Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do i fix this?

sometimes while i am reading posts, everything fits within the borders of the screen as it should. every once in a while, when i click open a thread, things don't fit. the reading runs off the right hand side of the screen and i have to arrow over to finnish reading a line and then arrow back to the left to pick it up where it had left off. Rarely happens but it does. Does this have something to do with how a post was started or something different?
I can click on the next thread and everything is fine. go back to that problem post and it is still a problem.
Its a bit irratating so how do i fix it or prevent it from happening?

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
This is one for RNettles. I agree it would be good if the field length were the same in all the Forums. If we get the new software going, it probably would take care of it.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
If someone places a large image in a post, the wole topic expands to fit the image width... Like this...

The fix is...

1. Increase YOUR screen resolution to a higher rate, thereby being able to fit the larger images, or...
2. Complain to the people posting the HUGELY WIDE graphics...:)

I hope this answers your concerns.

·
Registered
540 Posts
There are usually two things that will cause a page to become wider than your screen, and require horizontal scrolling:

1. A long unbroken string of characters (no spaces between them, like in a long URL).

2. An embedded image that is wider than your monitor's resolution settings.

For number 1, there are plugins for Firefox that will wrap long unbroken strings of text characters, I have this one one installed and it works nicely:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2021

There may be something similar for IE.

For number 2, I don't know of much that can be done. If the image is wider than your screen's resolution, it's just going to cause scrolling.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Thanks also Tweek, installed it, now just got to figure how to use it on those posts.

I don't mind having to scroll because of people's pix sizes as I am
aware that if you begin to regulate the sizes much, a lot of folks
aren't prepared to manipulate their pix and will just give up and not
post them. As long as they aren't too bandwidth hungry and the mods
and admins aren't complaining then I will live with it.

For this post I just added some hard line breaks so
you won't have to scroll to read it.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the answers. Afraid i don't really know how to change screen resolution or how to change my pics to make them smaller. guess my pics are ok as they have not caused it to happen.
I don't have firefox.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts