Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm finally getting around to modifying a stinger missile case that I picked up a couple of years ago. I'm essentially "repurposing" the container to create a secure and robust rifle locker that can also see duty with travel and at the range as well. These cases hit the surplus market between five and ten years ago and retailed between $150-$300 plus shipping. I had an opportunity to buy four at $150 each back in 2010; but a busted dryer squelched the deal and I have lamented the lost opportunity ever since. Upside, I made Mrs Teague very happy with a new stackable washer and dryer. Fast forward to 2013 and I had about $250 of birthday money burning a hole in my pocket and just so happened to find someone that still had few stinger cases to get rid of. I made contact thru a email address and in less than seven business days the big brown truck dropped my new case at the front door. That's a lie, I saw him coming down the street and I met him in the driveway. I was so happy to have this one case because they were getting scarcer than hen's teeth; still are. You might say the supply has dried up for all practical purposes. You do however see them occasionally on the various gun auction sites, as well as AR15.com, calguns.net, survivalistboards.com etc, etc. Point is, if you want a stinger case, be on the look out and buy it if you have the opportunity. That's really enough background and I won't bore you with it any longer. Moving on to the build.

This is the stinger case I started with:

Published dimensions vary some, but my measurements are as follows:

Outside dimensions are: 66" L x 13.5" W x 13.5" H This includes the welded aluminum bumpers. Usable inside dimensions are: 61.5" L x 11.5" W x 13" H

This is a photo of what the case looked like inside, before the foam was removed. Foam configuration varies and I assume it relates to year; ordinance; mission/unit specific etc etc. It doesn't really matter because you will have plenty of usable foam for custom configuration. I borrowed this pic from a auction because I failed to get a picture before I removed the foam; mine was identical.

The next few pics show the tools I used and what the box looks like after foam removal

Rattle can clear coat enamel. I opted to keep the color and markings of the container; I used the enamel to protect it. Color or finish to your option.
Long thin kitchen knife for cutting foam, multi-tool with scraper and sanding head to prep the inside after foam removal. And 3/8" all thread for the attachment of wheels

foam will be shaped for various configurations depending on how many rifles I want to carry. I also will have partitions, so ammo cans can be kept secure inside during transport, depending again, on how many rifles I decide to take to the range.

box with foam removed; scraped and sanded. Ready for gluing of liner and the shaping of foam blocks.

Last pic is of what the box looks like with the clear coat.

Up next, liner, foam and wheel installation.

Regards

Rod

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Interesting project!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I won't have an empty case until I fire one of my stingers. I'm sure most of the forum members are in the same situation.

·
Registered
17,275 Posts
Lookin good!

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
That is sweet. The clear coat made it pop.

Keep us posted on progress, I want to see how you do the wheels.

What does she roughly weigh empty?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks guy's for your interest.

Because I can sense a few tepid responses; let's put this case into perspective. Twenty five years ago when I was working for Siemens medical, my wife purchased me a Zero Halliburton 5" brief case that cost just under $400. Zero does not make this case any longer because they would have to charge almost $1000 for the case. To purchase a rifle case of this quality, that is pressurized and measures internal humidity(thats right, read it again) you would spend nearly $3000 retail. In fact NO ONE makes a aluminum rifle case to this standard. Lets put this another way. Take your most prized and expensive firearm(s), place them in this case, throw a silica packet in and close it up. Bury it in an undisclosed location and then give the coordinates to the law firm of your choosing. When your heirs reach the fourth generation , under your will and testament, the law firm delivers the directions to the location of your buried treasure to your heirs. They will find a pristine collection of some of the finest antique firearms known to their generation. Thats what you get for approximately $200 with this case. Like I said earlier; you find one or two of these….. buy them.

EDIT You Know I'm exaggerating just a little; maybe two or three generations at best. LOL

Regards and happy hunting!

Rod

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is sweet. The clear coat made it pop.

Keep us posted on progress, I want to see how you do the wheels.

What does she roughly weigh empty?
Thanks baldy:D

wheels will be on within the next 2 weeks; I'm looking for better alloy all-thread. I've found some that hopefully I'll pick up at Fastenal tomorrow morning.

Weight? according to my "uncertified electronic bathroom scales" the stinger case, with all foam removed, weighs right at 41lbs. I am 100% certain the weight is more like 35 lbs. I am a wrestling coach, and my son was a senior wrestler last year. Our scale was consistently 6.5-7 lbs over weight all year. I have left 2 small pieces of foam in the case, and with known weight adjustment to my scale; the stinger case should weigh just under 35 lbs. Validation also comes by way of the fact that I am the strength coach and I lift 45 lb plates, 4 days a week. This case does not feel like a 45lb plate. It feels more like a 35 lb plate.

Regards

Rod

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you going to use Grade 8 or aluminum all thread?
Either B7 or Kromite. Both I believe are 4040 alloy steel which would be comparable to a grade 6 or 8 bolt; the Kromite is a roll thread that has a much higher tensile strength than cut threads. Fastenal carries a B7, but I'm not sure if it is roll thread or not.

Regards

Rod

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
It looked like it had some mass, but the is what makes it durable.

I knew it was a two person move when load originally but had no idea what the weight was empty.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Rodteague some folks may not know what these were designed for. Not only the long term storage of a stinger, but transport in rough conditions by allied forces.

Get off a ship in Pakistan. Bump into the mountains in a truck, turn over to Taliban Freedom fighters who then drag and carry over some of the worst terrain and conditions in the world to end up shooting down a Rssian helicopter.

Then return it for deposit (joke)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts