Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Freedom Munitions has announced their new American Made, Steel cased ammunition! Only available in 9mm at this time.
Looks like reloaders will have to carry a big magnet in their range bag to reject the plated steel cases!
I wonder how this is going to go over with the LR's.

mb

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I saw it too. Not enough price delta to justify leaving steel behind.
Why plate it in the first place? That is what makes me ponder.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand the brass plating on the inside of the case flakes off and produces a lot of sparks and flash debris. The round does not shoot as clean as the all brass cases!

mb

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Winchester also launched a new steel case ammo, but I don't know if it is plated. It wasn't cheap enough to make it competitive, IMO.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I understand why steel case but I can't imagine plating will do any good. Plating costs and that cost is absorbed by the consumer, so why not just buy brass or Russian unplated steel.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
I see many brands of steel 9mm on AmmoSeek.com.
Don't see any from Freedom Munitions yet.
Some prices are good, but other steel prices are not that good.
May be a market test for FM.
I like their ammo, but don't care for the steel.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Reloaders gonna love this stuff when they start tearing up loading equipment. I won't buy that brand of ammo.
Hopefully we can tell by finish.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Freedom Munitions has announced their new American Made, Steel cased ammunition! Only available in 9mm at this time.
Looks like reloaders will have to carry a big magnet in their range bag to reject the plated steel cases!
I wonder how this is going to go over with the LR's.

mb
Looked like it is only $1/box of 50 cheaper than factory new brass (and about the same as remanufactured brass). I guess I don't see much point since it is a buck a box more than the Federal aluminum case 9mm.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I'll stick with brass at that price point.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,041 Posts
Something to think about ..... for more than a century, ammo manufacturers have been making cases that were reloadable. This may seem like a "selling feature" but in reality, it's just the opposite. Ammo companies end up competing with themselves ... meaning reloaded ammo is cheaper so customers either reload themselves or buy reloaded ammo that dramatically cuts into the sales of new ammo. For private reloaders, it is just a token of the market .... not enough to get worried about; however, commercial reloaders are now getting very popular and sell huge amounts of ammo that DOES directly compete with new ammo manufactures.

So how do the ammo manufacturers solve the "self competition" problem? Simple, they make a case that is not reloadable ... aluminum, steel, or other material that will only hold up to one "shot". Sad but true, this is the way of the modern world .... a throwaway society where nearly all used products are tossed in the trash. If you reload or plan to reload in the future, now is the time to start building up a supply of reloadable cases. invest in bricks of primers, and buy enough powder to last for many years. When stored properly, powder and primers will last for decades.

For those people that cast bullets .... remember when lead wheel weights and linotype was plentiful? Those days are over so now if you want to cast lead bullets you end up buying lead .... which is no longer worth the effort .... unless you have a nice stash of lead.

As for brass plated steel cases .... what happens to steel when it is exposed to the elements? Yup, it rusts. A couple ways to prevent a steel case from rusting is to paint it or powder coat it .... much like Russian made steel case ammo. A better alternative is to plate it with brass. This is less expensive and it doesn't flake off and interfere with the gun's action like paint. Keep in mind ... these cases are NOT designed to be reloaded so it would be wise to keep a magnet at your reloading bench.

Back to brass cases .... in years past, US made cartridge brass was an alloy of 70% pure copper and 30% pure zinc; however in recent years these metals increased in cost to a point where most ammo manufacturers started using "scrap brass" for cartridge cases, which results in a mystery alloy. To the normal consumer, this makes virtually no difference .... the ammo goes bang ... just like it is supposed to. For the reloader, it makes a big difference ..... if the brass alloy wasn't just right (70/30) cases will split or burn through. At a minimum, cases just don't last as long as they used to. It is not unusual to get a box of ammo where most of the cases burn through .... and this is NOT brand specific ... it happens with all brands but more so with foreign made brass. American manufacturers get most of their brass from foreign countries .... mostly Korea and China where quality control is a myth.

In my opinion, the "not to distant future" does not look favorable for us reloaders!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Dumb question. Is there really a reason not to buy steel? I'll never reload. Don't shoot enough. FWIW steel is about 2$ a box cheaper up here. That's about .09 USD.
Lyle

·
Registered
283 Posts
One of the reasons that ammo makers had a really hard time meeting demands a couple years ago was they lacked components to increase out put. I have noticed since then a rise in alternate case materials. About a year ago I started seeing Federal Aluminum cased ammo at Walmart and now others are coming out with steel cases. I feel that this is so they wont get caught short when the next scare happens

·
Registered
194 Posts
Dumb question. Is there really a reason not to buy steel? I'll never reload. Don't shoot enough. FWIW steel is about 2$ a box cheaper up here. That's about .09 USD.
Lyle
Some say it's hard on your extractor, others say the savings could replace that extractor multiple times over. Some say it is hard on your chamber, others say BS. I know it's not the answer you want but yours is a question only you can answer. I shoot steel case in my AR 5.56 but not in my AR 6.8mm because it's not available. I've shot AL case but aside from that I use brass. If you shoot thousands of rounds a year buy steel. If you shoot hundreds buy brass. That's my 2 cents, American of course.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts