Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it OK to use steel case ammo in the Mini14 and Mini 30? Or will it cause wear and damage to parts quicker?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I shoot steel cased Tulammo And WOLF ammo in my .223 Mini 14 Ruger Ranch Rifle all the time as does my friend in both his older Mini 14 & his Mini 30 rifles for years now with NO issues...

The Tulammo is a little dirty and we clean our rifles well after each use so as not to allow any corrosive issues to present themselves...

·
Registered
141 Posts
I shoot steel cased ammo through both my 185-series and my 582-series Tactical all the time. I've had no problems at all and, while Herters and TulAmmo may not be as accurate as more expensive rounds, they sure are fun! And relatively cheap (or they were until recently).

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I was hoping so. It is much cheaper! I can deal with the dirt and make sure I clean them. Just don't want to wear them out to quickly.

·
Registered
202 Posts
This is just my opinion, but I'm no fan of steel cased ammo, I know many who shoot it, some have had no problems, but a couple guys have suffered broken bolts and extractors from it. Besides you can't reload the stuff.
Steel case ammo is ok for the Eastern Block rifles like AK's, AKM's, and SKS's, but I wouldn't use it in an AR, M1A, or my Mini-14.....YMMV

1 - 5 of 5 Posts