Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*Stupid Alert* <Now with Photo Proof> Dinged outside of barrel while removing sight.

***INCOMMING STUPIDITY DISCLAMER***

*Updated with pics in post #16 (first post of pg2)*

So I just got a 77/357 a little bit ago, and bought some goodies for it as well, a Skinner aperture sight and bipod. They just arrived yesterday and last night before bed I got all ancy and decided I was going to install them and snap a few pics for today.

To remove the rear dovetail sight, I decided to use what was readily available, a wide flat head screwdriver, a rolled up clean cleaning rag and a hammer. Rolled up the cleaning rag, put in between the screwdriver's head and the dovetail to prevent scratches and attempted to hammer the factory sight out as carefully as I could.

Nothing. Not a budge.

So now I'm thinking to myself, OK, I'm being too gentle. I begin to give it some good whacks, only to snap off the flip up part of the sight...

Great! Less room to work with! Oh well, I wasn't planning on using it anyway.

After the pause to pick up the pieces (flattop and adjustable blade), I also now realize that the screwdriver head had chewed it's way through the rolled up cleaning rag and has left a couple really beautiful dings on the barrel around the bottom of the dovetail slot!

Now I'm really mad, this is taking forever, getting worse, and yes, I'm tired, now I've screwed up my beautiful new rifle!

I sit back, and think, what the hell am I missing? Outside of a clear head and proper punch of course...

WD40!

I spray it down, wait a couple of minutes and pop the remaining bottom part of the rear sight right out, and the Skinner sight pops right in.

Bipod goes on like a champ...

So, now I've got some nice 'Bubba Fix' dings on the barrel of my new rifle and would like to know how to safely remove them (though part of me wants to leave it as a warning).

I don't have any pics of it due to sheer embarrasment, but I can snap some if it is necessary or would help.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Live and learn my friend...live and learn. We all have done stuff because we can't wait and before we know it, we regret it. Sorry can't help you taking out dings on a barrel. If it was a car body I'd say punch out out from the inside, but it is not sheet metal. I don't think body filler would look to good either. Anyways if it makes you feel any better I have a couple scratches on my slide on my SR9 and a couple on the frame from when I first put it away next to loose mags.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it was definately not a bright moment in my life. I was just hoping to at least minimize the damage if I can't fully get rid of it. They aren't super deep, but not simple surface scratches either so I don't know if something like scotchbrite pads would completely fix it or if there's another method that would be better.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Without seeing a photo, you might be able to smooth out the edges of the gouge with a Dremmel tool or something else, polish and touch up with liquid blue.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Without seeing a photo, you might be able to smooth out the edges of the gouge with a Dremmel tool or something else, polish and touch up with liquid blue.
Now THERE'S a great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p If you didn't think you could screw it up with a wrapped up screwdriver-you for sure won't be able to screw it up with a Dremmel:D

If you want to smooth out any rough edges might I suggest a micro file with a light touch perhaps???????

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yeah, it was definately not a bright moment in my life. I was just hoping to at least minimize the damage if I can't fully get rid of it. They aren't super deep, but not simple surface scratches either so I don't know if something like scotchbrite pads would completely fix it or if there's another method that would be better.
Good luck with whatever you try. I am sure others may chime in with good suggestions. As long as you did not jeopardize the function of the gun.....happy shooting.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Either san with 400 to 600 grit sandpaper or gently peen in any rolled up edges with a jewelry hammer. A scratch is like a scar and only add character, beside's haven't you ever heard that chick's dig scar's. ;o)

·
Registered
6,214 Posts
I dunno about that...

A Dremel tool in the wrong hands (like mine) is awfully likely to make things worse. If you have a deft hand with a Dremel, then by all means go to it, but my experience hasn't been good.

I'd recommend either leaving it alone or sticking to hand sanding or filing. If you do nothing, it won't get any worse, but if you try to "fix" it, there's always the chance it will end up worse.

Jim

·
Registered
597 Posts
Call Ruger and see what they recommend. MAYBE they will send you a new barrel without the sights at no charge in exchange for the one you have? Couldn't hurt to ask.

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
I'm afraid your gun is beyond repair and it is unsafe to shoot. I suggest you send it to me so I can dispose of it properly. ;)

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for the replies!

I will snap some photograghic evidence of 'things you shouldn't do real quick before going to bed' after work and update this thread accordingly.

I would like to stay away from the dremel, call me chicken at this point as the 'wound' is still fresh.

I will give the sand paper and scotchbrite pads a shot tonight by hand, and if worse comes to worse, save calling Ruger as my last ditch effort.

Hopefully the pics will give some better insight for you all.

Oh, and just for even more disclosure, the reason why I decided to just use what was in the kitchen instead of going to the garage where the real tools are was because our master bedroom is right above the garage, it was 2315 and my wife wakes up to mouse farts. Didn't want to deal with that 'conversation' and besides, [SARCASM]how could something so simple go wrong?[/SARCASM]

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, so after looking at it in the sunlight (or dwindling sunlight), it seems to not be as bad as I remember it. Still not pretty though...

I hit up Home Depot on the way home and snagged Norton MetalSand Emery cloth for removing rust paint and scale (assorted grits), and Norton SandWet 320 grit waterproof sandpaper.

Before I oil up some of either, anyone want to chime in with a better idea now that there are pictures? Was getting the MetalSand Emery cloth (assorted grits) overkill?

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hm.. I updated the thread title, twice now, but it doesn't register outside of the thread in the forum menu? Sorry for the double post mod gods, just trying to figure out if it's me or not.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@Tiger Ruger and TMB:

Yeah, now that I got a chance to see it in a little daylight, it doesn't seem quite so bad. As 'Bubba' as I was being, I really was trying to be as careful as I could. Chalk the overreaction up to being tired, frustrated and shock.

Still needs to go though. When this rifle earns battlescars, it can keep'em. But this one, this one it just doesn't deserve.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts