Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot my MkIII last Saturday and after the range trip field stripped it and cleaned it. I've done this about four times and am aware of the typical problems.

I could not get the bolt lock pin back in so I lowered it and took the bolt out and the barrel off the gun.

The mainspring housing will not come out of the grip frame now. It will slide up and down but not ALL the way up. The hammer and hammer strut are not interfering. The housing seems to be pivoting on a point that would be where the infernal lock is located and I'm wondering if that broke or worked it's way out and now is preventing removal of the housing. I've never used the lock. The clearances are so narrow that I can't really see what's going on in there.

I'm thinking of taking it to a gunsmith but I don't really know if they will be able to get it out either and don't want to incur a labor charge if he can't fix it. Should I just send it to Ruger? :confused:

I'm out of ideas about how to get it out of there.

·
Banned
56 Posts
try reinserting an empty magazine in the handle and pull the trigger. I have seen them lock up like this before. If memory serves; there is something that gets in a funk and that's how I have released it. I can't remember why this worked. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Remember that there should be no magazine in the pistol when you remove the Mainspring Housing Assembly.

Remember that you must dry fire the pistol before removing the MHA. So you cock the pistol, insert an EMPTY magazine, pull the trigger, hear the hammer fall, then remove the MHA.

You'll get it. These new pistols are TIGHT when new and even when not new. :eek:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can lower the main spring housing to clear the barrel, bolt and grip frame. I can take the bolt out and the barrel off but cannot get the MHA out of the grip frame. It came out without issue when I field stripped it but it got stuck during reassembly and I can't get it out now whether the barrel and bolt are on the gun or not.

I've tried magazine in, magazine out, hammer cocked, hammer uncocked, trigger pulled and grip frame rotated in all directions. It won't let go.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
By the looks of the picture. The main sping housing is jammed between the bottom of the frame and the pin is jammed up aganist that little pin the hammer strut lays in front of and everythings wedged in. Maybe Bullseye will chime in with a way to get it out. But I bet you thats what it is. I just pulled one of my MK's out and pulled the main spring housing open and that sure looks like what happened. By the look of mine maybe if you pull the bootom of the housing stright out and pull real hard it may come out. But don't pull down on it ,it will only jam more if that's possible.

·
Registered
219 Posts
By the angle of the bolt stop pin shown in your photo, it looks like it's wedged against the safety. Pull off the grip panels, and remove the hammer pin. Be careful to remember all of the parts that this pin holds: safety, hammer, disconnect, and everyone's favorite...the magazine disconnect. As long as you're removing the pin to unjam everything, order one of Sam Lam's bushings to replace the magazine disconnect. You'll be happier with the pistol afterward...:)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bolt stop pin is free on its pivot. I can move the MHA down and place the pin through the hole in the frame though it is not there now. Once in the hole where it belongs I cannot push it up straight because the MHA will not move away from the grip frame enough.

The hammer and hammer strut are free and not binding on anything.

Something on the MHA is hanging up on the backstrap of the grip frame and it seems to be hanging up just below the small recatangular indent on the MHA which I think is where the internal lock mechanism is located which is why I suspect the infernal lock.

Thanks for the ideas, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm confused as to why you took off the barrel w/o first removing the main spring housing. This video has helped me. I must admit I rarely even remove the barrel on these. Go to Tech Tips. I might call Ruger if I were you. Jawge
Ruger Videos
I didn't. I was putting the gun back together and that's when the MHA got stuck and would not let me fully insert the bolt stop pin. I then removed the bolt and barrel trying to see what was going on.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I just looked at the expoled view of the MK. I think the part you're jamed up with is part #50 sear pring stop pin. My quess and it's only a quess is your going to have to remove the grips and remove this pin. But be aware that the sear spring is being held in place by this pin.Go to gun talk online (Bullseyes site. And go to the maintance secction and he walks you thru a complete take down. Here's the link. you shouln't have to completly take the gun down just remove the pin you my not even have to take it out all the way. Agian I'm guessing but that sure looks like what happened.
http://www.guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nope, not the sear spring stop pin, I can wiggle the MHA enough to get a clear view of that pin and it's not in the way. I can also manage to see part 54 the spring back up pin.

What I can't get a look at is part 53, the lock pin and I think that's the culprit but I don't see any way to get at it.

I'll check in Bullseye's site tonight.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Mk lll problem

By the angle of the bolt stop pin shown in your photo, it looks like it's wedged against the safety. Pull off the grip panels, and remove the hammer pin. Be careful to remember all of the parts that this pin holds: safety, hammer, disconnect, and everyone's favorite...the magazine disconnect. As long as you're removing the pin to unjam everything, order one of Sam Lam's bushings to replace the magazine disconnect. You'll be happier with the pistol afterward...:)
I agree. The pin is jambed in next to the safety assembly.:confused:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I agree. The pin is jambed in next to the safety assembly.:confused:
No, it is not jammed, I can pivot it away from the position shown in the photo, it pivots freely.

Thanks for trying though. :)

To clarify, I can slide the MHA up and down the backstrap of the grip frame. I cannot slide it up as far as I should be able to and I cannot get it out of the backstrap of the grip frame. I can get the bolt stop pin throught the hole in grip frame but I can't keep it vertical because the MHA won't let go of the grip frame. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
No, it is not jammed, I can pivot it away from the position shown in the photo, it pivots freely.

Thanks for trying though. :)

To clarify, I can slide the MHA up and down the backstrap of the grip frame. I cannot slide it up as far as I should be able to and I cannot get it out of the backstrap of the grip frame. I can get the bolt stop pin throught the hole in grip frame but I can't keep it vertical because the MHA won't let go of the grip frame. Hope that makes sense.
Good grieff Charlie brown!! Let us know how you make out. I'm sure you'll get it fixed. I just removed the mag saftey on one of mine today with a Tandemkross bushing. Just removed the grips and removed the Hammer pin that pretty much cleans up the rear of the gun except for the sear. It was no biggie. Good luck.

·
Registered
947 Posts

Thanks for trying though.

I see you've got quite a predicament there with your Mark III, one that I have not seen before. What appears to be happening is the Mainspring internal lock screw has backed out and is preventing the MS housing from being extracted from the frame. Most likely when you slid it downward there was enough of the screw showing that friction from the frame edge backed out the screw. The problem is getting at the screw to turn it into the housing. The only access hole for the key is just below the thumb safety button. It looks as if you can swing out the bolt stop pin, at the MS housing's lowest point in the frame, and guide it upward into the rear pin hole that you may be able to slide up the entire MS housing into the frame. Once up, you should be able to swing the housing into the frame and align the locking screw with the access hole until you can turn the locking screw back inward with the key. You may have to remove the hammer assembly to provide enough clearance from the hammer strut in order to fully close the MS housing.

If that won't work, then trying to guide the bolt stop up through the frame where the hammer assembly would normally go, when the hammer is removed, may provide enough clearance to slide the MS housing up and get at the screw through the key lock access hole in the frame.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I see you've got quite a predicament there with your Mark III, one that I have not seen before. What appears to be happening is the Mainspring internal lock screw has backed out and is preventing the MS housing from being extracted from the frame. Most likely when you slid it downward there was enough of the screw showing that friction from the frame edge backed out the screw. The problem is getting at the screw to turn it into the housing. The only access hole for the key is just below the thumb safety button. It looks as if you can swing out the bolt stop pin, at the MS housing's lowest point in the frame, and guide it upward into the rear pin hole that you may be able to slide up the entire MS housing into the frame. Once up, you should be able to swing the housing into the frame and align the locking screw with the access hole until you can turn the locking screw back inward with the key. You may have to remove the hammer assembly to provide enough clearance from the hammer strut in order to fully close the MS housing.

If that won't work, then trying to guide the bolt stop up through the frame where the hammer assembly would normally go, when the hammer is removed, may provide enough clearance to slide the MS housing up and get at the screw through the key lock access hole in the frame.

R,
Bullseye
Bullseye there's none better than you. I knew you'd pop up on this one. Is there any way to make sure this doesn't happen to any of my or anyboby elses MKIII's with the safety screw?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.