Ruger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was nosing around the gun department I happened to see that they had a display of percussion revolvers out on an end cap where everyone could fondle them.
One of those was the Pietta 1858 5 1/2" 44 that they are presently selling for $199.
Cabela's: Pietta Model 1858 New Army .44 Caliber Revolver
I was impressed with the fit and finish. I cocked the hammer back and lowered it a few times. It was very smooth and the hammer draw wasn't that heavy at all.
I'm tempted to get one or two of them since I am a 5 1/2" ROA short of having a pair.
Someone know off the top of their head... do those use .451 round ball?

·
Administrator
23,035 Posts
Follow your link and the first question asked to Cabelas was about the bullet moulds. They answered and said .451 would work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
451 may work and 454 may work even better. I have 451 and 454 balls for different guns.You may also find that the snugger fit of the 454 gives better velocity.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just bought the 1858 New Army 5.5" bbl from Cabelas online right before Christmas. They had them on sale for $169 and free shipping. It was backordered but I just got it yesterday. Fit and finish are fantastic. I have not shot it as of yet but the manual it came with says .454 round balls and #10 caps. I have both .454 and .451 so I'll try both. I also have a Ruger ROA 7.5" blue but that takes the .457 balls and as much powder you can cram in the cylinder. LOL. I won't be trying out the max loads in my new Italian job it can't be as strong as my Ruger

They do have a opentop revolver still onsale online I think the 1860 for $179.00 and $5.00 shipping. You may want to check it out. Cabelas.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts