Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently picked up a Talo 0817 SBH in 44 mag and noticed this strange mark on the recoil shield after getting it home. At first I thought it was a roll pin but I don't remember seeing this on any other SBH including my Lipseys version of the same gun with a bisley. Can anyone advise, is this normal or some kind of roll pin?

-Freq

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
That's the pin that secures the firing pin assy. All the Ruger revolvers have them except for the some of the newest models that now have a threaded bushing assy. Usually they do such a good job blending in the pin ends that they are nearly invisible. Your example not so much. But I have seen several like yours so it's not terribly uncommon.

·
Registered
397 Posts
That's the pin that secures the firing pin assy. All the Ruger revolvers have them except for the some of the newest models that now have a threaded bushing assy. Usually they do such a good job blending in the pin ends that they are nearly invisible. Your example not so much. But I have seen several like yours so it's not terribly uncommon.
^^^Yep, what Waveform said.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Waveform,

Thanks for that new factoid. I didn't know that. Is there any indication of the threaded style bushing, like a screwdriver slot?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Added another pic to make sure we are talking about the same thing. Again my Lipseys bisley version of the same gun doesn't have this mark. It doesn't look like a roll pin, and I have never seen this on another SBH.

-Freq

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Added another pic to make sure we are talking about the same thing. Again my Lipseys bisley version of the same gun doesn't have this mark. It doesn't look like a roll pin, and I have never seen this on another SBH.

-Freq
Yep we are talking about the same thing. It is not a roll pin in the literal sense of the word. It is a pin similar to the pin that holds the rear sight in place for example only larger. Until just recently with the advent of the threaded firing pin assy (which I have personally seen on the SP101 and the GP100 and presumably will be on all future revolvers eventually) all Ruger revolvers have had that pin there from the dawn of Ruger time. You just haven't noticed it before because they do a good job finishing it into the frame and polishing it out until it becomes nearly invisible. But it's there. On a blued gun it disappears in the finish.

You can usually spot them in a stainless gun if you catch the light just right. In your example it's pretty obvious though.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Waveform,

Thanks for that new factoid. I didn't know that. Is there any indication of the threaded style bushing, like a screwdriver slot?
Hey Hondo - yes, when you see one it's very obvious. It's threaded into the rear of the frame and it takes a special "snake eye" bit that I don't think is availble from Brownell's. Give them time. I recall in a thread that Iowegan mentioned making a bit to fit from a flat blade screwdriver tip. He was finding a lot of early examples had threaded holes that were not properly cleaned out and the bits of metal were causing the assembly to not be seated fully. This was creating transfer bar issues if I remember right. There are photos in threads here but I'm too fuzzy to know where to look for them.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Freq - if you look in your owner's manual in the back is an exploded view diagram with all the parts. The pin is item 9 in the drawing, "Recoil Plate Cross Pin".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey thanks for the detailed info, much appreciated!

I literally cannot find any visual evidence anywhere on my other SBH or sp101. Thanks again, I thought maybe there was an issue/gun needed to go back to ruger.

-Freq

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
When installed properly, you'll need Magnification and good light to see it.

Roll pins are hollow and split lengthwise for a spring fit. Ruger only uses them for the grip frame locating dowel since the 1970s.

It's a 'solid' pin with a slight interference fit. Open the loading gate, look in the trough, and you'll see the other end of the pin hole.

To fix it, drive out slightly from the loading gate end. Peen to fill the gap, sand flush and replicate satin finish with a scotch guard pad from the hardware store.

Jim

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Hey thanks for the detailed info, much appreciated!

I literally cannot find any visual evidence anywhere on my other SBH or sp101. Thanks again, I thought maybe there was an issue/gun needed to go back to ruger.

-Freq
Well that's the way it's supposed to be and usually is - invisible. But they're there. If you ever break a firing pin (extremely remote chance) the pin has to be removed in order to get the firing pin and spring out.

There have been one or two other threads in recent years here with the same cosmetic "flaw" so you're not the first to notice this.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
It's not a snake-eye bit, it's a spanner tip - two pin holes that straddle the center of the firing pin retaining bushing.

These pics are of Super Redhawks, but they're going this way with the SA models, as I understand it. You can see the recoil plate retaining pin in one of the pics, what it SHOULD look like at least, i.e. barely perceptible.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I wonder if the new Bisley 454 and 480 have this new recoil plate.
I would bet not, but would hope so. :(

Ruger's going this direction with all of their models. Less hand fitting, more mechanical assembly - and frankly, it's dang nice having a more serviceable firing pin.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts