a result of the design or simply a bi-product of inferior Combloc machining.
Turning a "deficiency" into a feature. :ROFLMAO:

21 - 24 of 24 Posts