Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen a thread like it and so thought perhaps we could have one where stories were placed here where people used firearms in their defense. I found some older accounts to share.

SIXTY-EIGHT-YEAR-OLD ARLINGTON, Texas, auto salesman and Korean War veteran Jappy J. Dickson had just gotten out of his car at a restaurant when an armed man approached him and demanded money. "He said, 'Give me all your money or I'll blow your head off,"' said Dickson. Feigning compliance, Dickson instead reached for the .38-cal. revolver for which he has a carry permit, saying, "Are you sure you want to go through with this?" With that, the cowardly assailant fled. (Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Fort Worth, Texas, 5/21/00)*

A WADE, MISS., FAMILY'S worst nightmares came true when a man arrived at their home, pointed a shotgun at the father and attempted to herd him, his wife and their child inside. The quickthinking couple fought back when the wife fled through another entrance and the husband ran to a bedroom to retrieve a gun. The intruder fled, but police soon apprehended the man on foot after an exchange of gunfire. The man was charged with three counts of attempted kidnaping. (The Mississippi Press, Pascagoula, Miss., 3/19/00)*

A MORENO VALLEY, CALIF., homeowner who encountered a stranger outside his residence was shocked when the man, clad in a black hooded sweatshirt and baggy pants, lifted his shirt displaying a butcher knife in his waistband. According to authorities, the homeowner ran for the security of the home, but was unable to shut the door before the stranger forced his way inside. As the resident clambered up a flight of stairs, the intruder on his heels, he managed to grab a handgun from a hall table. His tormentor fled at the sight of the gun. (The Press-Enterprise, Riverside, Calif., 5/18/00)*

A 65-YEAR-OLD newspaper delivery man was in his Oakland, Calif, garage preparing for his daily run when a i9-yearold armed ruffian suddenly came inside demanding money, according to police. The younger man apparently had not benefitted from the positive influence of his father's former position as an Oakland police officer and instead had chosen to make his living the "easy" way. His choice of victim was equally poor, however, because the elderly man was intent on selfdefense. The resident, gun to his head, quickly found himself backed against a workbench, but managed to retrieve his revolver from under a stack of papers. His single, fatal shot sent the attacker staggering outside and prompted two accomplices to flee the scene. The delivery man later told authorities that he feared for his life and for those of his grandchildren who were sleeping inside the home. (The Oakland Tribune, Oakland, Calif, 5/8/00)*

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FIVE-FOOT-FIVE-INCH Lilly Fu was working in her family's Queens, N.Y., cellular telephone store when, according to police, three men entered, announced a robbery and forced her into a back room. As they attempted to duct-tape Fu's hands and feet, the feisty merchant fought back, stabbing at the men with a pen. When they stole Fu's purse and attempted to flee, they were thwarted as Fu, now armed with a licensed gun, fired on them. A short time later, police found the getaway vehicle a few blocks away. One of Fu's assailants was slumped over the steering wheel with a fatal gunshot wound to the neck. (Newsday, Melville, N.Y., 5/25/00)*

A WHEELCHAIR-BOUND Vietnam War veteran was in his apartment early one morning when another man-apparently drunk and jealous about a mutual female friend-charged toward the apartment screaming obscenities and ultimately forcing his way inside. Meanwhile; the resident armed himself with a 9mm handgun. He was forced to use it only seconds later to defend his life as the home invader advanced toward him. The homeowner mortally wounded his attacker. A neighbor who witnessed the incident said of the invader, "This isn't the first time he's kicked the door in. I think he intended to really hurt [the resident] this time." (The News-Review, Roseburg, Ore., 6/2/00)*

MEDIA REPORTS of a dangerous fugitive were still fresh in the mind of a Mount Pleasant, Tenn., resident when he went to check on his dogs, which had suddenly begun barking. The man's worst fears were confirmed when he spotted a figure lurking nearby and recognized him as the person police were seeking. Fortunately, the property owner had first armed himself with a gun. "Basically, [the resident] subdued him until law enforcement arrived; said Monroe County Sheriff Doug Watson. The suspect was being sought in connection with the abduction and rape of a i9yearold woman the previous week. (NewsHerald, Lenoir City, Tenn., 5/3/00)*

Washougal, Washington, resident Gloria McCourt was working in her garden one evening as her 5-year-old daughter played nearby. Suddenly, a 250-pound bear emerged from the woods and fixed its gaze on the little girl. "I looked at that bear as it was looking at my baby, and something happened. I turned into the mamma bear," said McCourt. She was convinced the bruin posed an immediate threat and resolved to protect her family. Grabbing a .357 Mag. handgun, McCourt "got a bead on [the bear] and hit him in the neck." Then, with the assistance of two workers from a local fish hatchery, she trailed the animal into the woods. The posse soon found the beast expired. Captain Murray Schlenker of the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife later explained that, like most "nuisance" bears, the one McCourt dispatched was probably nosing around because it "had become addicted to garbage." (The Seattle Times, Seattle, WA, 5/4/00)*

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.kressworks.com/Politics/Gun_Control/dgu/defensive_gun_uses.html

0n the morning of September 3, 1998, Joseph Montgomery watched as two men entered his store. The 56-year-old owner of the store 500 Guns, located near the Indianapolis 500 Speedway, remembered them as having come in earlier.

The men walked to a glass case that held three shelves filled with handguns. "I want that one," said the taller of the two and pointed to a Smith & Wesson .38 revolver, which Montgomery reached down to remove from the display case. Montgomery later recalled that after his head came back up, one of them grabbed him by the neck as the other one stuck a 9x19 mm Ruger to his forehead. The man holding the gun said, "This is a stickup!"

Montgomery struggled to move away, but the man held him with a vicelike grip. The shop owner always carried a gun in a holster behind his back. He reached for the gun, a Heckler & Koch P-7, but the assailant who was choking him grabbed his hand. As they struggled for the gun, Montgomery felt his thumb being twisted, and grunted in pain as it snapped.

Suddenly, one of the robbers had the P-7. He stuck it in Montgomery's face and said, "Get on the floor!" Montgomery made up his mind that he was not going to lie helpless and let them put a bullet in the back of his head. He fought back as they tried to push him down.

During the struggle, the two men kept glancing at the plate-glass window near the door. If a customer walks in, Montgomery thought, he's dead. It was obvious that they had intended to quickly disable the businessman. They had not anticipated that he would fight back.

Unable to push Montgomery down, the robbers forced him to the rear of the store. One of the men pulled a knife. Before the robber could slash his throat, the shop owner grabbed the blade. He felt it slash his hand, and grimaced as he bled on the floor. The three men struggled past the storage room and into the private bathroom. That was as far as they could go.

Finally, the robbers wrestled Montgomery to the floor. The man with the P-7 held the shop owner at bay while the second man moved toward the camera high on the wall near the front door. As he attempted to remove the tape from the camera, he yelled, "Shoot him!" Montgomery recalled, "The first robber was trying to figure out how to use the P-7, which is the main reason I carry it. He was pointing it at me and squeezing the cocking lever, which is in front of the grip. He did it two or three times, and couldn't figure out how to shoot me with my own gun."

The robber glanced out the door, as if to ask his partner for help, and in that instant sealed his doom. Montgomery had prepared for just such an emergency. He'd hidden a Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum in the vanity beneath the sink. The distracted robber shook the P-7 as if trying to rattle it as the shop owner wrenched open the vanity and pulled out the spare gun.

The robber looked at him, his eyes widening. Montgomery aimed and pulled the trigger. "Click!"

The gun had misfired, but before the robber could take advantage of the misfire, Montgomery fired three quick rounds. The small space echoed with the gunshots. Three bullets hit the robber in the chest and he slammed backward, falling against the wall.

Now the shop owner struggled to his feet. Using a bookcase as a shield, he watched the second robber stuffing his belt with guns. When Montgomery stepped out from behind the bookcase, the robber looked up, his face twisted in amazement.

Montgomery could read his mind. "This guy's supposed to be dead," he thought. The robber ducked behind the counter about 25 feet away, then stood up and aimed his gun at Montgomery, who then fired twice.

The robber stood straight up. Swaying back and forth, he suddenly collapsed to the floor. He'd been hit in the forehead and the bullet had passed through his skull.

Montgomery suddenly felt drained. He staggered to the telephone and dialed 9-1-1. Responding officers found both robbers dead, with guns stuck in their belts. Investigators quickly determined that Montgomery had acted in self-defense.

It didn't take long to identify the robbers. An investigation into their backgrounds revealed that both had numerous convictions for possession of drugs, theft, receiving stolen property, and resisting arrest. One of the robbers was also wanted for violation of parole.

Montgomery later described the P7 that he used to thwart the robbers. "It's a semi-automatic 9x19 mm and you squeeze the front of the grip to cock the gun. Then it's ready to fire. As long as you keep on squeezing, it will keep firing, but the minute you release it, it's decocked and won't fire. It's a very safe gun, which is why I carried it. Most people can't figure it out if they're not familiar with it:"

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the morning of August 8, 1996, Clyde Bratcher was running late. He wheeled into the parking lot of the Midway Branch of the Bank of Clarkson, Kentucky, where he was manager. Walking quickly to the door with his keys in hand, he took time to survey the parking lot. Except for his car, it was empty. Checking the surrounding businesses, he spotted one car parked in the little strip mall across the street.

Bratcher entered the bank and began placing cash drawers at the teller stations. He later recalled, "I noticed that this vehicle was leaving the parking lot across the street and I watched it drive around behind the bank. As it passed the back window, I saw that the man driving the car wore rubber gloves:' It was the middle of summer, yet the driver also wore a heavy coat.

Knowing that something was very wrong, he walked over to his desk and picked up a .45caliber AMT Hardballer semiautomatic pistol. With the gun at his side, he then moved to the teller window, focusing on , the strange man outside. He watched the car circle the bank before pulling into the handicapped parking area within four feet of the front door.

Bratcher now had an unobstructed view of the car. The man stepped out, and Bratcher noticed that he wore a black stocking mask over his face. He reached into the car and pulled out a large caliber center-fire rifle.

The bank manager's heart was pumping. He didn't have time to call the police because the man was already at the door. Using the counter for cover, he readied himself. He clicked off the safety and hurriedly checked his gun.

Bratcher recalled, "The robber opened the door and looked in. He didn't come inside, but he was holding the rifle in his right hand and holding the door open with his left hand. When he saw me, he immediately aimed the rifle right at me:'

The bank manager had only a split second to react. Before the gunman could fire, Bratcher raised his .45 and squeezed the trigger. The concussion rocked the lobby. For a moment, everything seemed to slide into slow motion.

The robber lowered his gun and ~` backed out the door. Turning, he ran the four steps to his car. Just before he reached the door on the driver's side, his knees wobbled, and he fell.

In a recent interview, Bratcher recalled, "I went to the front door, opened it, and shot two of his tires out. The gunman was on the other side of the car, and I couldn't see him. I didn't know if he was hit or if he was hiding and waiting to shoot me:'

Bratcher's first shot went through both front tires, which went flat with a thump. His second shot hit the rim one inch above the left rear tire. Bratcher quickly moved back inside the bank and called 9-1-1. The first police car arrived within a minute.

Police identified the gunman as Robert Hazelwood. Bratcher's shot had hit him in the chest, killing him within seconds. Bratcher recalled, "The robber had put one bullet in his gun, but had more in his pocket. He'd watched me go into the bank, and I think if there had been more than one person in the bank, he would have put in more bullets. He had a bag on the seat and I think he wanted to kill me, then go get the bag, fill it with money, then leave before anyone else came:'

Police ruled that the shooting was justified.

Almost 50 years earlier, another Clyde Bratcher had foiled a bank robbery attempt. On the afternoon of January 6, 1958, the 70-year-old bank president was getting ready to close the Bank of Clarkson. Three men walked in and handed the elderly Bratcher a note demanding money. Bratcher reached into a drawer, pulled out his gun, also a .45-caliber semiautomatic, and fired. The robber who had passed the note fell to the floor, and began to crawl frantically toward the door.

Bratcher fired twice more, and one of the robbers returned fire before fleeing. None of the robbers were hit but, in their panic, they left an easy trail for police to follow. They were quickly caught, and sentenced to jail terms.

An investigation revealed that Bratcher's gun had misfired all three times. The robber's bullet had struck a wood counter in front of Bratcher. This particular bank president just so happened to be the grandfather of Clyde Bratcher.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I noticed that, in two of these accounts, the good guy's gun misfired...we gotta be serious about our equipment...good guns, good ammo...practice and plan...sometimes a click is the loudest sound you'll ever hear...sometimes it's the last....let the BGs go click!!!!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
its expencive but I replace my carry ammo once a year, to defan the cost I save my change all year long and that pays for it and gives me a little mad money to boot.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some more incidents...

Edwin "Mac" MacDonald awoke at midnight on January 27, 1996.

'As his eyes adjusted to the darkness, he saw a shadow moving across his room. The 73-year-old horse trainer lived alone in a small home near Williston, Florida. His nearest neighbor was a mile away, and the intruder was moving toward his bed.

MacDonald's mind flashed back to the time 12 years before when he was robbed at his home. Two intruders held a shotgun to his head and stole a large amount of cash. They'd never been caught. Shortly after that robbery, he bought a pistol for self-protection.

Now, standing over MacDonald, the intruder shouted, "Give me some money!"

The homeowner fished for the Taurus .22-caliber revolver beneath his pillow. In the darkness, he was able to make out the features of the stranger, a thin man with long hair who wore black gloves.

The man spoke again. "Where do you keep your money?" he demanded.

When MacDonald didn't answer, the intruder turned and began to rummage through a chest of drawers. He emptied each drawer, dumping the contents on the floor.

MacDonald then jumped out of bed and pointed his gun at the man. "Get out of here!" he yelled.

The intruder hesitated, then darted from the room. MacDonald breathed a sigh of relief. He turned on the light in the hall and planned to walk to his telephone in the kitchen and call the police.

As he stepped from his bedroom, the intruder suddenly appeared before him. He hadn't left after all. The man brandished a lamp now, which MacDonald recognized as a table lamp from his living room.

"Get out of here!" MacDonald repeated.

The intruder heaved the lamp at the homeowner. It missed, and shattered against the wall. MacDonald pointed his gun toward the ceiling and fired. He didn't want to have to kill the man. He just wanted him to leave.

The intruder laughed. "You're shooting blanks," he said. The laughter frightened the homeowner even more, and he feared that the man was on drugs.

The stranger reached into his pocket and pulled out a paring knife. Still laughing, he held it to the light as MacDonald began to back-pedal into his bedroom.

The stranger followed, swishing the knife back and forth. He suddenly slashed at MacDonald, who felt the blade cut his arm.

"Get out or I'll shoot!" MacDonald yelled. The man continued to advance. By now, MacDonald had nowhere else to go as his back was against his bedroom wall. The intrudersuddenly lunged toward him. MacDonald aimed at the man's chest and fired

.The sound shook the little room, then there was silence as MacDonald watched the assailant turn and stumble out of the room. The homeowner cautiously made his way to the kitchen to call the police, but when he picked up the receiver, it was dead.

MacDonald ran outside, jumped into his car, and drove to the Williston Police Department.

At 1:20 a.m., the first police officer arrived at MacDonald's home. He found the intruder lying face-down in the front yard. Rolling him over, the officer discovered two holes in his chest. There was little bleeding, and no pulse. Soon MacDonald's yard was full of police cars, fire-rescue trucks and ambulances. Blue and red lights spun against the house.

Investigators found the scene exactly as the homeowner had described. The telephone line had been cut. The front door window was broken, and a screen had been pulled back. Inside the house, shards of glass from a broken table lamp were scattered across the floor in the hallway.

Police suspected that two accomplices had driven the man to MacDonald's home and waited outside. They soon found that they were correct in their assumption. The suspects chose the isolated home because it appeared to be an easy target. When they saw their accomplice, the home invader, stumble outside and fall to the ground, they fled. The trio was suspected of several other home invasions in the area.

A grand jury convened on March 28, 1996. Following the recommendation of the district attorney, they did not indict MacDonald, citing selfdefense and ruling the case "justifiable homicide:"

The horse trainer was puzzled about how his first shot hit the suspect. He had aimed "high" in an attempt to frighten the intruder so he'd leave the house. Detectives speculated that the gun must have fired as he was raising it to the ceiling, hitting the suspect on the way up.

"It's very disturbing," MacDonald recalled. "It's something you can't explain. It's a feeling I'll probably carry with me the rest of my life. But when they come at you with a knife, it's a little bit hard to look the other way. He had all the opportunity to leave. There was nothing I could do except what I did."

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In September, 1996, spree killer Jerry Hessler was sentenced to death for the murders of four people. His death toll could easily have been 20 or more had not an armed citizen stopped his murderous rampage.

On November 19, 1995, Brian and Tracey Stevens and their infant daughter were shot to death in their home. Two others in the home were wounded but survived the attack. The Stevens had worked with Hessler at Bank One near Columbus, Ohio, but Hessler had been fired for sexually harassing several female coworkers, including Tracey Stevens.

Hessler, armed with a 9mm Lugercaliber semi-automatic pistol and wearing a bullet-proof vest, had decided to kill everyone whom he felt was responsible for his sad, shattered life. After murdering the Stevens family, he drove to his former supervisor's house and shot him.

The supervisor survived the attack, but was permanently disabled.

Hesslerthen drove to Worthington, Ohio, and shot and killed Thane Griffin, the father of a woman who had once rejected him.

Driving north to Ashland, Ohio, Hessler checked the list of people he intended to kill. There were still eight names on the list.

Doug and Judy Stanton were next. It was 10:05 Sunday night when the Stantons received two calls warning them that Hessler was on a killing rampage, and that they might be next. Judy Stanton had dated Hessler when they were both in college, but she quickly broke off the relationship, married Doug Stanton, and now had four children. Hessler blamed her rejection of him for ruining his life and had stalked the Stantons off and on throughout their marriage.

Doug grabbed two handguns as Judy herded the children into the kitchen. They planned to flee to a safe house already prepared for them.

Doug turned out all the lights in the house, turned to Judy and said, "Stay in the house for 15 seconds to make sure everything's clear:"

When he stepped out on the porch, he saw Jerry Hessler coming up the back steps. The disturbed man wore a trench coat and held a gun in his hand.

Doug darted back into the house and ordered Judy and the children to lie face-down on the floor.

Then he knelt behind the refrigerator, using it for cover.

Hessler fired three rounds into the door, then kicked it open. He suddenly burst inside and began firing again. The bullets blazed within inches of Judy and the children.

Doug, using the handle of the refrigerator to steady his aim, shot back. The first shots from his Colt.45 Model 1911 were high and wide, so he adjusted his aim. One of his bullets found its mark, and Hessler staggered backward. He fell off the porch, then lurched to his feet and backed away to his car.

Doug made sure that his family was safe, said a quick prayer, then called 9-1-1. A few minutes later, Hessler was arrested. Investigating officers reported that during the gunfight, Hessler had fired 11 rounds and Stanton had fired seven.

Hessler's hit-list was eventually published. Most of the names on the list were his former co-workers at Bank One. Hessler currently sits on Ohio's death row, awaiting execution. Doug Stanton later stated, "Some people are quick to espouse the virtues of gun restrictions, saying that if just one life is saved, it will be worth it. But because the Stanton family had a gun, six lives were saved. Had there been restrictions on gun ownership, the Stantons would be dead. This is a fact-not a hypothetical situation:"

Doug Stanton was being modest. In addition to saving the lives of his family, he saved the lives of many other potential victims.

And only the local media carried the story.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At 5:15 p.m., December 26, 1998, Mary Lou Krause sat at the kitchen table in her singlestory brick house in Swanton, Ohio. Her husband, Jerry, was at the stove cooking dinner. Mary Lou glanced up from the table and saw someone move past the picture window. She told her husband that a person she didn't know was at the back door.

In a recent interview, Mary Lou recalled, "We have this plan that if someone comes to the door, I get the gun" Mrs. Krause went into the bedroom and retrieved her Astra .22-caliber revolver. Then she moved back into the kitchen and stood a few feet from the door, out of sight of the man on the porch.

The man asked Jerry directions to the local Masonic Lodge. This was not unusual as they lived near a major highway and people often stopped to ask for help if theircar broke down or if they needed directions. Jerry opened the door, and began to explain how to get to the lodge.

Mary Lou remembered, "The next thing I heard was a voice saying, 'Let's all go inside.' This was a big, loud, booming voice. The next thing I saw was this arm coming through the door with a big gun."

Suddenly, Jerry Krause was struggling for his very life.

A second man had come up from behind and began to force Jerry into the kitchen, but the retired masonry foreman was having none of it. The homeowner fought back. As the battle raged in the doorway, Mary Lou maneuvered herself so that she could shoot without hitting her husband. The man with the gun saw her and simultaneously raised his gun to fire.

Mary Lou recalled, "I stepped out from behind the door and fired. I hit him in the arm and he immediately returned fire. His bullet grazed my hip."

The assailants panicked and ran.

Mary Lou explained that as the first man reached the gate, he turned around and fired again. The bullet hit the house and ricocheted into the screen door. Fortunately, by that time Mary Lou had slammed the door shut, so the bullet didn't hit her or her husband.

The homeowners both dropped to the floor and crawled into the kitchen. Jerry Krause pulled the drapes on the big window, then retrieved his gun. Jerry then ran to the telephone and dialed 9-1-1 while Mary Lou stood guard.

"It happened so fast you just had to go on instinct," Mary Lou said. "When the first man knocked on the back door, the second man went around to the front of the house and tried to open the front door which we always keep locked. Then he went all the way back around the house and jumped on my husband's back. The assailants were trying to wrestle him into the back door."

The sheriff's department arrived a few minutes after the suspects fled. Deputies circled the house and called out police dogs in an attempt to track down the suspects.

"The sheriff's department did an excellent job," Mary Lou said.

An ambulance transported Mary Lou to the hospital where her flesh wound was treated and bandaged. She returned home later that night.

The next afternoon the first suspect, Christopher Matthews, appeared at a Toledo, Ohio hospital with a bullet wound in his arm. He was arrested and charged with aggravated assault and attempted first-degree murder. He later plea-bargained his sentence to five years in prison.

Mary Lou Krause is still upset by the lenient sentence. "He tried to kill us," she said. "Another half-inch and I'd have been dead."

The second suspect, whose name is known to police, is still at large.

Mary Lou thinks their plan was what saved the lives of her and her husband. The nearly 70 year-old couple explained that their house is semi-isolated, so they make sure they take care of themselves.

"The best way I know to do that," said Mary Ann, "is to have a gun and know how to use it.

I would like people to have a selfprotection plan. If I only save one person, it'll be worth it. When people knock on the door, I look out this picture window. If I know them, I let them in. If I don't know them, I get my gun and stand behind the door so they can't see me and I let my husband talk to them. I'm ready if needed."

"A handgun is a necessity for everybody;" she continued. "I wouldn't feel safe without one. The government shouldn't ban handguns:"

Sheriff Jim Telb called Mary Lou Krause's actions heroic. "She was protecting her home," he said. "She was absolutely correct in defending herself."

Mary Lou has made only one change in her plan. Now, instead of a .22-caliber pistol, she has a .38 Special "It makes bigger holes," she said.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A disabled man and a legally blind woman were in their Kalama, Washington, home one Friday afternoon when a 31-year-old man who was visiting friends next door forced his way into their residence and jerked the man to the floor. About to punch his helpless victim, the invader was distracted by the woman who pulled on him from behind. As the suspect slammed the woman against a wall, the other resident managed to grab a gun and force his assailant out of the home. The perpetrator later reportedly admitted to the crime and could not give a reason for his actions other than to say he'd had a bad couple of days. (The Daily News, Longview, WA, 5/1/99)*

When a gun-wielding man entered a Phillips 66 store in South Bend, Indiana, intent on robbing the establishment, he became frustrated and fled empty-handed after failing to get the cash drawer open. Unfortunately, the clerk he assaulted in the process was unaware that the "gun" was a water pistol. A nearby armed citizen who saw the entire incident unfold grabbed his real, licensed handgun and gave chase down an alley, catching the perpetrator and holding him until police arrived. (South Bend Tribune, South Bend, IN, 3/3/99)*

For reasons that may never be known, John Michael Levi turned on his White Post, Virginia, neighbors one day in a rampage that jeopardized the lives of a couple and their three children. The mother had already compiled for police a 19page typed log chronicling Levi's offenses, which included minor acts of vandalism. The situation instantly turned grave, however, one Sunday night when Levi entered the family's home with a sawedoff shotgun and a pistol threatening to kill everyone. As the mother and two daughters ran upstairs to escape onto the roof, the 15-year-old son and his father scrambled to load the family gun. Levi pursued the father up the stairs, reportedly declaring, "It's time to die."The father finally ended the confrontation with a deadly shot of his own. (The Winchester Star, Winchester, VA, 3/2/99)*

Three people armed with a handgun entered the rural, south central Kentucky home of Harold Clontz early one morning and proceeded to club the 55-year-old, duct-tape his hands and steal several hundred dollars from his wallet, according to authorities. What the trio hadn't counted on was that another man who lived with Clontz was in a back bedroom at the time of the invasion, and was himself armedwith a 12 ga. shotgun. "He heard the commotion and came out and commenced firing," said Laurel county Sheriff Gene Hollon. When the smoke cleared, one of the intruders was dead, another was in critical condition and the third fled only to be caught by police later the same day. (Lexington Herald-Leader, Lexington, KY, 4/20/99)*

Florida neighbors Art Terry and Donald Thweatt, both 53, knew they couldn't beat the three suspected auto thieves in a foot race, but both had Glock pistols and were confident they could handle a violent confrontation. While talking outside their homes before midnight one Tuesday, they responded to the sound of an alarm at a nearby car lot. After giving chase, the pair confronted three boys who had hopped in a stolen van. When police arrived, the suspects were "laid out like dogs," said Terry. The men planned to donate a $100 reward in the case to the NRA. (The Tampa Tribune, Tampa, FL, 4/27/99)*

James Rowlan, 70, of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, had just finished taking a shower one evening and his wife, Fannie, was following suit when someone rang the front doorbell and knocked loudly. Rowlan went to check and met a youth poking his head inside to survey the home and asking if "Mike" lived there. Before Rowlan had time to let his suspicions turn to warnings, the armed youth and an accomplice broke the storm door lock and barged inside. That's when Rowlan instructed his wife to barricade herself in the bathroom and pretended to watch helplessly as the robbers ransacked the couple's bedroom. Little did they know Rowlan had inched toward the nightstand where he kept a gun for protection. "Their gun was much smaller. So they were scared off by my husband's gun," said Fannie Rowlan after the ordeal. The two thugs "took off so fast they broke the chain on the storm door," said James Rowlan. (The Daily Oklahoman, Oklahoma City, OK, 3/26/99)*

When 71-year-old Edith Ledbetter woke to noises in her Slapout, Alabama, home early one Saturday, she retrieved a .410bore shotgun from her bedroom and fired once at an intruder. The shot found its target, striking the man in the neck and ending the home invasion. "This is one lady who decided not to be a victim," said Elmore County Sheriff Bill Franklin. "She was protecting herself and her home." (Montgomery Advertiser, Montgomery, AL, 5/12/99)*

The manager of a Farmington Hills, Michigan, motel and his fiancee were in a bedroom early one Sunday morning when a man came inside, threatened the pair and attacked the woman with a hammer. The manager was able to halt the potentially deadly attack with three shots from a .357 Mag, sending the intruder to the hospital in critical condition. (The Detroit News, Detroit, MI, 5/10/99)*

Steve Webb, owner of Beaverdam Quick Stop country store in Hanover, Virginia, was faced with every proprietor's nightmare: an armed, would-be crook demanding money from the till. This time, though, the bad guy was quickly outmatched. Webb's .45-cal. semiautomatic easily trumped the ne'er-dowell's squirt pistol. When police arrived, they found the suspect-squirt gun nearbyrelieved to see them. "I don't think he blinked the whole 10 minutes he was on the floor," while being held at bay, said Pat Webb, the store owner's wife. (The Courier-Tribune, Asheboro, NC, 4/12/99)*

Jeff Grenfell was playing a video game in his Billings, Montana, home with his neighbor and his neighbor's son one Saturday evening when two men rang the doorbell. When Grenfell answered, the pair pushed their way inside and began physically attacking Grenfell throughout the house. Backed against a workbench, Grenfell managed to get his hand on a screwdriver with which he stabbed one of the invaders. Both men fled, whereupon a neighbor, waiting with a .44 Mag. handgun, detained them until police arrived. (Billings Gazette, Billings, MT, 12/13/98)*

1 - 10 of 10 Posts