Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanted to share a photo of the target my 13 year old grand son shot. this is a 5 shot 100 yard target. the mini 14 is a stock 196 series with an accustrut. I've shot a lot of rounds to finally find a load it likes! PART_1441648670684_20150906_180324.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
secret

how did you know? retired navy. any way, sierra 69 grain matchking bthp. 25.3 grains varget right out of the sierra manual. still going to try different loads though.

·
Registered
362 Posts
That's some good shooting!!

I must say, since you're from Whitefish, that my favorite breakfast place in the whole wide world is the Buffalo Cafe. Omlettes the size of a cow patty. Life just doesn't get any better!

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Those Sierra match bullets are awesome. My heavy barrel Remington .308 shoots one hole groups with them. I lived in Whitefish for a couple years right after I got married. Looks like you've got a good Mini (and a good shot in the grandson). What glass are you using on the Mini ?
I found a good load in my 196 series using the 77 grain Sierra Matchking with IMR-4895. I have been using Varget for my .308 Match loads but am down to one pound and haven't seen any more for sale.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
using the bushnell ar 223 scope 6-18. only calibrated for 55 gr. bullets but will figure out settings. yes, very surprised with grandsons shooting. just got him started 2 years ago.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Wow, 5 shots using a Mini-14 awesome to say the least. Most of the Ruger Target models in Mini-14 won't do that. Congratulations to your grandson and to his grandpa for some excellent coaching.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts