Ruger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have an old blued P90 and it would shoot anything I stuffed in it. A while back I loaded up some Oregon Trail Laser Cast bullets for the .45 acp and I've shot quite a few of them through my KP97D and Taurus PT1911. Once I got the taper crimp right, both guns fed them like candy. I have a new KP90D that I had only shot about a 150 factory rounds through. I took it to the range Tuesday night and it won't feed the reloads at all. Every one needed a bump on the back of the slide to get it to chamber completely. Dang thing is really accurate though. I just can't figure out why these don't chamber. I ran every one of them through a Dillons case gauge as I loaded them. I still have a box or 2 left. I guess I will use the barrel out of the KP90D as a gauge and try to see what is causing the problem. Could be a rough feed ramp I guess. The gun was squeaky clean before I shot it. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Swollen cases or case lube on the bullet? I'd try washing the bullets in alcohol on a few and checking the loaded rounds in a barrel out of the gun at a 45 degree angle to see if they'd drop in-if they seat with a bump I'd say the bullet's dragging-swollen cases would be harder to push home-the case lube I used to use was like velcro-I hated it....

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
rman, my Springfield Ultra Compact had the same problem. I polished the feed ramp & cured the problem. Heck, it looked plenty smooth to start with!

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you might be right Kansas. As I said, I ran every round through the Dillon case gauge and they all dropped in and fell out. I also wiped the bullets off good when I was finished loading. My feed ramp looks smooth, but I can't think of anything else it could be. It did it with both magazines, but I have other Ruger .45 mags I can try. I guess they could be trying to feed the round at the wrong angle or something.

·
Registered
12 Posts
rman, My P345 has had the same malady. Here are a few things to try: Make sure that your flair die opens the mouth of the case enough not to shave lead and lube. Don't just be satisfied with wiping the lube from the case but also wipe the built up lube and lead from the bullet. I use fine steel wool on both the case mouth and the finished bullet. Secondly, check for roughness or burs on extractor and firing pin hole. Polihing the feed ramp probably won't help much because the problem is at the end of the return to battery. P.S. I have noticed by backing the sizing die out 1/2 turn that residue blowback is reduced. Hope this helps! DAY

1 - 5 of 5 Posts