Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my newly acquired OMBH out to the range yesterday and used some loads consisting of the Oregon Trail 158gr SWC over 6.5 grains of Bullseye. That's a half grain below max in the Lyman book. Velocity is 1212fps, which is above Lyman, but I find that their velocities always seem low.

I shot five into the berm since the gun was clean, then five on paper at 25 yards. Those are the five below the bullseye.:( About 3.5". Not very impressive. So I moved the sights and shot five more. One flyer up top and four in the bull. Hmmm, what a difference. Then I shot four more and they went in the bull. Wondering if I may have a bad chamber I left the four empties in the gun and loaded two more. They went in the bull. Things are looking good, ten out of eleven in 2.5".:) I am happy since I didn't tailor this load to the gun but used what I had on hand. The strange part is the first five shots.

Now I could use some advice from you more experienced people. The cases came out without difficulty. Primers were impressed with the recoil shield marks as most are. When I got home I popped some primers out and they were just starting to mushroom but not badly. Is the pressure too high[?]

Jay

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
yep one of the very first signs of high pressure, back off the power 5% or so and see how it does thewn.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I may be "OLD SCHOOL", but I don't think Bullseye is THE powder for the .357 or larger cases. You're getting good accuracy, but high pressure with a case that's about 1/2 full. B/E is economical, I love it in auto's. Just a friendly reminder about DOUBLE-CHARGES

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with you 2Late about Bullseye. According to Lyman that charge should have been much slower than what I got. I was looking for a somewhat mild magnum.

And you're right about the double charge. I load most ammo on a 550 and I got an idea from here, maybe Iowegan, about using a light over the plate to see into the case after charging. I use a AA snake light for that and look into most cases when using light powder charges. And just to be cautious I usually pull a case out every fifteen to twenty rounds and weigh the charge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts