Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's not a ruger...but... does anyone know a gunsmith that is willing to re-blue and re-bore JR Stevens 22LR circa 1894?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
947 Posts
You don't indicate which model your Stevens rifle is, but if the gun shoots and functions well, it's best if you leave it in original condition. Stevens made some pretty nice rolling and falling block rifles at the turn of the century, and rebluing older guns like this will usually devalue them quite a bit. Collectors of vintage and antique firearms like them honest and original.;)

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
You don't indicate which model your Stevens rifle is, but if the gun shoots and functions well, it's best if you leave it in original condition. Stevens made some pretty nice rolling and falling block rifles at the turn of the century, and rebluing older guns like this will usually devalue them quite a bit. Collectors of vintage and antique firearms like them honest and original.;)
I agree, but it can be done. American Guns (Gunsmoke) has turned some really nice bluing jobs. There's definitely some art that goes into it. If you still want to do, Google places that reblue historic firearms. A good Smith should post pictures of his work.

Are you looking for the traditional bluing or that sort of marbled look? That's the one that looks great to me, especially on an older firearm.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Being it's his firearm, he can do what he wants, but the collector in me cant help but feel melancholy when I see an old piece blued over and the crispness of the edges and lettering dulled by buffing wheels. The polishing away of the patina and the handling marks masks the honest history and character that only loving use on field and farm can give it. Once the originality is gone, it can never be retrieved. When you have done your job well over a period of 100 years, you wear your scars and patina like a badge of honor......:)

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Being it's his firearm, he can do what he wants, but the collector in me cant help but feel melancholy when I see an old piece blued over and the crispness of the edges and lettering dulled by buffing wheels. The polishing away of the patina and the handling marks masks the honest history and character that only loving use on field and farm can give it. Once the originality is gone, it can never be retrieved. When you have done your job well over a period of 100 years, you wear your scars and patina like a badge of honor......:)
I agree, totally! I was just pointing out that it "can" be done and that was at least once source I knew of.

I"ve seen them do somethings on American Guns that made me cringe! The worst one was the time they "sporterized" an original Krag Jorgensen. They chopped the barrel and the stock, painted it all black, installed hand guards with picatinny rails and modern optics.

But to the issue of bluing, I've seen them do some amazing stuff. One one episode they made a replica Buntline Special. It was one of their more interesting episodes. Worth a watch.

NOTE: The link below is to tv-links.eu. You can watch the episode for free, but you have to sign up, which requires a credit card. I haven't read all the gotcha's yet, but maybe someone can find a better link for American Guns, Season 2, Episode 14.
http://www.tv-links.eu/tv-shows/American-Guns_27857/season_2/episode_14/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts