Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a guy at my club who shoots .220 Russian, Lapua brand. He shoots bullseye targets at 100 yards. Apparently the brass for this rather rare round is worth about $4.00 per case. After each session, he carefully gathers his brass, crimps the case mouths with a needlenose plier, and dumps them in the brass bucket for recycling.

What psychology could explain this behavior?

·
Registered
342 Posts
maybe the case met its service life?

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
He crimps them closed? Very strange.

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
What psychology could explain this behavior?
Unable to share with others? I don't know ... but it sure sounds odd.

Isn't .220 brass going for about a buck each? :confused:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Or maybe he's afraid someone else will reload it improperly & he'll wind up getting sued?

Or he's just a jerk. Either way. ;)

·
Registered
342 Posts
or is afraid someone will mistaken it for 223?

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Everyone, and I mean everyone, picks up their own brass at our range.
With the exception of .22 of course, which gets swept up and placed in a big drum for recycling.
If they are not picking it up to reload, they are picking it up for someone else that does.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
With the exception of .22 of course, which gets swept up and placed in a big drum for recycling.
If they are not picking it up to reload, they are picking it up for someone else that does.
If its reloadable I pick it up even if I don't reload that caliber. I traded a five gallon can of 40SW for five gallons of 9mm brass. It was a great deal for both of us.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Hmm... people must be more considerate in Australia. I usually have to wade through a floor littered with mountains of brass on my way to my spot at the range, then I have to brush them away with my feet once I get there so I can stand comfortably and then swish off the casings with my hands off the table as well. All the while the trash bin for spent casings on the side of the lane is nearly empty. :confused:

Needless to say I don't bother cleaning up my stuff... what's the point? :confused:

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Hmm... people must be more considerate in Australia.
Brass (for reloading) is a lot more expensive here.
And it a membership range, we're all members, so everyone pitches in.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hmm... people must be more considerate in Australia. I usually have to wade through a floor littered with mountains of brass on my way to my spot at the range, then I have to brush them away with my feet once I get there so I can stand comfortably and then swish off the casings with my hands off the table as well. All the while the trash bin for spent casings on the side of the lane is nearly empty. :confused:

Needless to say I don't bother cleaning up my stuff... what's the point? :confused:
Same here in Texas. All these other college kids don't shoot enough to bother reloading, so I have to brush it out of my way. Range says that all the brass casings are theirs, but if they aren't gonna pick them up, I sure will. It's like a second income :D

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
i've started keeping my 9mm brass, though i don't reload yet-- just on the premise that i might start. but now with several folks mentioning trading, i might start picking other stuff up to trade at a later date. anything to cut the costs of this addictive hobby.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I have probably 25,000+ rounds of brass cleaned, polished, and deprimed that I have picked up over the years at the range.

Maybe that fella doesn't like russians.

Ask him and see what he says.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Yup... America is the land of plenty. We take it for granted.
Brass (new) prices here (examples).
Remington .270 Win (50)..... $45.05
Remington .45 C (100)..... $60.40.
Starline a little cheaper when you can get it.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I am thinking that maybe he had loaded the cases as much as he felt he could and was making sure they wouldn't be scrounged and hurt somebody?
I am a brasshound, if it doesn't get shot it get traded or sold!
James, that is crazyness! I think we already pay too much for brass here when i can buy 50 loaded rounds for what 100 new brass costs for my SBH! I can't imagine paying that but i guess you take what you can get! Starline is my favorite brass, i wish more places stocked it in town, that'd make new brass worth it for me!

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Either that or he's just a tight wad and doesn't want anyone else benefiting from his brass.

If so, that's not the only thing that's brass! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts