Ruger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. My new Colt Defender has one grip screw that is stuck to the bushing, so that when I unscrew it, the bushing comes out, but not the screw. It came that way out of the box. The other three are fine and I've tightened the other bushings just in case.

The grips are the Hogue wrap-arounds, made from hard rubber and the screws are recessed. The only thing protruding is the bushing threads and I don't want to bugger them up.

I tried using green loctite on the troublesome bushing and waited until next cleaning before trying to remove the screw again. No luck. The bushing still came out.

I'm not sure what else to do. It's not preventing me from cleaning my gun, but it's just not right... and it bugs me! I've thought of getting a new screw and bushing and then using a pair of vice grips or something on the bushing. worst comes to worst, I can buy a new Hogue grip and bushing/screws. But that's admitting defeat! :p

Anybody else have this problem with a solution that works?

· Banned
402 Posts
Red locktite is the color to use, In most cases the bushing is toast.
It gets destroyed taking it off the screw and a new bushing is needed.
Seems they don't stake em on anymore, at least not all.
I doubt you will get it to stay in place trying to tighten it as a unit (screw and bushing)
The threads are very fine and you run the risk of stripping the frame.
The bushings are made soft and can't take to much abuse.
Send it back, let a smith do it,
get a new bushing and ask Colt what they use to keep them in place,
new bushing try the red locktite,
get a staking tool or lend one and stake a new bushing on,
In any event make sure the bushing does not protrude to far into the frame, it can interfere with mag in and out function.

· Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys. I'll tinker with it a little more but I'll buy some new bushings and screws first. It's only one and I can easily remove the grip, just nit that one screw.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.