Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone own or know anything about stun guns? My wife has been thinking about one for times when she leaves work and the parking lot is a good place for bad guys. We live in Virginia but she works in a very gun unfriendly state, Maryland. Plus I don't think she's quite comfortable enough with a handgun.

But something is better than nothing, and so when she said she wanted one, I am happy to get her a good one. Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Well, stun gun is definitely not what she wants. It has much more cons than pros. I would go for kerambit knife or pepper spray.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
if you are talking the contact model, that is the problem--you must be in contact distance to use it. Yes they do work but they are a bit clumsey in use.

If a firearm is out of the question, perhaps a good oc pepper spray delivery system. Depending on your needs you can go with the fogger system that reduces the chances for a miss or the stream system if more concerned about indoors and cross contamination. This can increase the safety distance so instead of being in contact distance you can create a 15' defensive zone. The stuff works well and will enable an escape.
There are numerous styles of oc sprays out there in all shapes and sizes from pen and key ring models to larger police cansiter styles. Some even come in delivery systems that look like ink pens and pagers and so forth. i carry this stuff:
http://defensivechemicals.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$QZCAXLQAAAMRTTZENUGZPQWPERWRJPX0?UCIDs=512443%7C585781&PRID=288923

I don't know if oc is legal in your state.
+ keep the wind out of your face if you go fogger. Stream a bit safer in the wind.
in my experience, bigger is better as far as the delivery system is concerned. the smaller ones reduce the effective range to around 5'.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Deputy, I'm with you on that. The only thing worries me here is a user. Any spray needs to be checked from time to time - it hates dirt and dust, it may leak, and it must be always easily accessible. So, the carrying lady needs to be aware of those factors, and not to forget she is "armed". ;)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
+1 blade

·
Registered
681 Posts
I am with 'deputy' on this one, anything that one has to be that close (contact) can and will be used against one possibly.......
most we know, keep, carry, or hang a 'pepper spray' or CS, CN, whatever on their 'key chain' or off or on the dash board, near the steering column, "handy"........now if there are children involved or around, different story. No need for letting little fingers "play"...

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
The taser model that i once used, the effective distance was i think 15' and a one shot deal firing two probes simotainoulsy. Was trained to use it as a contact stun gun in case the probes missed the bg--what we called a "drive stun"----drive the point of the prongs into the bg and stun should the probes miss or miss-fire---which is always a possibility. Or again use it as a contact weapon if facing more than one bg. Cost back then to us was $15.00 for that one shot of prongs---don't know what it is today but it quickly beomes cost prohibitive to practice unless you got deep pockets like an agency. Does require a degree of shooting skills and aiming with a mush trigger. If you miss, you are back in the same boat of having to be in contact distance to use it. There is a manual of arms that you need to learn as far as handling a miss-fire and reloading.

Fear factor is high. In useage, however, the suspect is extremely angry and pis*** afterwards. Suspects have been known to be back in the fight after the stun which is why taser training keeps mentioning the ability to keep applying juice to the suspect to keep him down. At some point depending on location and circumstances, the wife is going to need to get out of the area. Once contact is broken, she is left with a contact weapon against on very pis*** bg or a contact weapon against his partner unless she can reload the taser under stress. The bg will still have hand/eye coordination and able to use a weapon afterwards.
With oc spray, the bg will also be pis***, but he will be temporarily blinded for around 10 minutes and not able to pursue very well at all or be able to aim a weapon much to fire at her since he will have exteme difficulty in seeing and breathing. It can handle multiple targets better than a taser should it be a group attack. It is much less expensive and you can practice with it more and requires less accuracy standards. At one time we had "inert" practice cans of oc for training--don't know if they still make these harmless practice devices that discharged a harmless spray any more but they enabled practice indoors for delivery.

As with any weapon be it taser, oc, gun, knife, or whatever---once in a blue moon you'll run into that bg that just doesn't give a da**. It happens.
As you can guess, I am a stronger advocate of oc pepper spray. I have used it with probably a 99% sucess rate as i don't ever believe anyting in 100%.

Best advice i can give would be to supplement what ever defensive system you go to with some self defense classes.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Litterly the hot stuff in hot peppers(oleoresin capsicum). here is a much better descriptive link that says more than i can. I don't pay any attention to what the ACLU says in the article as they whine about everything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleoresin_capsicum

·
Registered
693 Posts
Rugerguy, it's bad idea to keep naked OC in a car - some direct sunlight exposure or overheat, or even freezing cold may destroy the canister.

Deputy, all kinds of [electric] shockers are designed to stop an "average-normal" person. That means if BG is under influence, adrenaline rush or even shock, they may not work on him at all. Also, the effectiveness depends on the season and weather conditions, e.g. humidity and BG's cloth quality will play role too. You're right - it's better to stop attacker in a range, but have be ready for close encounter as well. So, training is a must anyways.

Eddie, this is a good one:
http://www.geardiary.com/2006/11/09/the-cobra-stunlight-review/

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
thats why i said in a blue moon with any weapon system;)---there is always a horror story of a failure out there be it stun, spray or gun.
I was an idiot [8] and actually volunteered along with a few other officers to get tasered. Yes, it put me straight down and kept me down while the juice was flowing but i was back up in short order and functioning after switched off. You're right in that clothing and other variables will affect how well a taser will perform. This is no bull--recently an agency south of me used a taser on a guy soaked in gasoline---care to guess what happened? Still under investigation.

Been oc sprayed as part of training as well. When oc first came to the dept, requirement was for everyone carrying it to get a dose of it as demostation as to its effetiveness. Brass concerned about baton usage causing injuries to bg at the time and wanting to reduce it by giving us another option. Made a lot of believers that day including me. Won't put you down and really pis*** you off but you can't see to get to the instructor to whip his a** [}:)]:(:(. With oc pepper, you still have to handle a violent oc blind badguy who can still struggle and swing violently even though he can't see where to swing. Fortunately the next year that policy was changed to volunteer. Only the rookies tried it and they found out!!![^]
Been on the training end of tear gas as well--think oc is still better for our purposes but that was no picnic either![V]

That's a neat flashlight delivery system there! light, oc, and impact weapon in one!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Oh I didn't mean to "store it" in the car but to keep it readily handy, as I said mount it or hang it near the steering column, so one can get it "at hand" not have to reach over in a purse or the glove box or such to grab it and spray someone coming in or at the window trying to get you. Yes, obviously one must have the window down before spraying...also if you are walking to your car or whereever, it should be 'ready" ( handy) not in the bottom of your purse. Heck, one can even carry their car key, between their fingers and pointed out to use as a weapon to "jab"..... lots of common ordinary stuff to be taught, learned or know about
as 'deputy' said it also takes a bit of training to "know , when and where or how " to react, but one has to carry an "air of confidence" in themselves also, the bad guys "know" who the weakest of the herd are at a glance, and will sigle out them and the oppertunity (opening?) geives them the 'edge'. Gotta be on your toes and prepared at ALL times......... you can have to biggest, baddest gun in the world, but if it's tucked away and someone comes up behind you and jabs a gun in your side, your back or your face, you ain't gonna do NOTHING..... now they don't even wait to do that ,,but will just stick you with whatever they have handy, and before you hit the ground, they will have your wallet out.... the element of surprise.We had one the 'BG' run out and smacked the guy in the head with a ball bat, picked him clean and was GONE...........:(

·
Registered
693 Posts
Deputy, being an idiot is a human nature - curiosity killed the cat, ya know. :D Once I played fool myself trying out a rubber bullet. It hurts as h**l but can't really stop BG if he badly wants to get you. As for ladies, my wife used to practice judo, and our daughter is currently taking a karate class twice a week. It may not be as effective as a handgun, but gives one enough self-confidence to handle critical situation.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Took a hit with a rubber bullet?--OUCH!!
Never done that one!

Sounds like your women folk are prepared!

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Thanks Eddie for starting this thread. I had never given it much thought until I read this thread. There is a great possibility that anyone might be in a situation where you couldn't use a gun. The OC spray could be an alternative until you could do something else. I ordered one to carry on my belt and one for Granny's purse. Use old codgers has to rely on something besides our strength and agility. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts