Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday I traveled to Shreveport, LA, about 2 hrs from where I live. We used I-49 all the way up and made good time. On the way back my wife and I decided to take the old Hwy 1. It was getting later in the evening, around 6:30, with plenty of sunlight left but starting to get in behind the trees. It was just for a change of scenery and because we were tired of being in a hurry. Mostly two lane, it was the old north - south main road before the interstate was built. About 25 minutes outside of town we were traveling along around 60 mph down a straight as an arrow section when I saw an animal lope across the road a couple hundred yards up in front of us. It looked funny, kinda slinky, about the size of a small German Shepard but didn't run like a dog. At first I thought was a coyote, which we have plenty of out in the boonies. The profile and run just didn't fit and I found my foot off the gas and letting the car slow down. On the left side of the road were rolling hills, with a wire fence seperating a pasture full of black and white cows from the road. There is about twenty feet of grassy area before you get to the fence. That's where the mysterious beast had emerged.
On the right was a long slope of grass dropping down off the roadway probably 75-100 yards and into heavy underbrush and thickly grouped trees. Almost looked like the rough on a golf course as it must have been cut within the past couple of weeks. As I slowed down to about 45 and started scanning the side of the road my wife asked what in the world I as doing. I started to explain about the interesting sighting and saying it must be long gone when I saw it standing there not more than 50 feet off the side of the road, looking like it was frozen in mid-stride, left paw out in front and back legs half crouched, bushy tail down low just out of the grass. And head turned looking straight back at me as I went by. All copper colored with lighter areas down the front and on the underbelly, huge head, smart eyes, and sleek body, it sent the hair on the back of my neck standing straight up. I motioned to the wife and said -"look there , is that really a mountain lion? Do they live out here?"
Yep, I guess they do. But they call them cougars, and as I found out today there are a couple alledged sightings a year scattered around the state. Guess they will just have to add mine to the pile. Sad thing is the wife was looking at me and never saw it. And if the image of that bad a$$ cat wasn't etched in memory back there behind the old eyeballs, I would be doubting it myself.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
yes but they grow up, nice to see from a distance.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Neat experience, Jimbo, I did 20 years in/around Shreveport and never saw one...or a coyote...wish you'd have been able to get some pics...did you report it to the possum cops? They keep records of sightings...some places....

·
Registered
576 Posts
We had a cougar in town a couple of years ago in a residential area just north and east of our middle school. The police shot it and ticked off a lot of people. It was a baby cougar...maybe 100 pounds or less. It crawled under a camper. After about 15 rounds or more being fired, the cougar was shot, the camper was shot, and the concrete was shot! Great marksman we have here! The town folks wondered if they HAD to shoot it. The animal people from Sioux Falls were ticked. I don't know what was right at the time, but that's what happened. Then last year, we had another cougar cross the highway going into a residential area about 4 miles west of town near Lewis & Clark Lake.

South Dakota now has a short season on cougars...the state is thinking about another season as there are more and more sightings...especially in the Black Hills, 360 miles west of here.

The cougars are roaming East toward us in Yankton, then on to Sioux City, IA along the river JUST BELOW OUR HOME. They have to be. They follow the river where they can get a drink. One cougar was sighted just west of Sioux City near Dakota Dunes, about 55 miles east of here, where my #2 son lives. Many think it was the same cougar that was seen 4 miles west of town. We have not had any human attacks that I am aware of, but I am sure some cats, dogs, sheeps, or other tasty morsels have been devoured.

sheepdog, is that the correct plural? One is a sheep and two or more are sheeps??? Time for me to quit again. Ta da!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Keith those are cute, but when they grow up and are with the momma until they are 2 yrs old they form a visious pack.

This picture was taken from a trail cam up our North Fork Rd, which runs north south across the river from Glacier National Park. Notice how good they're hearing is.... they heard the camera.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dawg, had the camera but like the six shooter, doesn't do any good in the carry bag in the back seat. I did call the LA Wildlife but no one showed any interest.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
JB, that IS a mean-lookin' mess of kitties...Jimbo...your hardware was WHERE??????? !!!!!!!!!!Good men are too hard to find to waste...use your bean, man...we can't afford to loose you...read my sig line...[:0] I hope I'm misunderstanding....

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for the confusion, the camera was in the bag in the back seat, not the SP. Was making a point that if it ain't available, ya can't use it when needed.

·
Registered
880 Posts
You sure don't fergit' th' things if you see one! Wife n' I were goin' down a narrow "timber road" on our place in east Texas when we saw one...pretty darn big, n' not appearing overly concerned about us or th' pickup. I stopped as quick as I could, got out...and the thing literally "disappeared" in the woods. Still don't see how.

Talked with the TPWD Game Warden assigned to the area and he said that he attributed the deaths of several horses in the area to a large cougar. He also commented that most folks were skeptical about big cats bein' around. He also mentioned that if one is shot, they'd like to know so that they could document size, weight, approximate age, etc...

·
Registered
191 Posts
We call them mountain lions out here in Arizona and we have plenty of them around. They seem to prefer peoples' pets to livestock for the most part. Easy prey for them. Between them and the coyotes, people don't allow their pets out at night even in their yard. When I built my house about 20 years ago, there was a mama lion and two cubs that lived in a cave in the side of a hill about 1/4 mile away. Locals used to see their tracks in their yards in the morning. Long gone from that area now, too much building. but the mountains around here are still full of them. No bounty, but licences are cheap and you can hunt them all year long.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Awesome experience Jimbo!

Not sure if we have those in Northern Wisconsin. We do have Bobcats though.

Earlier this evening my son was out trout fishing and he saw a big Gray Wolf. He said the Wolf just stared at him for a few moments, then took off into the woods.

JB and Keith - great pictures there.

Skunk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts