Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile ago I bought a 525 Value Pack of Federal Champion .22lr ammo. Its the bulk copper washed hp's in the blue box. It was shooting well. I noticed it was clean and shiny on the outside, seemed to burn cleanly and my rifles were cycling it perfectly.

Recently an LGS had some blue 40 round boxes of Federal Champion on sale, and I bought the three they had left. This was packed in little racks in the boxes, not loose like the bulk ammo. I thought it was the same ammo, though, so I emptied the boxes and dumped it into the bulk box.

Well, I started noticing some jams every few rounds. I was curious about what was happening. My rifle was clean and was operating correctly. 100 lead round nose Blazers went through without a hiccup.

Went back and looked in the bulk box. The ammo I bought i. The small boxes is different than the bulk. The bullets are tarnished, marred up and many of them are loose in the brass. Not only that, but the bullets are a slightly different shape, pointier, than the bulk ones which are more round nosed.

This is weird. The bulk ammo is not only a completely different product, but it is also better.I wonder why Federal is doing this?

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I too have had good results with the 525 Value Pack Federal Champion 36 grain rounds. So good that today I picked up two more cartons at Bass Pro.

The other ammo from Federal must be factory seconds or come from some other production line.

Last week I was at the range and a nice young guy was having fits with his semi-auto 22pistol. Talking to him he related that it only shoots well with CCI ammo and he couldn't find any at Walmart so he bought these small boxes of Federal... same stuff you describes.

Hating to see his range time ruined I gave him a box of CCI ammo from my stash. He was thrilled to get it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have fired 750 rds of CCI-Blazer, 555 rds of Winchester Bulk & 550 rds of Federal Bulk and I have not had one problem so far. Each and every round has gone down the barrel. My SR22-CT has been fantastic and I have only had it about 6 wks.
I think I'll keep it..

·
Registered
403 Posts
My daughter and I when through 3 of the Federal 525 Value Packs with her 10/22. No problems here.
For some reason her 10/22 likes the Winchester 555 packs better. More accurate.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My daughter and I when through 3 of the Federal 525 Value Packs with her 10/22. No problems here.
For some reason her 10/22 likes the Winchester 555 packs better. More accurate.
Again, I'm not having any problem with the 525 value pack rounds. It's the more expensive 40 round boxes of what I thought was the same stuff that's causing trouble.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Like all 22"s.....whether rifle, semi-auto, revolver, pump rifle, lever rifle, single shot they all like different ammo. I don't buy bulk. I do have several 500 rd bricks from many different manufacturers. When I acquire a new 22 lr I take one box from several different brands and go to the bench to see what my 22 likes best. I learned this 40 years ago and it has served me well since.

·
Registered
17,109 Posts
I found a .25ACP in my box of Federals last week.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I recently picked up 2100 rounds from Cabelas. Since I had no issues with them and they fire accurately to this day. I have had issues with Winchester 555 bulk, along with a buddy of mine where the shots don't land where we want them to, discovered this when we had to adjust our scopes so many times.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
l have gone through several thousand rounds of Federal Bulk Champion without a problem and recently bought a second "Dry Box" from Cabelas. I just checked my stash of 22s and found 5, 100 round boxes of Federal Target standard velocity. I haven't shot any of those yet, but will check and see if they will fire in my 10/22s and Mk III.

I shoot Federal because of good results compared with bricks of Winchester accumulate over the years.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Came across this old thread I started in fall of 2012.

Wow. Almost four years later, and you still can't go to a store and expect to find a brick of your favorite bulk .22LR.

Back when I first posted this, I could go to Academy and there would be four or five different brands available in bricks. Usually one would be on sale that week for about $19.99. And people complained about the high prices.

A large local sporting goods store in town had bricks of American Eagle for $14.88 apiece. I still have four of them, but I should have bought 100 or so.

Sometimes we don't know when we have it good.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
ditto1958
We went to the local's and was surprised to see all of the 22 ammo that They had, picked up a lot. Told the Guy what we wanted and he just gave me the Old Ooska Ooska Look and said OK. Told him this is the most that you have had in here in 5 years. He said Yeah, I know. Plus it was on Sale. Not just one type all of it with No Limit.
I'm a Happy Camper to say the least.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I was able to order a bucket of 1400 rounds of Rem. Golden Bullets a couple of days ago from Cabelas. They are one their way to my local Cabelas store.
About 4 minutes after I ordered, the website should out of stock.

At one point last Summer, they actually had a few of the same buckets in the store. I was able to get one.

Very, very few .22lr bricks are ever in the stores in my area. There is almost always stuff on the shelf, prices are higher than before and the brands names are European.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was able to order a bucket of 1400 rounds of Rem. Golden Bullets a couple of days ago from Cabelas. They are one their way to my local Cabelas store.
About 4 minutes after I ordered, the website should out of stock.

At one point last Summer, they actually had a few of the same buckets in the store. I was able to get one.

Very, very few .22lr bricks are ever in the stores in my area. There is almost always stuff on the shelf, prices are higher than before and the brands names are European.
22LR in stores has gradually gotten more prevalent. Still, it's almost four years, and it's still nowhere near "normal."

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
22LR in stores has gradually gotten more prevalent. Still, it's almost four years, and it's still nowhere near "normal."
Very True.

I used to be able to get Federal Champion bricks like you mentioned at my local Wally World any time of the day or night. They haven't had .22lr ammo for a year or so.

Virtually all my ammo comes from Cabelas (about 10 miles away). Even then I usually end up ordering it online and having it drop shipped for free.

I have boxes of CCI MiniMags with the original price sticker that showed a 1.7 cents a round cost. Purchased in early 1970's.

I even have some Federal bulk stuff at 3 cents a round. I paid about 6 cents a round for the Golden bullets.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Came across this old thread I started in fall of 2012.

Wow. Almost four years later, and you still can't go to a store and expect to find a brick of your favorite bulk .22LR.

Back when I first posted this, I could go to Academy and there would be four or five different brands available in bricks. Usually one would be on sale that week for about $19.99. And people complained about the high prices.

A large local sporting goods store in town had bricks of American Eagle for $14.88 apiece. I still have four of them, but I should have bought 100 or so.

Sometimes we don't know when we have it good.
The ammo gods must have heard me. :) Yesterday Cabela's had Value Packs. Miracle of miracles. I ordered one. Would've ordered two, but I don't really "need" them, so I thought I'd leave one for someone else.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Very True.

I used to be able to get Federal Champion bricks like you mentioned at my local Wally World any time of the day or night. They haven't had .22lr ammo for a year or so.

Virtually all my ammo comes from Cabelas (about 10 miles away). Even then I usually end up ordering it online and having it drop shipped for free.

I have boxes of CCI MiniMags with the original price sticker that showed a 1.7 cents a round cost. Purchased in early 1970's.

I even have some Federal bulk stuff at 3 cents a round. I paid about 6 cents a round for the Golden bullets.
I really like the Remington GB 1,400 round buckets.
It seems much more consistent than is was about 5 years back.
I try not to spend more than 6 cents per round & when Cabela's had them during this last crisis, I bought 6 of them. I also like the Federal Automatch & purchased a dozen of those also.
I am ready for the next crisis;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts