Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 20 Magpul 30 round Pmags, 20 Ruger BX25 mags, 20 Glock 17 mags, 10 1911 mags, 10 Ruger Mark III mags, and a 10 other assorted magazines. Almost 100 magazines total.

I do not own a home, so I don't have room for a gun safe. I have been using cardboard boxes and plastic zip lock bags as temporary storage of all these mags. I want something better.

For those of you without a gun safe, how are you storing your mags and other firearm accessories?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
50 cal ammo can would be a good choice, there are other sizes/styles of military cases on Sportsman's Guide from time to time. And I'm sure there are other places. Cheaper than Dirt has a very good site, you can kinda get an idea of what's available from them.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I do not keep all of my mags in the the safe. The MKIII mags are in a Midway soft case along. The AR mags are in are a ammo can along with some of the ammo. My larger cal pistols are in hard cases and their mags are in with them.

MTM makes some nice "ammo can" cases that are waterproof. I use them for storing ammo. They have a gasket and can be locked.

Here is just one of the sizes:

Amazon.com: MTM Ammo Can (Forest Green): Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I don't think that you could call it a safe, but I have an eight gun cabinet with a single key that locks at the top, bottom, and side of the door. That's where I keep my ammo, fire safe (the little kind) for important papers, another locked cabinet inside keyed differently and a locked ammo can. Sitting on top of that cabinet is a sideways placed bigger fire safe (the kind you'd find at Wal-Mart). In it I have all my 4th of July cannon stuff. Hanging of the side of the cabinet is the mortar bed to hold all of my black powder noise makers and both the cabinet and mortar fire safe are bolted to each other and to the closet walls. Then by the bed I have a two drawer file cabinet that has three locks on it mainly for leather gear and gun boxes. Bolted to the top of the file cabinet is a bio-metrics pistol safe with a rack inside to hold six pistols and mounted on the inside of the door are my speed loaders held in place with magnetic hooks. My one auto has it's magazines slipped into a magnetic holder on the roof of the pistol safe. All sheet metal type of closures meant not to prevent, but deter a would be thief. Yet with the push of one button and my thumb and I have my choice of six loaded pistols to use in the house if need be. I use to rent as well and a few deck screws will lock down one of these cabinets, but can be removed and the small holes in the wall patched without the owner's knowledge. Smithy.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ammo cans. Why didn't I think of that? :D Thanks for the advice folks! Wow, I'm embarrassed haha. Magazines = ammo = ammo can. Duh.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I favor plastic containers for my .22 mags, which is all I have.

I found a Flambeau fishing utility box that holds six Mark III mags perfectly, and a Rubbermaid container that holds six 10/22 mags just right. I keep one mag in each gun, so that's seven apiece.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have a large toolbox for my AK mags and accessories. I have a smaller one for 10/22, 1911, XD, etc. mags and holsters. My (not saying how many) ammo boxes are filled with (not saying how much) ammo. I started shooting right at the height of the last shortage and stocked up when prices moderated. Of course, I just started handloading and now primers are in short supply. Go figure.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hear you j3rd. I went from preferring Federal Match primers to preferring any primers as opposed to no primers. It appears the great primer famine of 2009 will be overshadowed by the greater great primer famine of 2013.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I like Competitive Edge Dynamics (CED) magazine pouches that hold six each. Comes in two sizes for about $10 each. I have a dozen I think and all are very well made and hold the magazines securely.

Magazines being the lifeblood of a semi auto pistol, and becoming a valuable commodity pretty much, I store mine in my safe; they lie flat and stack well.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Magazines being the lifeblood of a semi auto pistol, and becoming a valuable commodity pretty much, I store mine in my safe; they lie flat and stack well.
I found this item in one of my Google searches and it looks to be a winner?

Universal Magazine Holder - EMF Company

A few of these guy's and you'd be fixed up for safe storage. (Put a gun on the shelf, Or buy another to fill the gaps). Smithy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts