Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Can I add a foregrip to the factory hand guard? If yes, which?

Thanks.
Any of the supply companies have them. Brownells. midway USA etc. via an add on rail to the hand guard.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I sometimes think tha tI am the only gun owner int he USwho has 3 stock ars. I mean by that no rails foregrips etc.
Lol, you are not!lol

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
I sometimes think tha tI am the only gun owner int he USwho has 3 stock ars. I mean by that no rails foregrips etc.
OMG. Do your rifles even shoot? How do you hold onto them without any extra grips? How do you see without lasers and flashlights and infrared sights? What if zombies attack us?

(Btw, mine is also stock. Seems to work just fine).

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Yes, a foregrip can be added to a Ruger AR-556, but it WILL need a rail section added. Not sure if the AR-556 handguard has mil-spec hole spacing - I'd tend to assume it does, but I could be wrong. Ruger has done more foolish things before.

I have a bunch of AR's which are exactly the way they left the assembly line... Although, I'd admit, the assembly line for most of them was my work bench...

My CMP rifle looks pretty plain jane - they have to. I have a Bushy Varminter which looks exactly as it did from factory, only change was a Shilen barrel (really wanna swap the A2 for a PRS or Luth-AR). Another is an M4 Hbar clone, which is as it left factory - including a special order of a 2 stage match trigger, so technically it's stock, but technically, you can't buy one like it off of the shelf.

I don't like giving out our numbers, but my wife and I have over 35 AR's in the safes, most of them, I have built myself with certain purposes in mind, so they don't get changed thereafter.

Then again - out of everything we have in the safes, very, very, VERY few of them are exactly as they were when they left the factory. Many still look the same, but almost everything we own has been tuned up, trued up, or prettied up in one way or another.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Added a foregrip on my ar556. My hand won't open flat to hold the handguard from the bottom but can hold a foregrip vertically. Only way I can shoot a rifle and it works. Go for it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will do ditto.

Another question.

Will a 3 slot rail work with a Magpul MOE RVG Vertical Grip? Or do I need the 5 slot?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Will do ditto.

Another question.

Will a 3 slot rail work with a Magpul MOE RVG Vertical Grip? Or do I need the 5 slot?

Thanks.
5 slot will give you more strength. Not sure a vertical grip will fit on either with any descent support. I'm thinking you'll need an 8 slot.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I have a couple "lower end" models that are still stock outa the box. :D

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
You aren't alone. I've added scopes on two AR's but, think about the uselessness of all of the junk you can pile on a rifle, it doesn't make it shoot any better.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
You aren't alone. I've added scopes on two AR's but, think about the uselessness of all of the junk you can pile on a rifle, it doesn't make it shoot any better.
That's one of the "cheap thrills" I get out of going to the range. Seeing all the fancy dodads people stuff on their rifles just too look cool. Then seeing their 50 yard target that looks like it was hit with double ot buckshot. :p

·
Registered
80 Posts
I opted for the PTK and VTS. Had to add rails.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had a crazy few weeks.. It all started when I broke my delta ring with a pair of channel locks haha. I called Ruger hoping they would fix it(I read somewhere on this forum they had you ship your rifle back to a factory) but instead they sent me a new delta ring via mail.

First let me tell you, I am a complete newbie to breaking down a gun. I bought a video from amazon called "building your AR from scratch". I am pretty happy with the purchase because I don't think I would be able to attack this without watching the video first. I was scared to pull off the front sight because I wouldn't be able to align it back to center without a special tool but it turns out the 2 tapered pins go thru a slot on the barrel so there is no confusion.
Mission accomplished.
Also I bought a new pair of hand guards that I ordered from Amazon for $20! Too bad it's made in china but on a good note they are aluminum.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts