Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, when considering the purchase of an XD45 (before I plunked down the long green for my P345), I saw some literature speaking of the XD45 being a "striker fired" weapon. I didn't understand that then, and still don't. How does this differ from the manner in which the 345 is fired? Thanks!

Amistad
'ever in quest of knowledge'

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,140 Posts
Your P-345 has a hammer and a firing pin. The "striker" guns basically combine the two into a spring loaded firing pin. When you pull the trigger, the striker springs forward and smacks the primer, gun goes bang, slide comes back and "recocks" the striker. No hammer involved. The weight of the striker and strength of the striker spring replace both the firing pin and hammer.

Good news: a simple design, pretty fool proof.

Bad news: To date, Ruger hasn't sold any.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Most striker fired pistols lose double strike capability, meaning if you have a not up to par primer on a round you have to re-rack to slide in order to pull the trigger again (Taurus is an exception to this) With a Ruger or Sig, you can pull the trigger again, likely igniting the primer and firing the shot.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Whats also good to know about hammer less designs is some are half retension some full or double action only. Double action only means the trigger pushes the firing pin against a spring to were the sear releases the firing pin and the spring launches it back to a resting position. Glocks are a half retension which is why they have a light trigger pull but require you to depress the trigger inorder to disasemble them. Glocks will not disasemble if the spring has tension. The full retention only means the trigger only releases the firing pin so when a round is chambered the pin is always under full spring load ready to go much like locked and cocked single action pistols. Its simply a new way to make a hammer less striker design.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts