Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My LGSs usually have a 1 box purchase limit on Brass, but either no limit or a 5 box limit on steel case Wolf or Tulammo. With it being so difficult to find ammo I’ve been considering shooting steel case for the first time (I’ve only shot brass on my Security 9).

I keep reading about steel cased ammo damaging the barrel and the extractor. What would be some signs that my barrel and/or extractor need to be replaced? Where can I purchase replacement parts for my Security 9? I tried googling this but only found replacement guide rods, not barrels or extractors.

To give some context, I only shoot about once a month and usually only 100-150 rounds per session. A barrel seems easy enough to replace but for the extractor I’d probably have to reach out to a gunsmith for that, should it become damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,564 Posts
I wouldn't worry about damage to the Security 9. If something does break it will be easily repaired. As a current production pistol parts are available and Ruger will service it. I would not give the same advice to the owner of a vintage Hi Power or S&W Model 39. The issue you face is whether your particular pistol will run reliably with the steel cased ammo. The elasticity of the metal is different than brass. This can cause issues with extraction depending on the dimensions of the chamber. If the cheap and plentiful Wolf/ Tula works in your pistol and is accurate enough then go for it. Keep the gun clean and lubed. Happy shooting!

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
two or three boxes a month won't cause a measurable amount of harm to your pistol and the extractor steel is a lot tougher than case steel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a Security 9 but I haven't shot a ton of steel case ammo in it, but mine runs fine on Wolf. With that said, I have run a ton of Wolf 9mm over the years in other guns and I've never had any problems with it.
I've heard bad things about Tula, but I don't have any first hand experience with it.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Silver Bear is my first choice in steel. It is my favorite practice load in 9x18mm Makarov, and their .223 and .308 were also good.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
The Silver Bear that I shoot in Mini30s shoots 100% and shoots like match ammo, you can't say that about all steel case, or hardly any of it. No reason to think that Silver Bear in pistol calibers wouldn't also be top tier for Russian ammo.

ChicoBass, don't mess around with the LGS and their one box limit. Go to SG Ammo (Oklahoma) or Target Sports USA (Connecticut) and buy a case of good ole brass ammo.
CCI Blazer Brass, PMC, Federal Eagle and Champion, PPU, S&B and other brands.
SG Ammo was getting lots of 9mm back in stock as of a couple weeks ago, I ordered a case of W-W Nato 124 grain and 300 Federal HST for carry. But I just checked and they are wiped out again as far as practice ammo.
They still have some carry ammo like Gold Dots, etc. Check back every few days and when they get in a pallet of what you want, jump on it and place an order.
They are a good company to deal with, flat rate shipping and fast service. The last few orders I placed during Covid were at my door in 4 days.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the info sandog. I have been looking online for some .38 spec ammo and the shelves are bare. Even my LGS has empty shelves. I haven't looked at SG Ammo before. Maybe I can find some. Thanks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It will depend on the gun. My P89 eats steel like candy. BUT, I won't run steel in my Shield. Had to hammer a steel case out of my buddy's Shield 40SW. I guess the chamber tolerances are too tight.

·
Cat Herder
1,562 Posts
I'll second SG Ammo. They tend to have some of the better prices around, and you can get setup for emails of when new stuff comes in. Ammo limits at stores helps prevent hoarding and gouging, but one box is absurd.

I use steel case Wolf 6.5 Grendel in my AR. Runs flawlessly so far, good for the steel torso silhouette at 300 yards at my range using peeps. It's probably 3 MOA for me based on when I sighted in my rifle at 100 yards. For aperture sights on a very budget AR, I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Haven't checked either lately as I am stocked up and haven't been able to get much practice lately, but Georgia Arms and North Georgia Arms both make decent remanufactured ammo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts