Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok maybe technically this should go in the knives subforum, but i don't really think so, since it's more sociological than metallurgical.

so the question is: how many of you out there own and use/have used a straight razor?

my maternal grandfather (who i REALLY wish i had known-- he died decades before i was born) was a classic American success story. he was born in 1895, orphaned by the age of ten, went to work in a shirt factory as a child in baltimore, and owned his own shirt factory by the time he was about my age. but before he owned the factory, he worked as a barber for several years to make ends meet. somewhere in storage i have stuff i inherited from my Mom such as his leather strop. i also have here in my house the shaving mug he used with his monogram on it. alas, the only straight edge razors i own were not his, but razors i picked up here and there from estate sales, etc.

anybody out there collect this sort of stuff, use these, like the whole milieu?

p.s. i've only had one straight razor shave in my life from an old german barber in bismarck, ND. great guy named paul mueller, who was ships barber on a german ocean liner that got captured by the u.s. navy. he was sent to a detention center and eventually joined the u.s. army to fight nazi germany. lived out his days in peace in bismarck, with an 'old guy' barbershop in the basement of the old downtown hotel.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I have a WWII British shaving kit with a straight razer but its only part of my WWII collection and I don't collect razers per say. Sounds like a neat thing to collect.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a WWII British shaving kit with a straight razer but its only part of my WWII collection and I don't collect razers per say. Sounds like a neat thing to collect.
yeah, i think so, too, especially with some family history around them, but frankly i'm scared to use them, never having been trained how to do it.

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
I'm on a blood thinner so I don't go near them. If the barber shop shaves around the ears I tell them no thanks. I do shave with a 3 blade but that stays under control.

The old razors are really special as they were made by craftsmen that took pride in their work.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have 8 different straight razors. Mostly German and US made, with one Czech str8.
All are old, except for the German Dovo I bought new, this year.
I shave with all of them. I also shave with old single edge (Gem and Autostrop), double edge (Gillette and similar), and Injector razors.
I quit using 2, 3, 4, and 5 blade cartridge razors almost 3 years ago, and don't miss them at all.
The ONLY cartridge razor I EVER use now, is the 1984 Gillette Atra that I keep in the shower for those days when I don't have time for a great shave.
I also , don't use canned shave goo. I use mug shave soap, shaving sticks, and shaving cream in a tube, with boar and badger shaving brushes.

I'll never go back to "modern" shaving razors and creams.
Except for new production double edge safety razors.
Merkur and Muhle/Edwin Jagger make some really nice DEs.

I got tired of razor burn/rash, ingrown hairs, and poor shaves. When I shaved with cartridge junk and canned goo, I could only shave once every 3 days.
Now, I shave every day, and my face is as smooth as a baby's bum.

There is a learning curve with SE/DE/Injector safety razors, but they don't take long to learn how to use. Use no pressure, and let the weight of the razor/sharpness of the blade do the work for you.
There is more of a learning curve to using a straight, but I've only gotten small cuts/nicks with my str8s.
I have had some serious gouges/skin grafts taken out of my face with Mach 3/Quattro/FUsion.

Plus, my DE razor blades are $15.00 or LESS per 100 blades.
Compare that to about $30 for a pack of 6 or 8 FUsion cartridges.
I get a full year's worth of shaves from 100 DE blades.

There's something about shaving with a razor that's older than my dad, and getting a better shave than my dad gets with his new FUsion.

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
I've always wanted to shave with a straight razor, but I'm afraid I'll slit my own throat.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I'm on a blood thinner so I don't go near them. If the barber shop shaves around the ears I tell them no thanks. I do shave with a 3 blade but that stays under control.

The old razors are really special as they were made by craftsmen that took pride in their work.
I don't think they can do that anymore because they can't sterilize the blades.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have 8 different straight razors. Mostly German and US made, with one Czech str8.
All are old, except for the German Dovo I bought new, this year.
I shave with all of them. I also shave with old single edge (Gem and Autostrop), double edge (Gillette and similar), and Injector razors.
I quit using 2, 3, 4, and 5 blade cartridge razors almost 3 years ago, and don't miss them at all.
The ONLY cartridge razor I EVER use now, is the 1984 Gillette Atra that I keep in the shower for those days when I don't have time for a great shave.
I also , don't use canned shave goo. I use mug shave soap, shaving sticks, and shaving cream in a tube, with boar and badger shaving brushes.

I'll never go back to "modern" shaving razors and creams.
Except for new production double edge safety razors.
Merkur and Muhle/Edwin Jagger make some really nice DEs.

I got tired of razor burn/rash, ingrown hairs, and poor shaves. When I shaved with cartridge junk and canned goo, I could only shave once every 3 days.
Now, I shave every day, and my face is as smooth as a baby's bum.

There is a learning curve with SE/DE/Injector safety razors, but they don't take long to learn how to use. Use no pressure, and let the weight of the razor/sharpness of the blade do the work for you.
There is more of a learning curve to using a straight, but I've only gotten small cuts/nicks with my str8s.
I have had some serious gouges/skin grafts taken out of my face with Mach 3/Quattro/FUsion.

Plus, my DE razor blades are $15.00 or LESS per 100 blades.
Compare that to about $30 for a pack of 6 or 8 FUsion cartridges.
I get a full year's worth of shaves from 100 DE blades.

There's something about shaving with a razor that's older than my dad, and getting a better shave than my dad gets with his new FUsion.
i've gotten lazy recently and have been shaving with cheap disposable junk, but for a number of years shaved with a double-edged safety razor and the brush and soap cake. loved that! only thing that made that 5-10 minutes of time worth it in the morning! i'm eager to try the straight edges, but again, without some training, i'm a little dubious about it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I too shave "old fashioned". I have 3 Badger and 2 Boar brushes, 3 old (newest 1949) Gillette DE razors, 2 1956 Shick Injector razors, a 1963 Shick Krona DE and a mid 1930s Gem Micromatic. And a 2009 Parker DE. 5 different shave mugs with a different soap in each.

My favorite combo right now is a Schick Injector with a Personna 74 blade that I found NOS, 55 blades for $50 + $5 shipping. But each blade is good for 25 to 30 DFS (Dang Fine Shave) uses. These blades made in the 1970s. I bought 200 Voskhod (St. Petersburg, Russia) DE blades for $20 and good for 3DFS each. DE blades, Feather, Japanese, are by far the sharpest. Also the most expensive at around $0.50 each and only good for maybe 4 uses. But I have 94 of them so I'm set there.

Basically, I am set for DE and SE shaving, including soaps and aftershaves, for at least the next 5 years. But STRAIGHTS!! No Way. My Father did not use them and I have never held one much less used one. So I will stick to "Safety Razors". Cartridge? Get real, they cause a lot mjore damage to the face. I'll stick to single blade shaves thank you. Especially at my age. (70+)

·
Registered
340 Posts
A few of us at work have talked about using safety razors (one guy does now) but I have not tried one yet, I hope to when life slows down a little and I can enjoy a good shave.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I have a Boker that belonged to my great-grandfather, which would put it around the WW1 era. Black celluloid handle with a white spacer.

I don't use it, just keep it as a momento. Strictly Norelco for me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
When I retired four years ago, I took on the challenge of learning to shave with a straight razor. I loved it. I can get a much closer shave. The whole process of whipping up the shaving cream into a rich lather, soaking the face, feeling a dangerously sharp blade on the face, and the rich smell of a great aftershave is a great way to start the morning.

I began collecting straight razors and now have 35 razors that I use in rotation; 10 new and 25 vintage. Each razor has a totally unique feel in the hand and on the face. It has become a great hobby.

Straight Razors:
USA:
1. 5/8 W. R. Case Red Imp 132
2. 11/16 W. R. Case Red Imp 133
3. 6/8 J. R. Torrey
4. 5/8 Sears Sta-Sharp
5. 4/8 Union Cutlery "Spike"
6. 5/8 Union Cutlery "Spike" - Green Scales
7. 4/8 Union Cutlery "Spike" - Green Scales with Gold Spike

ENGLAND:
8. 6/8 Wade and Butcher "The Celebrated"
9. 5/8 Geo. Wostenholm "Original Pipe Razor"

GERMANY:
10. 5/8 H. Boker & Co. "Extra Hollow Ground"
11. 11/16 J. A. Henckels Twinworks 410
12. 13/16 J. A. Henckels Zwillingswerk 72 1/2
13. 11/16 D. O. & H. "Clean Cut"
14. 5/8 dubl duck Goldedge (Bresduck)
15. 9/16 dubl duck Special No 1 (Pearlduck)

NEW:
(USA)
16. 6/8 Hart Steel (Satin)
17. 6/8 Hart Steel (Polished)
(GERMANY)
18. 5/8 Dovo "en vogue No. 105" - Black Micarta (I)
19. 5/8 Dovo "en vogue No. 105" - Black Micarta (II)
20. 5/8 Dovo "Prima Klang"
21. 5/8 Revisor Solingen Extra (5-0003)
22. 5/8 Revisor Solingen Extra (5-0004)
23. 6/8 Revisor Prima Solingen (6-0029)
(FRANCE)
24. 6/8 Thiers-Issard Le Grelot (I)
25. 6/8 Thiers-Issard Le Grelot (II)

SWEDEN:
26. 6/8 Heljestrand No. 6
27. 9/16 Heljestrand MK 24
28. 4/8 Strega 852 - Eskilstuna Sweden (WWII) (NOS)

FRANCE:
29. 6/8 Thiers-Issard, Medaille d'Argent, 1931, 69 Garanti
30. 4/8 Le Grelot P-Hospital (NOS)
31. 5/8 Le Grelot P-Hospital, Medaille d'or Paris, 1931
32. 5/8 Le Grelot Universal Cutlery New York 150 (I)
33. 5/8 Le Grelot Universal Cutlery New York 150 (II)

SPAIN
34. 5/8 Filarmonica Doble Temple 12 (NOS)
35. 4/8 Filarmonica Inox 10 (NOS)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts