Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by a new local Policeman last night because I had my 2 yr. old Grandson in the truck without a carseat. My Wife was holding him. I did everything according to the book. I kept my hands on the steering wheel where he could see them and waited until he walked up to the door and motioned for me to roll down the glass. He ask for my Ins. and Dr. License. After that he said "I see a clip in your door pocket, do you have a gun"?. I said yes I have a loaded gun on me, do you want to see my permit? He said no. He ask how far I was going and I told him from my Office to house, which is about 10 blocks. HE Said just drive careful. No warning or ticket. I told him I knew I was supposed to have a carseat but the Daughter forgot to leave one, which was true. He was young, very professional, and handled the job well. Its a shame there has to be a few bad apples in every profession that makes it hard on the good ones.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I guess I'm lucky to have made it to adulthood without benefit of carseats, seatbelts, and I'm even sure I gnawed on some toys with lead based paint on them.

Putting jesting aside, you did good with the encounter Calvin.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
There are those who would have corrected the officer that there was not a clip in your door pocket, but a magazine...and would have been reading the fine print on their ticket about now:D...you did good...and good to have a reload real handy, too!!!!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Top; I thought about the clip/magazine distinction too, but that might have been pushing the luck a bit!

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When he said clip I normally would have said something, but my better judgment told me that then wasn't the time to do it. I had both my Grandsons with me, and I think the 8yr old learned from it. I told him that the officer was doing his job when he stopped me and I Should have had his Brother in a car seat, but his Mother forget to leave it. The 8 yr. said the officer sure was nice to you. I told him that if you are nice to them and do what they ask, that most are nice. He was with his Daddy when he was arrested for passing counter fit money, which he had got at a car auction and was later cleared of, but the Grandson thought has Daddy shouldn't have been arrested.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Being a trucker I dealt with a lot of LEO's in my life. If you show them the respect their due they will return it. Jump out of the truck a cussing and acting a fool and they will draw the line real quick.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Glad it was a good contact. I still remember when ccw came to Texas and the media kept crying "blood in the streets". Funny how they have not come clean about that initial "analysis"

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Glad things worked out for you and the officer. The main thing all were safe and that is a good thing these days.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
sounds like a good stop, one question>?? how did he get in your truck far enought to look in your door pockets? isnt those down below you an the window?

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
quote:Originally posted by shaner

sounds like a good stop, one question>?? how did he get in your truck far enought to look in your door pockets? isnt those down below you an the window?
When he ask for Dr. License, I said I'll need to get out to get it out of my hip pocket. There was the Wife, I, and 8yr old Grandson setting in the seat, and the Wife was holding the 2yr old in her lap. Wasn't much extra room in a Ford Ranger. When I opened the door he could see it.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
You did exactly the right thing Calvin. Like everyone else has said, cops like to be treated with some respect. I hated writing tickets and there were only 2 times when I did - when the violation seriously endangered others safety and lives, or when the driver started running his mouth the minute I approached him.

Being polite and respectful doesn't always guarantee that you will avoid a ticket, but being a jerk always guarantees that you will get one.

I applaud the officer for noticing the magazine, asking about gun and then not making a big deal out of.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You did good, Calvin...as well, the LEO did good. I have always showed nothing but respect for LEO's. We do have a young one in our little town that is a smarta$$. He stopped me last year for 60 in a 45 on a back road. I admitted that I wasn't paying attention to my speed, and he was probably right. He ran my license, wrote me a ticket and told me "Well, we'll see if this little ticket for $186.00 can help you slow down." He was really arrogant. That is the first time I had been stopped by a LEO since 1976. I then told him that I had shown him respect, and that I expected the same in return and then told him to have a nice day. This kid was the same way when he was in high school. He really should not be in law inforcement.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I told a young smartass about 6 months after I quit that I'd trained officers who had more time on the street than he did and behaved better...either back up and correct his attitude or we'd finish our business in front of the Chief's desk....worked like flipping a switch and he apologized...didn't even write me for the red light I'd run...I hate attitude in an LEO....you should treat each person you deal with with your best manners and respect...unless and until they prove themselves unworthy of that...forget the last jerk you stopped...this guy could save your life someday...make a friend...and still get the job done....I've even had folks thank me for the ticket when I handed it to them...not often but several times...respect gets things done much better and the officer who can control his emotions, can control the situation!!!!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
the problem with some of the young one's is they ain't got their a** whipped yet--generally when that happens, the badge heavy---i'm bullet proof---attitude will disappear.....

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yup-that "Let ME tell YOU!!!" intro will get it done, too...they'll come on like that to the wrong one-and he'll shove it down their throat...and the change in attitude may save their life down the road...

·
Registered
401 Posts
A letter to the "Chief of Police" commending the young LEO's professionalism might be called for.

·
Registered
995 Posts
"A letter to the "Chief of Police" commending the young LEO's professionalism might be called for."

Absolutely, as my dept always said, "It take's 10 Attaboy's to erase 1 Oh ****"! So send along an Attaboy.
Dan'o :}

·
Registered
404 Posts
In the attaboy you might not want to include the part about the officer letting you go without a ticket when there was a clear violation of traffic law.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts