Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Friday off yesterday, so I did a Relief shift (11AM to 9PM) at the police department. Relief shift is usually a lot of traffic stops and fender benders with the occasional shoplifter or minor miscreant thrown in for spice, but it's a good opportunity to see what is happening in the community during the afternoon and early evening.

Out of the blue, at about 1PM, we got a call for an armed robbery in progress at one of the many marijuana shops that have sprung up since legalization. These operations are "cash only", since federal laws prohibit banks and credit card companies from opening accounts for them, so they are a tempting target for robbers - lots of cash and a product that sells for upwards of $100 a gram.

The first car on the scene found that the store staff (owner and clerk) had the robber at gunpoint, so there wasn't too much excitement for us. I helped "secure the scene" (i.e. hang out and listen to the story) while the first-arriving officer took the robber to jail and the detective interviewed the witnesses and got the surveillance video. The story was worth the wait.

According to the store staff, the robber - who was a regular customer - walked in and went right up to the counter, pulled out a revolver, pointed it at the clerk's head and said "Give me all the money!" (not very original). The clerk, taken by surprise, had no choice but to comply, so he opened the register and started pulling out the bills; at the same time, he pushed the silent alarm button.

The owner, sitting in the back office (doing some quality testing, by the look of his eyes), saw the alarm go out and - by his own admission - walked out front to chew out the clerk for setting off the alarm. Now the robber had them both at gunpoint. After getting all the money and a selection of some of the choicest merchandise, the robber pointed his gun at the owner's head and pulled the trigger.

Instead of a loud bang, however, there was soft but distinct "click", followed by another "click", as the robber pulled the trigger again. This changed the situation dramatically.

The owner immediately pulled out his own gun and pointed it at the robber, commanding him to drop the gun, put up his hands and get down on his knees. The robber, bowing to the inevitable, did as he was commanded, and this was the tableau that greeted the first-arriving officer.

Turns out that the robber's gun hadn't malfunctioned. Apparently, in all of his preparation for the robbery, he had overlooked one small item on the check list: he forgot to load his gun.

Jim

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,547 Posts
The robber was intent on killing the owner. Wow! It's the owner's lucky day!

The owner, sitting in the back office (doing some quality testing, by the look of his eyes)...
The owner immediately pulled out his own gun
ATF Form 4473: "Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?" :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
467 Posts
I don't know Oregon's laws, but that sounds like attempted murder to me (on top of the armed robbery). I hope the prosecutor crucifies that POS. :mad:

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The robber was intent on killing the owner. Wow! It's the owner's lucky day!
Yeah, he definitely "dodged the bullet" - pun intended.

ATF Form 4473: "Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?" :rolleyes: ;)
Well, that's an issue that comes up for discussion a lot, these days. Since the federal laws still have marijuana as an illegal drug, any use would be "unlawful" in terms of a federal form like the ATF Form 4473. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about that, since I don't use marijuana and I don't have to enforce federal drug laws.

Still, I'm not sure I feel comfortable with people carrying loaded weapons while under the influence of marijuana, any more than I like having people carry loaded weapons while drinking. I grew up in a rural area and saw enough tragedy from mixing alcohol and firearms; I can't imagine it's any better mixing firearms and marijuana.

Jim

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know Oregon's laws, but that sounds like attempted murder to me (on top of the armed robbery). I hope the prosecutor crucifies that POS. :mad:
The detectives charged him with robbery, assault with a deadly weapon and attempted murder. We'll see which of those charges stick in court.

Jim

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I see a direct link between being a regular customer and forgetting to load the gun.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,547 Posts
The detectives charged him with robbery, assault with a deadly weapon and attempted murder. We'll see which of those charges stick in court.

Jim
Now, that one I don't get, when the DA appears to be answering a multiple choice kind of question and "(D) All of the above" isn't an acceptable answer.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now, that one I don't get, when the DA appears to be answering a multiple choice kind of question and "(D) All of the above" isn't an acceptable answer.
It's possible that he might be convicted on all of the charges; on the other hand, his lawyer and the DA might "cut a deal" where he pleads guilty to armed robbery and the attempted murder charge is dropped. Or they might go to trial and the jury could refuse to convict him on one or all of the charges. I've seen a lot of people charged with serious crimes get "pled down" to lesser crimes because the DA didn't think they had the evidence or because it would be too much work to convict on the original charge.

Yeah, it pisses me off, too.

Jim

·
Banned
365 Posts
Question: Did any of the other officer's ask the arrested POS, "Are you stoned, stupid, or both" ?

P.S.: Keep these coming. I love "Humor in Uniform" by laiderj

1 - 9 of 9 Posts